PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Wright, Greater Humanoid Essence, and Distilled Joy?

unseenmage
2013-05-30, 05:13 PM
Does Greater Humanoid Essence allow the Distilled Joy/Elation combo to work on my Dedicated Wright?
If so, how much to stick Humanoid Essence on an amulet to drape around his neck as he slaves away next to my xp farming trap in my Enveloping Pit?

Does Construct Essence allow you to command humanoids with a Rod of Construct Control from the AaEG?

Additionally, how much time does it take a character to make an effigy of themselves, Incarnate Construct it, then make an Effigy of the result? How long to repeat the process?
Is time a potential balancing factor for these template stacking shenanigans?

Thanks regardless playgrounders.

swankjon
2013-05-30, 07:02 PM
While I can't contribute to your question, I will say one thing:

If I were your DM you would be face to face with a good deity giving you some stiff ultimatums.

In any case, very interesting.

unseenmage
2013-05-30, 08:47 PM
While I can't contribute to your question, I will say one thing:

If I were your DM you would be face to face with a good deity giving you some stiff ultimatums.

In any case, very interesting.

Oh I'm a True Neutral Artificer (not sure he'll stay that way after this but whatevs) and I plan on putting the xp farm trick into a Spell Turret with Heroism and Suggestion.

The Spell Turret is going in as a chandelier on the ceiling of a temple dedicated to Gond where the "altar" is a three sided forge. Each forge grants a different magic weapon or armor crafting feat.

The second story balcony is lined with a craft skill station for every craft skill and the basement is a library on obscure craft lore (craft body modification anyone?) And each craft station is intended to be viewed from the pews.

The temple is open to the public and anyone is free to use the Ambrosia that they help produce.
During the temple's off hours the floor the Spell Turret is on can be flipped so that it targets workers in the upstairs Construct Lab.

If you were DM what would those good deities have to say about this?
The temple is being built in a small coastal city on the southern coast of Aglarond south of Thay in Faerun if that helps.
(The character has already met the Simbul, she owes him a favor.)

swankjon
2013-05-31, 05:51 PM
Just to clarify your using torture to extract distilled joy from humanoids whos pain you have turned into joy correct?

While this process can be masked as a neutral operation or even good in the eyes of the NPCs, In my campaign this could piss of a few gods, but now that I think about it, perhaps not the ones I was originally intended.

Any evil deity that has suffering or pain in its portfolio has a lot to gain from simply taking the piece of your mechanism away that prevents your victims pain.

Any deity of order that sees what your doing as an unbalancing of the universe is probably at the very least taking an active interest

Any deity that has protection, especially in relation to humanoids or the weak and helpless has a lot to say to you, and a lot of interest in freeing your exp cows.

Basically while what your doing is clever, It's still cheese. And because my love for stories driven by divine interaction is expansive, chances are your attempts to subvert the xp system will be met with divine retribution, or at the very least something you didn't expect. (Like wonderful amounts of taint!)

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-31, 05:55 PM
Boy have I got some links for you! They seem to be relevant for what you are doing...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870786/Mechonomicon

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z9NJIs751Af3i0IEIJwCkIp9H9YFiZYZ7u-wmYVaheI/edit

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4540.0

=D =D

I wouldn't use Torture with the nippleclamp thing, I'd just combine Elation and other Good Hope and maybe a few other Morale improving effects and pleasant surroundings and possibly benign drugs.

unseenmage
2013-05-31, 09:07 PM
Just to clarify your using torture to extract distilled joy from humanoids whos pain you have turned into joy correct?

I wouldn't use Torture with the nippleclamp thing, I'd just combine Elation and other Good Hope and maybe a few other Morale improving effects and pleasant surroundings and possibly benign drugs.

I am using the Elation spell with the Distilled Joy spell. My apologies for not clarifying, I'd forgotten the pain version was an option after deciding on the pleasure version.

Boy have I got some links for you! They seem to be relevant for what you are doing...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...1cTleQHds/edit

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...6/Mechonomicon

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Je09i8KWw/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...-wmYVaheI/edit

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4540.0

=D =D

Excellent list. The only one I hadn't seen yet (but had heard of) was the transhumanism guide. I'll give it a read tonight or tomorrow morning. I hadn't hit it up yet as I hadn't seen any references directly to it for the Artificer yet.

Any deity that has protection, especially in relation to humanoids or the weak and helpless has a lot to say to you, and a lot of interest in freeing your exp cows.

I did mention this:

The temple is open to the public and anyone is free to use the Ambrosia that they help produce.
Especially as one dose of Ambrosia can be used to heal 1 point of damage or just to feel good feelings for a while if that's what the person wants.

I really just figure the place will either a) be what I want it, a safe haven to work in; or b) cause my alignment to shift to good for all the free Ambrosia being literally given away (at least until I shift to evil for causing a war over this rather lucrative source of income); or c) outright be told, "No, no way, not gonna happen, nice try, see you next week."

The only xp cow I'm aiming for is my homunculus who's already my creation and doesn't have much care one way or the other. Though the case could be made that it'd begin to feel either very grateful or very used after being allowed/forced to feel pleasure over and over again day in and day out while he crafts my stuff.

Thanks for the advice swankjon and for the links Gavinfoxx. Your help is appreciated.
Now if I could only figure out if Greater Humanoid Essence allow the Distilled Joy/Elation combo to work on my Dedicated Wright I'd be golden.

Spuddles
2013-05-31, 09:19 PM

While this process can be masked as a neutral operation or even good in the eyes of the NPCs, In my campaign this could piss of a few gods, but now that I think about it, perhaps not the ones I was originally intended.

Any evil deity that has suffering or pain in its portfolio has a lot to gain from simply taking the piece of your mechanism away that prevents your victims pain.

Any deity of order that sees what your doing as an unbalancing of the universe is probably at the very least taking an active interest

Basically while what your doing is clever, It's still cheese. And because my love for stories driven by divine interaction is expansive, chances are your attempts to subvert the xp system will be met with divine retribution, or at the very least something you didn't expect. (Like wonderful amounts of taint!)

So one little dude is torturting just a handful of creatures, and the gods come down from the heavens themselves to stop him?

Why even bother with PCs in a world that's constantly babysat like that?

unseenmage
2013-05-31, 09:54 PM
So one little dude is torturting just a handful of creatures, and the gods come down from the heavens themselves to stop him?

Why even bother with PCs in a world that's constantly babysat like that?

On that note, I would assume the gods not to notice until either enough people were affected to cost them a divine rank (or equal to the minimum worshipers it takes to give a divine rank whichever works) OR it affects someone powerful enough who is connected to them. In other words until it disturbs the flow of worship or somebody tattles.

Additionally I'd either never let the PCs know when they reach either mark or make it one heck of a Know Religion DC to make an educated guess.

Spuddles
2013-05-31, 10:06 PM
On that note, I would assume the gods not to notice until either enough people were affected to cost them a divine rank (or equal to the minimum worshipers it takes to give a divine rank whichever works) OR it affects someone powerful enough who is connected to them. In other words until it disturbs the flow of worship or somebody tattles.

Additionally I'd either never let the PCs know when they reach either mark or make it one heck of a Know Religion DC to make an educated guess.

Ah, ok.

Also, OPs method is more like keeping his creations in a safe place, totally blissed out, forever, whose joy he shares with the world.

So it might be a little Lawful in a "locking someone up forever" sense, but since they are homoculi, literally created of his flesh and blood, they're more like intelligent extensions of himself. I mean, no one would bat an eye if he kept them locked up and building items for the rest of their existence.

unseenmage
2013-06-03, 10:11 AM
My GM just okayed both the public temple version of this exploit and the personal version of it. Guess he considers it a challenge to see how his world will react to it.

Time just became my new gp. Must prioritize crafting wishlist.
According to Magic Item Compendium it also takes what 1 day to find a buyer for a given item? And if I want to sell mkore than that I have to spend a day finding a buyer willing to buy in bulk but I only get 1/4 price instead of 1/2?

Anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of construct I should build to take care of these transactions for me while funneling my wealth to me via Ring Gates?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-03, 10:47 AM
I would suggest you simply hire a butler. A human expert with 3 HD, skill focus diplomacy, gather information, and knowledge local, max ranks, and good int and cha, and maybe middle aged.

You are looking at a steady +10 to the skill checks, and slap a ring of sustenance on him and he only needs 2 hours of sleep a night. He can pull of a 12 hour day and still go home and spend time with his kids.

Throw a thousand gold at him one every few months and he can live like a king.

Also, I would be very careful about handing out free good feelings. If you did that in a game I ran, you would start off a new line of drug abuse, and even if YOU didn't abuse torture to create bliss, someone else could take that shortcut. One people get a taste of bliss, it's hard to come down, and if there is a waiting list to access your facility, they may seek to go elsewhere.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-03, 11:32 AM
The correct term for that is Steward, or perhaps Seneschal, Chamberlain, or even Factotum.

swankjon
2013-06-03, 11:40 AM
Yeah don't misunderstand me, the kind of operation I'm talking about would be much larger.

Keep in mind that the whole Divine intervention thing would simply be a comical way of telling my player "Perhaps you should stick to the normal rules for crafting instead of beating the system".

They know what they are getting into with my game, the general rule is "Don't be cheesy and I won't be"

I know this board is all about full optimization but I would rather have my game balanced around the party dynamic instead of the individual.

All that being said, my game doesn't have tier 1 in it, so this particular thing would never happen.

Deophaun
2013-06-03, 11:48 AM
Keep in mind that the whole Divine intervention thing would simply be a comical way of telling my player "Perhaps you should stick to the normal rules for crafting instead of beating the system".
But he's playing an artificer, a class whose entire skillset revolves around beating the system. The correct approach is to say "no" upfront, before he builds a character whose only strength is making the MIC rules cry...

All that being said, my game doesn't have tier 1 in it
Exactly like that!

unseenmage
2013-06-03, 11:52 AM
Yeah don't misunderstand me, the kind of operation I'm talking about would be much larger.

They know what they are getting into with my game, the general rule is "Don't be cheesy and I won't be"

I know this board is all about full optimization but I would rather have my game balanced around the party dynamic instead of the individual.

All that being said, my game doesn't have tier 1 in it, so this particular thing would never happen.

Very good points. Our "game" right now has consisted of one session where i got to hit 2 enemies once each with my Gondsman, the minmaxed samurai two shotting some golems, and the DMPC erasing a hallway filled with probably 12-30 Shadesteel Golems with a Prismatic Dragon breath weapon after they rode a summoned Earth Elemental through the ceiling.

It's been a month and a half since that game night and we've mostly been conjecturing my character's options via chat.

If we'd actually met and played more I would certainly not have been bored enough to hunt down half the cool (read cheesey) stuff I have so far.

On top of all that they're already playing in a heavily modified, gestalt, no resurrection magic at all, Faerun world. Oh and the Red Wizards of Thay are invading/using the Underdark for shenanigans.

All things considered my DM is lucky I'm not playing a Circle Magic using Artificer instead.