PDA

View Full Version : Goblins, Nets and Ideas

TheDarkSaint
2013-05-30, 12:16 PM
Hey folks,

I'm looking to have my goblins of the Sunless Citadel fight a bit smarter than run up, get stabbed and fall over variety.

I'd like to have them run some debilitating attacks as well, so I started looking at the Net in the PHB. It's not bad, but not great. it would probably take a 3 goblin team to take down a fighter and those caught can still make attacks and probably bully the goblins around.

I'm looking for more ideas rather than just arming them all with clubs, shields and watching the party go to town on them.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-30, 01:27 PM
Why would the goblins try for the control route? They're small (-4), and weak (-1), and fighters usually have very high strength, so unless they get some serious aid-another going on, that won't work. However, nets are actually pretty good, even without somebody going with the control option. All you have to do is hit someone with a touch attack at -4 (for nonproficiency), and bam, they're entangled. They can break out with a DC 20 escape artist check (which only rogues are gonna have, and even then, not most) or a DC 25 Str check (which even the fighter will have a very hard time breaking), and both options are full-round actions, meaning that no matter what, once hit, the net becomes a real hassle.

Goblins should always use nets when fighting big/strong/tough enemies, even if they aren't proficient with them.

What the goblins should do is: hit the party with nets, then sit at a distance, with cover/concealment, and hit the party with ranged attacks (alchemical grenades, if available). Entangled people are easier to hit, and have a harder time hitting back, at distance. It would also be an opportune time to run in and mass flank or mass grapple, if they were so inclined.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-30, 01:32 PM
Soak the nets in oil and chuck alchemists fire at the netted targets.

I like to soften up my higher level parties with goblins lead by a blue who has given them fire resistance so they can set the room on fire.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-30, 01:32 PM
I have just two words of advice for you: Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/).

Zombulian
2013-05-30, 01:36 PM
Even without grenades, setting the nets on fire can be very effective. (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2212)

unseenmage
2013-05-30, 02:03 PM
I used Kobolds with nets to demoralize my players once.

Dark cavern, open space, dirt floor.
Nets hidden under dirt, ropes tied to nets also hidden.
Teams of Kobolds using Aid Another to haul the first PC they can off into the darkness.

The first PC disappeared with a shout deeper into the dungeon. As the other PCs scrambled after the second was yanked upwards into the ceiling then dropped abruptly on top of his bewildered allies.

Kobolds are small but even they have a pretty high drag weight, especially as a group. They can drag someone pretty far before their round ends too.
Goblins might not be as extra trap-savvy as kobolds but that doesn't mean they're completely incapable. And their Str is certainly better.

Combine nets-tied-to-ropes with a water hazard, lava, pit, or cliff and you've got some lethality.
Upgrade rope to chain and you've got a higher break DC and Escape Artist check.

Simple snares, nooses, and lassos work too.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-30, 02:10 PM
Or you could have a three goblin squad.

They have a net with a rope attached.

Goblin A throws the net at the fighter (standard action), then hands the rope to his companion (move action).

Goblin B is holding the end of the rope. He ties it to a cocked catapult arm (full round action)...

Goblin C triggers the catapult.

It doesn't have to launch the fighter, just slam him into the ground on the other side of the catapult.

SSGoW
2013-05-30, 02:45 PM

Goblin A throws the net at the fighter (standard action), then hands the rope to his companion (move action).

Goblin B is holding the end of the rope. He ties it to a cocked catapult arm (full round action)...

It doesn't have to launch the fighter, just slam him into the ground on the other side of the catapult.

And we have a winner!

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-30, 03:01 PM
Alternatively for the more low tech goblin tribe, much the same can be done with a heavy round rock and a steep hill.

unseenmage
2013-05-30, 04:26 PM

And we have a winner!

Heartily agreed. (Seriously, best thing I've read all day!) Upgrade that catapult to a trebuchet and wave goodby to whoever blundered into that trap.

If you're willing to upgrade to arcane shenanigans Shrink Item on one of our siege engines would allow it to be made smaller and 'of clothlike material' so it could be hidden in the dirt too. One command word and SPRING up comes the device ready at a moment's notice to fling hapless PCs.

Zombulian
2013-05-30, 04:50 PM

It doesn't have to be a net either, since some may argue that throwing a net on someone wouldn't make them prone to being chucked by a catapult. You could pull this trick off with a Harpoon from Stormwrack.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-30, 05:15 PM
Now I got to make this into an automated trap for a mean dungeon at some point...

unseenmage
2013-05-30, 05:17 PM
Now I got to make this into an automated trap for a mean dungeon at some point...

Temple of Doom would've been quite a bit different with Indy going round and round and round with a harpoon stuck in his thigh.