PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Kick your knees up, step in time!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-30, 09:01 PM
Chimneyfolk

http://montclairpost.com/images/bert.jpg

Chimneyfolk, also known as 'Roof Gypsies' are a sub-race of human that have so long lived within the urban heights of ancient cities that they are no longer alike to the common man. Born to smoke and ash, moving from roof-top to roof-top, many pity them, but they would not understand why...

Chimneyfolk Racial Traits
Chimneyfolk appear in most ways as humans, though typically stand between 6 and 7 feet tall, and are exceedingly thin and lanky despite their size, weighing between 90 and 140 lbs. Their skin is a murky brown, almost black with lighter and darker shadings appearing all about them. Their hair tends to grow straight and short with men often possessing bristly, rough beards that rasp as it brushes against itself. Their eyes are abnormally large and coal-black with a literal sparkle that gleams even in low light.

* Dexterity +2: Chimneyfolk are exceedingly nimble and keen of balance from their lives walking the ridges of roofs.

* Medium: As medium creatures, chimneyfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

* Chimneyfolk base land speed is 30 ft. They also have a climb speed of 20 ft.

* Humanoid (Human): Chimneyfolk are of human descent and are affected by spells and like as if they were purely human.

* 1 extra feat at first level, a human trait that chimneyfolk have not lost.

* Glib: Chimneyfolk gain a +2 bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks.

* Black Lung (Ex): Chimneyfolk lived their entire lives within the smokey environs of the rooftops and breathe in ash from the day they are born. As such they may breathe within heavy smoke without ill-effects. Every minute they spend breathing heavy smoke they must use a standard action to cough up the accumulated ash in the air. They also recieve a +4 racial bonus on saves against inhaled poisons and diseases.

* Walk the Ridgepole (Ex): Chimneyfolk may move across a precarious surface at their full speed without taking any penalties. They may move across a surface of as little as 2 inches without having to make balance checks. Surfaces thinner than 2 inches they must still make a balance check but gain a +5 bonus to the check. They may even charge across these surfaces.

* Terraphobia: Chimneyfolk have a racial dread of the ground, instinctively recalling the helpless poverty their ancestors lived within and the dangers to be found there. Every minute they remain on ground level they must succeed on a DC 15 will save or become shaken. After an hour upon ground they must succeed on the save every minute or become Frightened and lose their Glib ability. An hour in the heights reduce Frightened to Shaken if they descend once more.

As such, most chimneyfolk bring along small stepstools to stand upon while they have discourse with the street dwellers.

* Level Adjustment: +0

* Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)

* Favored Class: Rogue

Chimneyfolk Society
Chimneyfolk are oddly cheerful, open people making the best of a difficult life. Many find them uncouth and possessed of much guile but those who get to know them find much of the population to be diamonds in the rough. They consider none a stranger and look at life with a 'take it as it is' mentality.

Lands
Chimneyfolk live in a three-dimensional world, one that few are truley aware that exists. Beneath overhangs, ramshackle huts, and in abandoned attics they make their home. Those more well off can afford tents where they may stay within for a few days before moving on.

Settlements
Colonies of Chimneyfolk are common in metroplises large enough to support them, sharing a deep communal spirit, and most are willing to give shelter or food if they can share it. Stealing amongst themselves is almost unheard of, and those willing to commit this taboo are often sent down to the ground with a broken arm so as to never climb back.

Beliefs
Chimneyfolk are as likely to shun religious beliefs as uphold them, many sharing the long passed along belief that they were forgotten by those High Up and is why their ancestors had to move upwards to get out of poverty. Many however revere the God of Roads, though many may never go upon one, the constant travel atop the roofs taking its place. Others prefer Estanna, the godden of simple comforts and the home.

Relations
Chimneyfolk tend to get along with nearly everyone, a survival trait that makes them fantastic tradesman. Halflings in particular they enjoy the company of, possessing much of the same humor.

Language
Chimneyfolk are very talkative, with a glib tongue, though often almost abusive in their speech. It is rarely meant to hurt but is actually affectionate if not insultingly familiar. They speak common with slang-filled dialects that requires much concentration for standard humans to understand.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-30, 10:33 PM
It's intereresting, but unless the races in your world are all tweaked upward, it also feels like it's a bit more powerful then most races, particularly at higher levels when magical means to remove its primary disadvantage become available.

Advantages:

+2 Dex
climb speed in addition to land movement speed
extra feat
+2 Bluff & Diplomacy modifiers
Immunity to light/heavy smoke with the exception of losing 1 round in 10.
balance bonusesDisadvantages

Possibility of being shaken on ground (-2 to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.)While the penalty is annoying and debilitating at low levels, anywhere higher level they have a fair number of advantages, especially when a mage friend can provide boots that allow one to hover an inch above the ground, or if they're in a dungeon where he can climb along the wall and thus avoid any penalties from touching the floor.

F.H. Zebedee
2006-12-01, 12:22 AM
Yeah, the Shaken thing is a little too feeble in a party/woods/dungeon. Maybe also make them have a Con penalty or Charisma penalty from the ash and hygienic conditions?

Otherwise, though, I find it an intriguing and amusing idea. Mary Poppins anyone?

bosssmiley
2006-12-01, 01:23 PM
I like them, good for the sort of 'urban fantasia' thing that was a gaming mini-fashion a few years back. I could see these guys evolving into (obnoxiously twee cockney) urban fey over time.

I note that Gyrfalcon's already thought of a couple of (mechanically sound, but fluff-tasteless) dodges around their Terraphobia disadvantage as written.
"It ain't the fall that kills yer sonny, it's the landin'." :smallwink:

Personally I'd make the Terraphobia thing a little stronger to keep them firmly in the LA+0 bracket; perhaps a racial Claustrophobia, a pressing emotional need to see the sky? Perhaps successive failed Will saves might make them first shaken, then frightened, then eventually panicked?

GJ as ever VT.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-01, 01:34 PM
Personally I'd make the Terraphobia thing a little stronger to keep them firmly in the LA+0 bracket; perhaps a racial Claustrophobia, a pressing emotional need to see the sky? Perhaps successive failed Will saves might make them first shaken, then frightened, then eventually panicked?
Good idea. Hows that?

Tracersmith
2006-12-01, 06:28 PM
I personally think that they need to have another minus..... like F.H. said I like the -2 cha but i do like the sucessive failures too

bosssmiley
2006-12-02, 09:22 AM
Good idea. Hows that?

Whimsical Gulliverine madness: niiiiice! :smallcool:

(next, VT introduces us to the feat "Extract Sunlight from Cucumbers")

Winged One
2006-12-03, 10:47 PM
How often do they get eaten by Alley Wolves? :biggrin:

JellyPooga
2006-12-06, 07:37 AM
Do they all speak in a hideous australian/american hybrid accent made up to sound like a cockney, but invariably fails to sound anything like one?:smallbiggrin:

Diabhan
2006-12-14, 02:52 AM
I. Love. This. It was worth of extra emphasis!

The_Cowinator
2006-12-14, 05:57 AM
Aahh, a nice refreshing dose of VT goodness. Now, to sludge my way through more homebrew...

flawed.Perfection
2006-12-14, 06:23 AM
If there is one ability score that should be decreased, I think Int would be most appropriate going by the race and the fluff. Where are you going to study on rooftops after all?

Another tasty race, VT. Fluff's always welcome!