PDA

View Full Version : Astral Construct Wilder

swankjon
2013-05-30, 12:13 AM
Hi there, I'm DMing a campaign that is going to be mostly combat oriented (meaning minimal RP) and im interested in how a wilder specializing in astral constructs would be placed on the tier list.

My reason being that the player who is showing interest is my DM in another game, and has admitted they get a little nuts.

This game is going to be tier2 - tier 4 , no martial classes from core are allowed (i want my players to try out new things/ TOB)

Feint's End
2013-05-30, 04:09 AM
Hi there, I'm DMing a campaign that is going to be mostly combat oriented (meaning minimal RP) and im interested in how a wilder specializing in astral constructs would be placed on the tier list.

My reason being that the player who is showing interest is my DM in another game, and has admitted they get a little nuts.

This game is going to be tier2 - tier 4 , no martial classes from core are allowed (i want my players to try out new things/ TOB)

Tier 3 as Wilder since Astral Construct is just a single first Level Power and btw one you should pick as a Wilder anyways. Using the ACFs from Mindseye (suggest this to him ... they are way better than the class features ... at least educated wilder) he'd be pretty much a normal wilder with focus on Astral Constructs.
Taking the two PRCs (Constructor and I forgot the second name) will result in pretty good Astral Constructs though he would loose the Wild Surge so maybe just go with the 5-level prc?

Anyways he is going to be Tier 3 as Wilder in general.

SciChronic
2013-05-30, 05:34 AM
Ectopic Adept (CP) is the PrC you were looking for i believe

danzibr
2013-05-30, 06:16 AM
I recently played a Psion who made AC's in a not very optimized party. My AC was trivializing encounters until the DM made the encounters hard enough to be on par with my AC, then the other players could barely contribute.

It depends on how optimized the Wilder is versus the rest of the party. If you bust out all the tricks you can get extremely powerful (relatively speaking) AC's at very low levels. I'd be careful if I were you.

stack
2013-05-30, 08:52 AM
Tier 3 as Wilder since Astral Construct is just a single first Level Power and btw one you should pick as a Wilder anyways. Using the ACFs from Mindseye (suggest this to him ... they are way better than the class features ... at least educated wilder) he'd be pretty much a normal wilder with focus on Astral Constructs.
Taking the two PRCs (Constructor and I forgot the second name) will result in pretty good Astral Constructs though he would loose the Wild Surge so maybe just go with the 5-level prc?

Anyways he is going to be Tier 3 as Wilder in general.

Wilders are tier 2, I believe. Considered the bottom of tier 2 due to scant powers known, but still meeting the criteria. Also, wild surging astral constructs can be fun to get that extra level out of them.

Urpriest
2013-05-30, 08:57 AM
A dedicated Astral Construct build is basically a dedicated summoning build. Since dedicated summoning pushes a Binder from Tier 3 to Tier 2, I'd say this is a solid Tier 2.

Feint's End
2013-05-30, 09:23 AM
A dedicated Astral Construct build is basically a dedicated summoning build. Since dedicated summoning pushes a Binder from Tier 3 to Tier 2, I'd say this is a solid Tier 2.

The main difference is that summons improve the utility in a build and not just combat power ... combat power alone isn't enough to push something up a tier ... while Astral Constructs are great for combat versatility they don't even come close to the power of summon spells due to no spelllike abs etc

And Wilders are t3 .... They are usually best played as gysh thanks to their low number of powers known or as skill/power social wilder and lack to utility to move up to tier 2 .... for example shugenja are also considered t3 (though it shifts depending on your spec) even though they get 9th level spells.

stack
2013-05-30, 09:44 AM
I would argue that they are low tier 2, even if they are usually played like tier 3. They CAN use many of the broken tricks a psion can, able to grab (eventually) (most, no 9's)powers off discipline lists with expanded knowledge. They also have to be rated assuming they grab a few powers with expanded knowledge. A wilder without expanded knowledge on the table is like a DFA without entangling exhalation.