PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Subtype] Living dead?

Xuldarinar
2013-05-30, 03:00 PM
In case you are not familiar, there is a construct subtype called living construct. It got me thinking, why not make an equivalent subtype for undead and deathless? So, I simply felt like sharing it. Feel free to make use of it.

Living Dead Subtype

Undead (Living Dead), Deathless (Living Dead)

-A living dead creature derives its Hit Dice, Base attack bonus, Saves, and skill points from the class it selects
-Unlike other undead and deathless, living dead creatures have a constitution score.
-Unlike other undead and deathless, a living dead creature does not automatically gain darkvision
-Unlike other undead and deathless, a living dead creature is not immune to mind-affecting effects
-Unlike other undead and deathless, a living dead creature is not destroyed at 0 hit points. They are however rendered unconscious. A living dead creature reduced to -5 hit points is destroyed. Living dead creatures are automatically stable.
-Unlike other undead and deathless, a living dead creature is affected by critical hits, effects requiring a fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, death effects.
-A living dead creature can be raised or resurrected.
-A living dead creature, while it does not need to eat, sleep, or breath, can still benefit from consumable spells and magic items.

Steward
2013-05-30, 05:45 PM
I like the idea; it seems reasonably balanced since it trades away most of the undead benefits but also most of its drawbacks too. What kind of creature would have this subtype?

Zweisteine
2013-05-30, 06:00 PM
While I think the idea is interesting, it seems it would have very few potential applications. It seems like it would work for something half alive (like Schrödinger's cat! :smalltongue:) but there aren't any of those in D&D.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-30, 06:10 PM
I like the idea; it seems reasonably balanced since it trades away most of the undead benefits but also most of its drawbacks too. What kind of creature would have this subtype?

Thats an interesting question. Here are my thoughts on possibilities.

- Half-undead. Such as the half-vampire, could instead be Undead (living dead).

- Both living and dead, created. Something was risen form the dead, more than a raise dead spell, but less than a resurrection spell. Either a unique spell, or a potential mishap for resurrecting. Possibly an option as something to be applied to other undead. Like… maybe a lich or a ghoul could have a living dead variant. Someone could simply make a template that adds the type and makes appropriate changes, either to living creatures or undead ones. Beings could desire a taste of undead but not give themselves over to it entirely, or maybe it is a curse. Could even be a gift from some deity in the case of deathless (living dead).

- Both living and dead, born. Perhaps some races and monsters share a bond with negative energy that while they can do everything the living can, share enough traits with the undead that they have the type. A cursed or gifted race. Nothing quite like having a race you can rebuke, and heal with negative energy based spells. Possibly would be an even better option for classes like dread necromancer.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-05-30, 06:18 PM
In case you are not familiar, there is a construct subtype called living construct. It got me thinking, why not make an equivalent subtype for undead and deathless?
Because living and construct are not counter intuitive. While alive and undead are. Its a better idea to have a "half-dead" subtype so that it can be applied to all living creatures rather then just a single type and instead of removing undead traits it adds them. Such as being healed by negative energy, being vulnerable to turning etc.

This way you can have "half-dead" humans, elves, giants etc etc.

Steward
2013-05-30, 06:19 PM
Have you ever seen the book Ghostwalk? It's a 3rd edition sourcebook, about a town that contains the gateway between the worlds of the living and the dead. It's full of "ghosts", which are a separate form of existence that are explicitly distinct from the undead. Unlike undead ghosts, the Ghostwalk ghosts are very close to being living creatures; they can have adventures, move around more or less at will, grow as characters. Even if they are killed, they can be resurrected not as the living creatures they were but back to their ghost forms.

Your living dead idea kind of reminds me of that. They have the attributes of death but still have life.

- Both living and dead, born. Perhaps some races and monsters share a bond with negative energy that while they can do everything the living can, share enough traits with the undead that they have the type. A cursed or gifted race. Nothing quite like having a race you can rebuke, and heal with negative energy based spells. Possibly would be an even better option for classes like dread necromancer.

I really like this idea too, especially if you combine it with the notion of it being a curse that you mentioned. D & D already has necropolitans and dry liches, but there isn't an intermediate step between "living human" and "undead fiend". As you said, the living dead subtype could represent someone who was tainted by negative energy or exists in a kind of liminal way (like Ghostwalk ghosts, or Eberron deathless).