PDA

View Full Version : Diopsid and reach

CyberThread
2013-05-31, 10:33 AM
Question, if someone is using a reach weapon, and they have access to larger versions of those weapons, does the reach go up, or stay the same as the midum sized creature?

Also, for the creature that can carry a large weapon in two hands, with no size penalties, can it carry a huge weapon, if the Diopsid uses all four of its hands ?

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 10:49 AM
1. Size of the weapon has nothing to do with reach unfortunately. A pixie with the titan bloodline carrying a gargantuan warhammer still has a reach of 0ft.

2. Yes I think. Though perhaps only a huge 1 handed weapon.

Flickerdart
2013-05-31, 10:57 AM
Also, for the creature that can carry a large weapon in two hands, with no size penalties, can it carry a huge weapon, if the Diopsid uses all four of its hands ?
No. The rules on inappropriately sized weapons state that "If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all." Unless the Diopsid has explicit language overriding this, it may not wield a Huge one-handed weapon.

CyberThread
2013-05-31, 11:00 AM
It has rules that it has four arms, and that two arms can hold a large two handed weapon , (or one handed need to read it again later), so my argument is , if it can carry a large in two hands, can it carry huge in four hands.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 11:05 AM
It has rules that it has four arms, and that two arms can hold a large two handed weapon , (or one handed need to read it again later), so my argument is , if it can carry a large in two hands, can it carry huge in four hands.

Your second guess was right, it's a one handed weapon, not two handed. I'm not sure if there are actually rules on this...

Flickerdart
2013-05-31, 11:12 AM
Uh, no. Read the ability again - the Diopsid may either wield a Large longsword in one pair of hands, or wield a two-handed weapon in one pair of hands. At any rate, this is a specific exception to the normal rules, and while you could houserule that a Diopsid can wield a Huge weapon, the RAW does not support it.

Darrin
2013-05-31, 11:13 AM

No. The Diopsid text says:

The diopsid's extra limbs allow it to use weapons one size category larger than normal without penalty. The diopsid's secondary arms must be free for it to gain this benefit. This benefit does not extend to larger weapons.

Thus, a medium-sized Diopsid can wield large-sized weapons, but it cannot wield a huge-sized weapon (unless it were allowed to do so without this rule). By RAW, this rule only applies to weapons within one size category of the Diopsid's current size.

Under the existing PHB rules for oversize weapons, a huge-sized light weapon could be wielded by a medium-sized creature as a two-handed weapon and with a -4 size penalty. Since the huge-sized weapon is two size categories larger than the Diopsid's current size, the Diopsid special rules don't apply.

CyberThread
2013-05-31, 06:39 PM
Is a large two handed weapon fall under the special rules?

nyjastul69
2013-05-31, 08:57 PM
1. Size of the weapon has nothing to do with reach unfortunately. A pixie with the titan bloodline carrying a gargantuan warhammer still has a reach of 0ft.

2. Yes I think. Though perhaps only a huge 1 handed weapon.

Nitpick: Pixies have 5' reach.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 09:42 PM
Nitpick: Pixies have 5' reach.

WHAAAAAAAAAT? My life is a lie.
The point stands though.

Flickerdart
2013-05-31, 09:56 PM
Is a large two handed weapon fall under the special rules?
No. Either large or two-handed. If you read the entry, it makes sense - the diopsid's second pair of arms is described as weaker than the first and only usable to support. So a diopsid could wield a two-handed weapon or Large one-handed weapon with an arm and a support arm, kind of like two-handing it but not really.

Darrin
2013-05-31, 10:27 PM
No. Either large or two-handed.

Actually, I think a large two-handed weapon would still work without penalty. Both secondary arms would still need to be free to steady the weapon. The example given is a large longsword held by one primary arm and steadied with a secondary arm, but this is not an exclusive example. By my reading, a large two-handed weapon could be wielded essentially if the Diopsid used all four arms, two primaries to wield the weapon and his two secondaries to steady it.

Flickerdart
2013-05-31, 11:34 PM
Actually, I think a large two-handed weapon would still work without penalty. Both secondary arms would still need to be free to steady the weapon. The example given is a large longsword held by one primary arm and steadied with a secondary arm, but this is not an exclusive example. By my reading, a large two-handed weapon could be wielded essentially if the Diopsid used all four arms, two primaries to wield the weapon and his two secondaries to steady it.
"If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all." This is the rule. To get around this rule, an ability has to explicitly say so. The diopsid's ability allows it to wield a weapon one size larger "without penalty". This isn't a penalty. It just says "you can't do it".

Matticussama
2013-06-01, 01:31 AM
It would make sense as a house rule to allow the Diopsid to wield a large, 2-handed weapon with all 4 arms, but I agree that it isn't supported by RAW.

CyberThread
2013-06-01, 12:47 PM
does this transfer at all, besides having a 2d6 longsword, to shield use?

Flickerdart
2013-06-01, 01:12 PM
does this transfer at all, besides having a 2d6 longsword, to shield use?
You can use the second pair of arms to wield a shield while still wielding the 2d6 longsword in the other. You can also wield a shield in just the weak arm, but you suffer nonproficiency penalties even if you're proficient (though reducing the shield's ACP to 0 means that doesn't matter).

Urpriest
2013-06-01, 01:33 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAT? My life is a lie.
The point stands though.

Most people don't realize that Pixies are Small. They really aren't much smaller than Halflings.

Zombulian
2013-06-01, 07:03 PM
Most people don't realize that Pixies are Small. They really aren't much smaller than Halflings.

Oh. Huh. Does make more sense for there to be as many melee pixie builds that people make.