PDA

View Full Version : Alien Invasion - How can I do one?

gurgleflep
2013-05-29, 07:29 PM
I'm wanting to combine sci-fi with fantasy in my campaign when I actually get it up and running with little to no pauses, and need some advice as to how I could do an alien invasion. Typical stuff: people go missing in the night, cows going missing, probing, stuff like that.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/cimages/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/coast-to-coast/repository/photos/gray-alien-digital-sculpture/544100-1-eng-US/Gray-Alien-Digital-Sculpture_photo_medium.jpghttp://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02387/ufo_2387810b.jpg

I would like to have a race that isn't mind flayer's - they're my fallback race - and the typical aberrations, some form of laser weaponry, space-tech armor, some form of trans-dimensional teleportation/travel system, anything that fits. Are there any books I could get all of this from? We finally got a hobby shop in town (after nearly thirteen years) so I would be able to order one if they don't already have it in stock.

Any and all suggestions on how to do this would be much appreciated, I'm open to just about everything.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-29, 07:35 PM
What you want is the lords of madness, which has some really good aberrations of which can help you. Now, when you mean alien, do you mean outsiders from different planes, the trans-dimensional creatures from Complete Arcane, or monsters from the Material Plane but from different planets? Those are the three main, I believe. I think a refluffing of the neogi (and advancing their technology a few centuries) should work. The neogi were space-farers who enslaved and ran black markets at the planets they come to, not strong enough to wage war, but strong enough to do behind-the-curtain dealings. Giving them more advanced technology and advancing their literal space-ships (with sails) into more sci-fi type would work splendidly.

That gives me ideas for a minor faction...

Crasical
2013-05-29, 07:37 PM
Are you averse to importing things from other d20 systems? I believe that d20 Modern has Fraal, who are functionally Greys, and d20 Future and Future Tech should have some of the sci-fi shinies you're after

ArcturusV
2013-05-29, 07:38 PM
Well, it's not 3rd edition, but Spelljammer was in earlier editions almost exactly the sort of thing you'd be looking for as far as being able to bring Sci-Fi into a Fantasy setting.

Of course there's also sci-fi D20 games galore out there. And just as most of those games suggest porting in stuff from normal 3rd edition to stand in for Alien Monsters, etc, it can go in reverse as well.

Since I have PD stuff, I'd pull from that myself. Depending on how "Alien" you might want them to look. I'd probably use the Arcturians myself. Small, blue, some exaggerated features, looks "elfin" enough that your locals might think they are some extraplanar elf/halfling hybrid. Drop the Pacifist nature of the Satha'ri, and you get a race of psychics with built in DR who know everything that every other member of their race knows (or has ever known) on demand, who looks appropriately "Alien".

Or if you wanted a lizardlike race, you could combine the Gorns, Hildarians, and Gerlunians into one collective group of species, which would provide a range of archetypes among your aliens (Gorns, big, strong, tough, slow. Hildarians are fast little buggers. Gerlunians are good midliners with bonuses and no penalties).

gurgleflep
2013-05-29, 07:49 PM
What you want is the lords of madness, which has some really good aberrations of which can help you. Now, when you mean alien, do you mean outsiders from different planes, the trans-dimensional creatures from Complete Arcane, or monsters from the Material Plane but from different planets? Those are the three main, I believe. I think a refluffing of the neogi (and advancing their technology a few centuries) should work. The neogi were space-farers who enslaved and ran black markets at the planets they come to, not strong enough to wage war, but strong enough to do behind-the-curtain dealings. Giving them more advanced technology and advancing their literal space-ships (with sails) into more sci-fi type would work splendidly.

That gives me ideas for a minor faction...

Trans-dimensional would be nice, but out of curiosity: which book are the neogi in? I've not heard of them before now.
The space-ships sounds like a rather nice idea, I'm going to use that :smallbiggrin:

Are you averse to importing things from other d20 systems? I believe that d20 Modern has Fraal, who are functionally Greys, and d20 Future and Future Tech should have some of the sci-fi shinies you're after

I'm okay with importing stuff from the various d20 systems :smallsmile: I like lots of the stuff from the books I've had the time to go through.

Well, it's not 3rd edition, but Spelljammer was in earlier editions almost exactly the sort of thing you'd be looking for as far as being able to bring Sci-Fi into a Fantasy setting.

Of course there's also sci-fi D20 games galore out there. And just as most of those games suggest porting in stuff from normal 3rd edition to stand in for Alien Monsters, etc, it can go in reverse as well.

Since I have PD stuff, I'd pull from that myself. Depending on how "Alien" you might want them to look. I'd probably use the Arcturians myself. Small, blue, some exaggerated features, looks "elfin" enough that your locals might think they are some extraplanar elf/halfling hybrid. Drop the Pacifist nature of the Satha'ri, and you get a race of psychics with built in DR who know everything that every other member of their race knows (or has ever known) on demand, who looks appropriately "Alien".

Or if you wanted a lizardlike race, you could combine the Gorns, Hildarians, and Gerlunians into one collective group of species, which would provide a range of archetypes among your aliens (Gorns, big, strong, tough, slow. Hildarians are fast little buggers. Gerlunians are good midliners with bonuses and no penalties).

D20's always good.
What book can I find the Arcturian's and Satha'ri in? (And is that where you got your name from?) The Satha'ri seem to have a hive mind thing going on, that's pretty interesting - and gives me an idea!

Crasical
2013-05-29, 07:50 PM
Typical stuff: people go missing in the night, cows going missing, probing, stuff like that.

I also want to point out that peasants going missing and cows getting snatched by nighttime predators is probably not that uncommon in a DnD setting, while probing is probably gonna be a dead giveaway to the PCs that there's Aliens about.

Also how the heck are you planning on introducing that particular aspect? Some poor halfling farmer complaining that the abductors did things to him? Is it going to happen to a PC? :smallconfused:

What the heck kind of mechanical effect does getting probed by aliens have, anyway?

Menzath
2013-05-29, 07:56 PM
I think just about everything you mentioned wanting is done in D20 modern, which because of the title sort of fools you, but yes they have two or three futuristic/sci-fi books that deal with aliens and advanced weapons N' such.
And a section in one of the books talks about making alienish creatures.

ArcturusV
2013-05-29, 07:58 PM
Nah, I've used Arcturus for a long time. I'm a virgo, Arcturus is one of the brightest stars in it, always liked the sound.

The Arcturians can be found in the main Prime Directive book. The Satha'hi are found in Romulans D20.

Stat wise neither of them are all that impressive. Arcturians are Small, and have +2 Dex, -2 Con. 30 ft move. Low Light vision and comes with Defensive Martial Arts and Combat Martial Arts feats.

The Satha'hi are (By book) pacifists that have to pass a DC 22 Will save to do anything violent. But hell, you're the DM, drop it. Medium, 30 ft move. -1 Str and Con (They are typical skinny alien types). Eidetic Memory, can recall anything with a DC 12 Int check. Racial Memory, can recall anything anyone in their race has ever experienced (Including prior generations) with a DC 12 Int check. DR 15/- versus attacks using Radiation. Which if you use Radiation based Phasers means that if the players steal weapons they'll find them less than useful against their prior owners. Though still impressive enough to use against the locals.

gurgleflep
2013-05-29, 08:04 PM
I also want to point out that peasants going missing and cows getting snatched by nighttime predators is probably not that uncommon in a DnD setting, while probing is probably gonna be a dead giveaway to the PCs that there's Aliens about.

Also how the heck are you planning on introducing that particular aspect? Some poor halfling farmer complaining that the abductors did things to him? Is it going to happen to a PC? :smallconfused:

What the heck kind of mechanical effect does getting probed by aliens have, anyway?

Good point on the peasants and cows, I hadn't thought of that :smallredface:

I was thinking about starting it through an investigation. Some odd device crashed into the planet and the local heirarchy has them investigate - they're either too busy, in a state of fear, or aren't that concerned with it - while investigating, they'll come across an aberrant language on some form of translucent screen pop-up. A dead creature in the vehicle, maybe partially alive so they can ask it a series of questions before it finally croaks.

As for the probing: it was only brought up because it's something everybody thinks about when aliens are brought up. I think they're meant to learn something about whatever race is getting probed from it, that's just something I got from American Dad though (stupid show, but when there's nothing on TV...).

I think just about everything you mentioned wanting is done in D20 modern, which because of the title sort of fools you, but yes they have two or three futuristic/sci-fi books that deal with aliens and advanced weapons N' such.
And a section in one of the books talks about making alienish creatures.

I haven't come across any D20 books with alien stuff as of yet, but I've heard of various titles with the stuff I'm looking for in it.
Any idea what the aliens would be called?

Nah, I've used Arcturus for a long time. I'm a virgo, Arcturus is one of the brightest stars in it, always liked the sound.

The Arcturians can be found in the main Prime Directive book. The Satha'hi are found in Romulans D20.

Stat wise neither of them are all that impressive. Arcturians are Small, and have +2 Dex, -2 Con. 30 ft move. Low Light vision and comes with Defensive Martial Arts and Combat Martial Arts feats.

The Satha'hi are (By book) pacifists that have to pass a DC 22 Will save to do anything violent. But hell, you're the DM, drop it. Medium, 30 ft move. -1 Str and Con (They are typical skinny alien types). Eidetic Memory, can recall anything with a DC 12 Int check. Racial Memory, can recall anything anyone in their race has ever experienced (Including prior generations) with a DC 12 Int check. DR 15/- versus attacks using Radiation. Which if you use Radiation based Phasers means that if the players steal weapons they'll find them less than useful against their prior owners. Though still impressive enough to use against the locals.

Ah, well now I know something more about you :smallsmile:
I'll take a look into both of the books now - I don't have them personally, but one of my friends is into Star Trek and would have the Romulan's one :smallamused:
Regardless of them not being all that impressive, it's still a start and I thank you.
Eidetic Memory and Racial Memory? Oooh, another interesting mind type to work with!
Lasers sound interesting but I have a question on it: how do you reload them? I've not looked into any yet.

ArcturusV
2013-05-29, 08:09 PM
Again, only thing I have is PD. In there it's pretty standard magazine based. You get a power cell you slam in. Fire until it's dry. Depending on the weapon it's various action types to reload. Like replacing the box on a Repeating Laser is a full round action. Replacing the cell on a pistol would be a move action. Think most of them are move actions except heavy weapons.

Only "Tricky" one was dealing with Phasers. As they had multiple settings (Various levels of Stun and Kill) it worked off a charge system. So a Phaser-II pistol would have so many charges, 50 I think. And various attacks would drain charges at different rates. But hell, if you're used to dealing with stuff like wands, Staff of Power, Rod of Lordly Might, etc, not like it's that hard to keep track of the charges.

gurgleflep
2013-05-29, 08:14 PM
Again, only thing I have is PD. In there it's pretty standard magazine based. You get a power cell you slam in. Fire until it's dry. Depending on the weapon it's various action types to reload. Like replacing the box on a Repeating Laser is a full round action. Replacing the cell on a pistol would be a move action. Think most of them are move actions except heavy weapons.

Only "Tricky" one was dealing with Phasers. As they had multiple settings (Various levels of Stun and Kill) it worked off a charge system. So a Phaser-II pistol would have so many charges, 50 I think. And various attacks would drain charges at different rates. But hell, if you're used to dealing with stuff like wands, Staff of Power, Rod of Lordly Might, etc, not like it's that hard to keep track of the charges.

It all sounds simple enough. Charges will be a bit of a nuisance, but it's something I can deal with. Thank you yet again for the help you've given me, you do this quite a bit for me :smallsmile:

Zweisteine
2013-05-29, 08:19 PM
As was mentioned, the Neogi from Lords of Madness are the ideal bod-snatching alien race. They are known as "the slavers." and pretty much fly around kidnapping people.

They also look like furry bug-things, if I remember correctly.

gurgleflep
2013-05-29, 08:22 PM
As was mentioned, the Neogi from Lords of Madness are the ideal bod-snatching alien race. They are known as "the slavers." and pretty much fly around kidnapping people.

They also look like furry bug-things, if I remember correctly.

Sounds like the typical Gray but with a different look (furry? that's a first!), thank you :smallsmile:

THEChanger
2013-05-30, 12:34 AM
You have some other options as well. From Lords of Madness(same book you'll find Neogi in), you have more information on the Grell(originally featured in Monster Manual 1), as well as a new species of Aberration called the Tsochar. Grell, if you've forgotten, are strange floating brain-things with beaks and paralytic tentacles. Out of all the species in Lords of Madness, the Grell are the least expanded upon. However, you'll find that Grells crossed over from an alternate Material Plane through the Plane of Shadow-flying through a dark void to reach this Material Plane. Their magic also employs alchemy, and is based on "obscure physical laws"-IE, science.

The Tsochar, on the other hand, are known as the Wearers of Flesh, and live up to the name. Rather than any sort of single being, the Tsochar are tangles of sentient tentacles, each its own organism, that come together and operate as a symbiotic creature, each tentacle adding its own intelligence to the whole. As the Tsochar grow in size, the individual tentacles specialize and adapt their form to become more useful to the whole, but if a single tentacle survives, it can rejoin another Tsochar tangle-or worse, breed through cellular divison, and restart an infestation. But by far the most terrifying ability of the Tsochar is their skill at infesting other living organisms. They burrow into the bodies of hosts, and can either leave them alive and controlled through telepathic pain, or burrow into the brain, killing them outright and leaving the tangle in control of the body. And why do the Tsochar do this? Supposedly, to spread the worship of a dark and terrible deity. I think they do it because it is fun.

Of course, you have still other options. The Ethergaunts are a race of immensely powerful creatures from the Astral Plane, a race of atheist, plane-hopping conquerors, who combined massive arcane power with scientific knowledge and weaponry. They are found in the Fiend Folio, but the least among them, the Red Ethergaunt, has a challenge rating of 9. They are powerful foes, and may not be appropriate until later in your campaign.

If you want to spice up your usual fare of Mind Flayers, consider bringing in elements of the Thoon, found in Monster Manual 5. Flayers of Thoon have been further corrupted by the Far Realm, or perhaps an entity therein-the exact identity of Thoon is unclear, but these Flayers profess absolute loyalty to it. Their mission to extract a substance called quintessence from various forms of life gives them a reason for abduction, and they have a variety of constructs and weaponry powered by this substance.

My final suggestion would be perhaps using a race related to the Flayers-the Githyanki. They are often known as the Raiders of the Astral, and have that almost-human-but-not-quite vibe often desirable in alien invaders. They were once inhabitants of the Material Plane, until the Ithilid took them and molded their ancestors into a form more useful to them. Perhaps now they and their lich-queen feel they are strong enough to take back what was once theirs. This could lead to further conflicts with the Flayers, as Gith ships are often stolen and modified Ithilid technology.

gurgleflep
2013-05-30, 12:52 AM
You have some other options as well. From Lords of Madness(same book you'll find Neogi in), you have more information on the Grell(originally featured in Monster Manual 1), as well as a new species of Aberration called the Tsochar. Grell, if you've forgotten, are strange floating brain-things with beaks and paralytic tentacles. Out of all the species in Lords of Madness, the Grell are the least expanded upon. However, you'll find that Grells crossed over from an alternate Material Plane through the Plane of Shadow-flying through a dark void to reach this Material Plane. Their magic also employs alchemy, and is based on "obscure physical laws"-IE, science.

The Tsochar, on the other hand, are known as the Wearers of Flesh, and live up to the name. Rather than any sort of single being, the Tsochar are tangles of sentient tentacles, each its own organism, that come together and operate as a symbiotic creature, each tentacle adding its own intelligence to the whole. As the Tsochar grow in size, the individual tentacles specialize and adapt their form to become more useful to the whole, but if a single tentacle survives, it can rejoin another Tsochar tangle-or worse, breed through cellular divison, and restart an infestation. But by far the most terrifying ability of the Tsochar is their skill at infesting other living organisms. They burrow into the bodies of hosts, and can either leave them alive and controlled through telepathic pain, or burrow into the brain, killing them outright and leaving the tangle in control of the body. And why do the Tsochar do this? Supposedly, to spread the worship of a dark and terrible deity. I think they do it because it is fun.

Of course, you have still other options. The Ethergaunts are a race of immensely powerful creatures from the Astral Plane, a race of atheist, plane-hopping conquerors, who combined massive arcane power with scientific knowledge and weaponry. They are found in the Fiend Folio, but the least among them, the Red Ethergaunt, has a challenge rating of 9. They are powerful foes, and may not be appropriate until later in your campaign.

If you want to spice up your usual fare of Mind Flayers, consider bringing in elements of the Thoon, found in Monster Manual 5. Flayers of Thoon have been further corrupted by the Far Realm, or perhaps an entity therein-the exact identity of Thoon is unclear, but these Flayers profess absolute loyalty to it. Their mission to extract a substance called quintessence from various forms of life gives them a reason for abduction, and they have a variety of constructs and weaponry powered by this substance.

My final suggestion would be perhaps using a race related to the Flayers-the Githyanki. They are often known as the Raiders of the Astral, and have that almost-human-but-not-quite vibe often desirable in alien invaders. They were once inhabitants of the Material Plane, until the Ithilid took them and molded their ancestors into a form more useful to them. Perhaps now they and their lich-queen feel they are strong enough to take back what was once theirs. This could lead to further conflicts with the Flayers, as Gith ships are often stolen and modified Ithilid technology.

So many ideas! :smallbiggrin:

I like the grell, they're not used as often as they should be. I've only ever seen them used once, and that was as a bartender (lets just say the DM wasn't the most creative).

I like the idea of Tsochar forming their own body and also being able to take over bodies could get turned into quite the interesting ordeal. Would they be able to penetrate a body and keep it "alive," use its own memories and personality to act as though it is them and infiltrate something though?

I'll see if a friend has a copy of the Fiend Folio, I don't think I've got it. How many.

THOON!! Love them, their story, and their kind. I like their infiltrators as well. They've got so many things that can be done with them! Hulking behemoths, stealth, espionage... You get the idea. MM5 has them, I know this :smallbiggrin:

With the Gith and Flayer bit, would it be wise to have them as two different alien orders, both of which trying to stop the other?

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-30, 01:05 AM
I like doing a Necron invasion with Rudimentary Intelligence Shadesteel Golems.

ArcturusV
2013-05-30, 01:06 AM
Either that or they could be like the aliens in Through the Looking Glass.

One alien species invades. They get stymied early on. At the same time another, gentler looking species makes contact with the natives, pledges to help them against the invaders.

... ends up the secondary species are puppets of the first.

So the Mindflayers invade. Gith come and promise help. Gith are actually the servants of the Mindflayers. Plus more metagaming players, who know OOCily that Gith are rebels against the flayers, won't see it coming.

gurgleflep
2013-05-30, 01:10 AM
I like doing a Necron invasion with Rudimentary Intelligence Shadesteel Golems.

I know of the Shadesteel Golem, but I've not heard of a Necron. Where can I find it?

Either that or they could be like the aliens in Through the Looking Glass.

One alien species invades. They get stymied early on. At the same time another, gentler looking species makes contact with the natives, pledges to help them against the invaders.

... ends up the secondary species are puppets of the first.

So the Mindflayers invade. Gith come and promise help. Gith are actually the servants of the Mindflayers. Plus more metagaming players, who know OOCily that Gith are rebels against the flayers, won't see it coming.

This is cruel and unusual! You're a sick-minded individual for even coming up with something so devious and sinister! I like it :smallamused:

Crasical
2013-05-30, 01:17 AM
I know of the Shadesteel Golem, but I've not heard of a Necron. Where can I find it?

They're killer robots from the Warhammer 40k universe. They have a detailed backstory involving ancient gods, trickery, betrayal, and whatnot, but they're functionally just undead-themed killer robot hordes.

ArcturusV
2013-05-30, 01:20 AM
Also Necrons are more or less completely mundane. With "Ultra Mundanes" among their troops who's very presence would be like an ultra "No, you lose" AMF against Casters. No, not even Orb of _____s.

gurgleflep
2013-05-30, 01:29 AM
They're killer robots from the Warhammer 40k universe. They have a detailed backstory involving ancient gods, trickery, betrayal, and whatnot, but they're functionally just undead-themed killer robot hordes.

Also Necrons are more or less completely mundane. With "Ultra Mundanes" among their troops who's very presence would be like an ultra "No, you lose" AMF against Casters. No, not even Orb of _____s.

Warhammer? A friend of mine plays the tabletop version - absolutely hates the computer versions - so he has the books. How well do they convert? :smallbiggrin:

ArcturusV
2013-05-30, 01:37 AM
Probably not at all. I played the RPGs, not the Wargame. There's too many fundamental differences, perhaps the biggest one is that in DnD Magic=Science, and in Warhammer Magic=Occult Mysticism.

This means the DnD mage has concrete results they know and can expect within expected margins of error (Saves, variable damage dice, etc). But everytime you cast a fireball, you cast a fireball and a fireball appears.

As opposed to Warhammer, where a Warhammer "mage" casting a Fireball may or may not actually manifest a Fireball. And regardless of if they do or do not manifest a fireball something random and horrible may happen. You might kill yourself. Get possessed. Rip a hole in space and time to a dimension filled with horrors beyond the mortal mind's ability to process, ice over everything within a quarter mile, etc, etc, etc.

Also Warhammer is a lot more lethal. It is the sort of setting where Combat is not something you enter lightly. You avoid combat if possible, and when not possible stack the odds as far in your favor as you can. As opposed to DnD where you don't really worry about stacking the odds or entering combat. The lethality is like comparing say... the Punisher (Warhammer guys), to Wolverine the Nigh Immortal (DnD guys).

gurgleflep
2013-05-30, 01:54 AM
Yowzers :smalleek: Now I don't want to attempt converting one over!