PDA

View Full Version : Writing an Introduction

Titus05
2013-05-30, 01:57 PM
I am starting a campaign and want to write an introduction that will grab my player's interest from the start. I don't have to reel in players, I know those who will participate already, but I want something appealing. I also want to give them something to base character development and backstory on. Problem is, I'm not the best writer. So I've come to the Playground. Any help that you could give would be great. I'm looking to write about a paragraph or two. So give me a sentence or type of sentence that would appeal to you.
The campaign is based on a world that the gods have abandoned. The players will all have a reason to want to search for, and bring back, a god or many gods. They will begin on a ship at sail in search for the last remaining piece of "holy ground." I want to portray that the world isn't desolate, it isn't dark and dreary or demonic, it's just...pointless. Abandonment of the gods means that people don't have a purpose to do almost anything anymore, or at least they will need to find another reason.
This is what I have so far. Add to it! Thanks.

Forsaken Plane
The gods have gone. Left this now futile land in a state of uselessness and nonsensical existence that no living creature has ever experienced. The idea of lost and alone has never been understood until this point in time. Sure the mediocrity of life will continue, but for what or who?

Blightedmarsh
2013-05-30, 02:30 PM
The gods forsaken throwns lie empty, the feasting halls of the hereafter now only echo with with the sounds of silence.

All across the would the pillars of power tremble and quake; their very foundations lie in ruins. Once proud dynasties; generations of rule secure in divine mandate now hang in doubt. Ambitious nobles and wild eyed demiguges seek to take advantage of a myriad of new opportunities.

There is no glory, no immortality, no eternal reward; no incentive. Once holey causes are abandoned; armies mutiny or desert on mass. With no heroes to sally forth communities are best by the growing dangers of monsters and the monstrous, of the wild men of the hills who acknowledge no law but their own.

At home the very fabric of society is threatening to come apart at the seams. The god given codes that underpin society have snapped; the moral fiber of the people is becoming unraveled in a rising tide of crime, debauchery and blasphemy. All the while the powers that be engage in a savage backlash in a desperate attempt to maintain some semblance of control.

All of this however is just a smoke screen for the real questions:

The wise ask what could be so terrible as to drive the very gods themselves from there places of power and what will it do next?

The smart ask whether the thrones have been destroyed or merely stand vacant? Are the gods truly gone or are they coming back? Who or what will rise to take their place?

The cunning ask only one thing; why not me?

Titus05
2013-05-30, 04:08 PM
Wow... I love it. Thank you! I will totally be using some of these ideas.

Deaxsa
2013-05-30, 04:59 PM
Once holey causes are abandoned

nooooo! how could you abandon swiss cheese!