PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder to dnd translation??

my13
2013-05-29, 11:01 PM
one of my pcs would like to cross class with a class from pathfinder. i have little knowlege of pathfinder and need help determining how to translate. specifically with the class of alchemist, the pathfinder rules say it is a standard action to retrieve materials, mix components and throw a bomb as one standard action? it seems to me that would be more than a standard action, but there is a disagreement on this. is there clarification anywhere in the books that would help or anyone experienced with this class that could give help on the translation?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-29, 11:23 PM
It's a standard action, which is the same thing as a standard action.

my13
2013-06-04, 02:34 PM
well i have done some reading, alchemist prestige class in dnd says it is a standard and move action to do this. so problem solved.

stack
2013-06-04, 02:46 PM
Given that the number of bombs per day is limited anyhow, it would be onerous to make it take a full round, aside from also nerfing the fast bombs discovery out of existence. Its an attack, the retrieving and mixing bit is fluff. You could just as easily say he grabs it and shakes it or whatever.

The only conversion required is in the skill system and spell list. Pretty much everything else should work fine in 3.5. I would give the alchemist the various polymorph type spells in place of the x-shape spells that PF used to replace them.

Renen
2013-06-04, 04:50 PM
Yeh OP. Don't make it overly complicated. You can pretty much use the whole class as is.

Urpriest
2013-06-04, 05:11 PM
well i have done some reading, alchemist prestige class in dnd says it is a standard and move action to do this. so problem solved.

That's an entirely different thing, though. Read the class abilities, not just the name.

The reason Alchemists can do all that stuff as a standard action is the same reason casters can manipulate all those silly material components as a standard action: it's their base casting mechanic.

Actual conversion effort will involve looking at the skill list and un-consolidating the skills, looking through the spell list and replacing things with their 3.5 versions, and making sure that the alchemy and item creation rules match up.