PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] death and destruction domain..

animewatcha
2013-05-30, 02:43 PM
There any good or neutral deities that have both of these domains so I can grab both devotions through the cloistered cleric?

Flickerdart
2013-05-30, 02:47 PM
There any good or neutral deities that have both of these domains so I can grab both devotions through the cloistered cleric?
Yurtrus, Incabulos, and Laogzed are the only gods that have both. Yurtus is NE, Incabulos is NE, Laogzed is CE.

Clistenes
2013-05-30, 03:05 PM
The Death domain contains four Evil spells. If the cleric is good or serves a good deity he should take Repose instead, I think. Repose grants Death Ward, Slay Living, and Wail of the Banshee, so it has a lot in common with the Death domain.

nedz
2013-05-30, 07:16 PM
Taiia, but this is a highly setting dependant question. Does this deity even exist in your game ?

Full list of Deities with the death and destruction domains

Incabulos (NE)
Bhaal (LE)
Aegir (NE)
Hel (NE)
Nergal (CE/NE)
Yurtrus (NE)
Laogzed (CE)
Al-Ishtus (NE)
Sulerain (NE)
Kyuss (NE)
Taiia – Destroyer Aspect (N)

DMVerdandi
2013-05-30, 07:25 PM
You realize you don't need a god to be a cleric right?
You can directly worship Death and destruction as concepts, rather than a personified deity.

Flickerdart
2013-05-30, 07:36 PM
You realize you don't need a god to be a cleric right?
You can directly worship Death and destruction as concepts, rather than a personified deity.
Yes, but without the appropriate god it's a little tricky to justify doing that and still being Good.

Darrin
2013-05-30, 07:44 PM
You can also worship an entire pantheon (Deities & Demigods) and cherry-pick the domains that way. Asgard, Egyptian, or Olympian pantheons will work for this. I don't recall the exact alignment restrictions, but I think they were pretty broad.

Scow2
2013-05-30, 07:45 PM
Yes, but without the appropriate god it's a little tricky to justify doing that and still being Good.

You can't cast a lot of spells from those domains because they are [Evil], and a Cleric cannot cast spells opposed to his or his deity's alignment.

Darrin
2013-05-30, 08:11 PM
You can't cast a lot of spells from those domains because they are [Evil], and a Cleric cannot cast spells opposed to his or his deity's alignment.

Hellbred might be able to get around that... or am I misremembering?

Flickerdart
2013-05-30, 08:15 PM
OP is not after the spells, he wants the Devotions.

Nettlekid
2013-05-30, 08:19 PM
Be a True Neutral Cleric who worships the idea of Entropy, the unstoppable termination of all things as heat equalizes and no work can be done. Both Death and Destruction make sense to come from that, but it wouldn't be inherently evil.

animewatcha
2013-05-30, 09:50 PM
Setting is faerun. So don't I need to worship a deity anyway? Also, I can't be evil to neutral is best bet. Idea is nearly pure duskblade that sunders through shocking grasp ( No ToB ). I know there are specific sunder builds, but this is low-mid OP mainly fun. I plan on being able to break specific weapons and armor mid-battle with me repairing later ( when it is 'safer' to have them ) like say the BBEG. Idea is sunder/shocking grasp into Combat Brute. If death/destruction are active at the time, possibly 'two shots' per action. Trying to be tactical in a different manner.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-30, 10:01 PM
Setting is faerun. So don't I need to worship a deity anyway? Also, I can't be evil to neutral is best bet. Idea is nearly pure duskblade that sunders through shocking grasp ( No ToB ). I know there are specific sunder builds, but this is low-mid OP mainly fun. I plan on being able to break specific weapons and armor mid-battle with me repairing later ( when it is 'safer' to have them ) like say the BBEG. Idea is sunder/shocking grasp into Combat Brute. If death/destruction are active at the time, possibly 'two shots' per action. Trying to be tactical in a different manner.

If you're adventuring in the Realms, it's always better to be safe rather than sorry and pick out a divine patron, especially if you need to be raised, or something.

Nettlekid
2013-05-30, 10:13 PM
If your build is based around breaking things, Entropy actually works thematically as a theme as well, since breaking things increases entropy. Look at the Doomlord prestige class in the Planar Handbook (not as a suggestion for you, but just for the entropy theme).

Jeff the Green
2013-05-30, 10:45 PM
Remember that domains other than the PHB ones can be traded for devotion feats. The only one listed that can be traded for Destruction is Pestilence, and nothing can be traded for Death, but there are other ones not listed in CC.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-30, 10:51 PM
In the Forgotten Realms, you must choose a patron deity if you're a divine magic user, because that patron deity is the source of your divine magic. Any other character doesn't have to choose a patron deity until after death, and even then only after a long time. When you die, you can still choose which god's realm you wish to enter for your afterlife, provided that deity wants your soul, you're compatible to his or her alignment, and other stuff. Or get convinced by devils to become a devil yourself.
Wall of the Faithless is only for atheists and antitheists (because the gods of the forgotten realms are all unlikeable jerks).

Vertharrad
2013-05-31, 12:08 AM
The Wall of the Faithless is the wall surrounding the City of Judgment on the Fugue Plane. It was erected by Myrkul to punish the souls of beings who claimed no patron god. When a faithful mortal dies, it can then petition their respective gods for entry to their plane of influence. The faithless were absorbed into the wall of souls and wholly become a part of it. Those who examine the Wall of the Faithless can see the faces and skulls of the countless souls absorbed into the very fabric of the wall.

Initially, the faithless are cemented into the wall with a green, supernatural mold.

This says it all. You die without a patron deity you go to the Wall of the Faithless.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 12:31 AM
Hellbred might be able to get around that... or am I misremembering?

No you're right. Hellbred get something called Evil Exception where they can cast spells with the evil descriptor and weild unholy or evil weapons without taking negative levels. Pretty cool race.

Ashtagon
2013-05-31, 12:43 AM

Faerun specifically notes that all clerics must have a deity. And a Faerunese one at that.