PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshift variant druid - getting more AC?

aza9999
2013-05-29, 03:39 PM
I've started a shapeshift variant druid (PHBII pg 39).

One of the key things about it is that your gear that is held/worn melds into your body and becomes inactive, losing any bonuses, but you keep any current spells, spell-like, supernatural and extraordinary abilities.

I'm looking at ways of raising my AC in my forms (first form is a wolf-like predator form). You gain 4 natural ac in this form.

So far the things i know about are:
*1 level monk dip (im not really keen on this but it's possible)
*armor spells in wands etc cast before changing forms
*a monk belt which i take off before changing then get someone to put back on me once i shapeshift (a bit cheesy, GM might be unhappy)
*improved natural armor feat (1 ac for a feat is a little expensive for my tastes)

Any other suggestions? Or tips for a shapeshift druid in general?

Ketiara
2013-05-29, 03:46 PM
Wild armor enchantment from SpC.

eggynack
2013-05-29, 03:54 PM
It doesn't look like wilding clasps work, so that seems to be off the table. You can always use luminous or greater luminous armor from the book of exalted deeds. They give you hours/level of a +5 or +8 armor bonus to AC, that doesn't impact your dexterity's impact on your AC. Melee attacks also get a -4 to hit you, so that's neat as well. You get 1d2 or 1d3 points of strength damage respectively at the end of the spell's duration, but that's a loss that's easy to mitigate with restoration. The more I look at it though, the more I'm inclined to think that the shapeshift variant is strictly worse than not taking it at all levels. The only reason to take it is if you want your character to be worse, which is honestly probably an important upside in some situations, given how insane druids are.

AlanBruce
2013-05-29, 04:17 PM
I have a druid who chose that ACF in my game. He is now 12th level and enjoys going treant and smashing everything about.

As a DM, I allowed him to use the wild property, I believe, from CAdv. or the DMG, which allows him keep his AC bonus when shapeshifted (normally, it only applies to wildshape).

My reasoning behind it is that the shapeshifting is losing not only an animal companion, but the ability to cast spells in animal form. He's basically a tank. A spell-less tank all day.

Might as well give the tank a decent AC.

See if your DM allows it. It's not game breaking at all.

GeekGirl
2013-05-29, 04:39 PM
MiC has Beastskin enhancenemt, lets you keep your armor bonus while wildshaped. Though I'm not entirely sure how it will work with shapeshift.

eggynack
2013-05-29, 04:42 PM
It's kinda weird, actually. Shapeshift is pretty much universally worse than wildshape in every way, and it also loses access to all the cool items that wildshape can use. I'd always figured that it was only the first one that was true, and not the second one. Still, luminous armor is sweet no matter what you're doing. It basically obviates the need for regular armor, due to being generally better than armor in most conceivable ways. It has a cost, but it seems like a lower cost than spending all your cash on worse armor.

aza9999
2013-05-29, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure on the enchantments that work with wildshaping working with shapeshifting. The precise wording for shapeshifting is

All your held, carried, or worn gear melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional until you return to your normal form.

With the key word being "nonfunctional". I may have to put it to my GM to make a call on.

I understand shapeshift is most definitely weaker than wild shape, but i think it does return the druid back to a more average power level for a group that doesn't super-optimise, otherwise it would just end up with me turning into a t-rex and eating whole armies while the rest of the party stands back and has a smoke.

Plus it is a lot more versatile, being able to shift as many times a day as you like as a swift action.

The luminous armor spell looks good, so an item that can cast that would probably be perfect, otherwise the mage armor and shield spells would work well too.

Are there any ioun stones that give armor bonuses?

EDIT: A quick google showed that there is a dusty rose ioun stone which gives +1 insight bonus to AC

eggynack
2013-05-29, 05:00 PM
Why do you need an item that casts it? Just about every non-evil caster has it on their list, and druids know their whole list all the time. You can just cast the thing, and shapeshift afterwards with hours/level remaining in armor.

aza9999
2013-05-29, 05:04 PM
Where possible i'd prefer to save my spells for summon natures ally castings, especially at low levels

GeekGirl
2013-05-29, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure on the enchantments that work with wildshaping working with shapeshifting. The precise wording for shapeshifting is

With the key word being "nonfunctional". I may have to put it to my GM to make a call on.

I would allow it as DM.

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

Mostly because wildshape says almost the same thing. But like you said its up the the DM.

eggynack
2013-05-29, 05:33 PM
Where possible i'd prefer to save my spells for summon natures ally castings, especially at low levels
I suppose. I've never really liked SNA II that much though. I mean, hippogriffs are kinda sweet, but I think that dire wolf is where it really comes into its own as a viable tactic. Then you get giant crocodile at SNA IV, and become the best grappler in the party. Back to the point, a second level spell is a pretty low cost for free super-armor, especially if you don't get the cheap armor options of wildshape, like wilding clasped armor, or wilding clasped not-armor that gives AC. Also, casting is inexplicably also harder with shape shifting, because you can't cast in the shape shifted form.

aza9999
2013-05-29, 05:37 PM
The fact shapeshifting is a swift action with unlimited uses means it has a lot less impact on spellcasting than wildshape where you need to spend a feat.

You can cast, swift change, then move with your new 50ft movement all in a single round.

To cast in combat in form you make your attack, use your free mobility feat to help move away from the enemy, swift change back to human form. Or you can move away 50ft, swift change to human, then cast.

Immabozo
2013-05-29, 05:41 PM
Dont know how this wasn't mentioned, get an animated shield!

And a monk's belt is strictly better than taking a level in monk. at least usually.

aza9999
2013-05-29, 05:45 PM
Ooh! Animated shield, good one! The benefit to an actual monk level is always having the wis bonus to AC without need to mess around with taking equipment off and putting back on

Menzath
2013-05-29, 05:51 PM
Yeah thanks to the luminous armor spells mentioned above the barkskin/spiderskin/tortoise shell(not sure on the last ones spelling) and halo of sand you have a normal armor increase, a natural armor increase, and a deflection bonus.
Druids don't really have to worry about AC in any form as long as your enemies aren't dispelling like crazy.
And there is always cats grace for a dex bonus and the bite line of spells for some dex and A nat AC increase.

Rel18
2016-05-28, 10:23 AM
Im playing ecl16
shapshift druid+2 lev. dip in monk
also I took Vow of Povetry
So when i shift to Treant
AC- 10 +12natural armor+ 7 wis bonus
+9 exalted bonus +2 deflection bonus+2 nat. Armor bonus
All sum up AC 42 !!! (Didn't add Dexterity)
And that before casting Owl's insight /owll wisdom
+ exalted feat intuitive strike

When i buff Wisdom i boost magic ,AC and attack in a single spell

Take power attack , leap attack and the skill trick twisted charge and u are doing more damage then a fighter.
A Tank
a Summoner (Rapid spell feat) and
Massive damage dealer

Go go go Ogi