PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to 4e, help me shop!

AzureNightshade
2013-05-30, 04:19 PM
I'm playing a level 5 Shaman, after buying a weapon, offhand weapon, armor and rituals i have 1000gold left.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions? Thanks!

neonchameleon
2013-05-30, 05:35 PM
I'm playing a level 5 Shaman, after buying a weapon, offhand weapon, armor and rituals i have 1000gold left.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have a neck slot item? And for a shaman you need an implement rather than a weapon. Also you need residuum to cast rituals.

Excession
2013-05-30, 05:50 PM
Shaman attacks are all made an implement rather than a weapon, and your only implement proficiency is with totems. You should probably be getting yourself a magic totem before a magic weapon of any sort. You also need to wield a totem to use it, so an offhand weapon is right out.

Also, the standard rules for items when starting at level 5 would be that you get a magic item at level 6, 5, and 4, and 840 gp. So I'm not sure where your 1000gp is coming from. Has your DM given you different rules for what you start with?

NecroRebel
2013-05-30, 05:53 PM
Yeah, implement, armor, and neck items are the most important magic items you should have, and the L+1, L+0, and L-1 items that are standard issue for a character starting above level 1 should go to these (not necessarily in that order). Once you've got those, you can start looking at other stuff, like secondary weapons or implements, magic items for other slots, wondrous items, and rituals and components.

AzureNightshade
2013-05-31, 01:29 AM
I meant implements and not weapons and I was told I could sell my 4,5,6th items at 100% and add it to my 840gp then just buy what i wanted...so I did.

Kurald Galain
2013-05-31, 04:21 AM
If you can fit a feat in your build to become proficient with staffs or orbs, there's a lot of interesting things to buy there.

Excession
2013-06-01, 12:19 AM
A neck slot item is the obvious missing piece. There aren't a huge number of interesting items at low levels unfortunately.

The Healer's Brooch (Adventurer's Vault) isn't too bad, adding +1 hp whenever you use a power that lets you or any ally regain hp. It's always on, and it lets you heal a little better. Like all neck slot items it also gives +1 to your Fort, Ref, and Will. It's 840gp, so you could spend the rest of your gold on potions or residuum.

For a more unusual option, how about a Battle Standard of Might (Adventurer's Vault). The downside is it takes a standard action to plant, but once planted it gives +1 damage to you and your allies while you're within 5 squares of it.

AzureNightshade
2013-06-01, 01:05 AM
Now we're getting somewhere, the Battle Standard of Might sounds legit but I have to check and make sure it isn't overlapping anyone else's power bonuses to damage... Looking at the party the Druid's Young Owlbear gives +2 power bonus to damage, so that maybe a no go, but that's exactly the sort of item I'm looking for!

Right now I have a Lucky Charm +1 because it goes well with my Deva Racial and means bad rolls are far less likely to continue to be bad at the worst of times, but I welcome better suggestions!

Excession
2013-06-01, 04:49 AM
Found another one might be good flavour for a shaman, the Stag Helm (Adventurer's Vault). Gives a +2 to passive perception, and you can take a minor action during a surprise round if you're the one getting surprised. Never be ambushed without your spirit companion. It is the full 1000gp is all.