PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Psionics and the Mental Arts

Rizban
2013-05-31, 10:42 AM
Introduction

I've played with psionics quite a bit over the years, and there's several things that I've made and wanted to share. This thread will eventually contain my homebrews, thoughts, ideas, and alternate rules suggestions.

Rizban
2013-05-31, 10:43 AM
[Reserving Post #2]

Rizban
2013-05-31, 10:45 AM
Pyrokineticist
I'm aware that Pyrokineticist has been redone numerous times, but I wanted to do my own version of it. I've seen a few of the reworks, and I liked some of the changes made; however, I feel that most of them either went too far away from the original concept, made the class much too powerful, or simply did not change the parts of the class that were the problems to begin with. Mostly, I wanted to produce a revision to the class that addresses some of the major issues with the class and that I am comfortable with allowing into the games I run both online and around the table.

Requirements
To qualify to become a pyrokineticist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any chaotic.
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 2 ranks.
Psionics: Must be able to manifest a power capable of dealing fire damage and must have a power point reserve of at least 1 power point.
Special: Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn.

{table=head]|
Base AttackBonus|
FortSave|
RefSave|
WillSave|Special|Powers Known
1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Fire lash, scorch +1|-
2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Fire adaptation, weapon afire +1d4|+1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Bolt of fire|+1 level of existing manifesting class
4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Scorch +2, weapon afire +2d4|+1 level of existing manifesting class
5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Nimbus|-
6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Firewalk, weapon afire +3d4|+1 level of existing manifesting class
7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Fear no fire, scorch +3|+1 level of existing manifesting class
8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+2|Weapon afire +4d4|+1 level of existing manifesting class
9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+3|Heat death, soulscorch|-
10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|Conflagration, scorch +4, weapon afire +5d4|+1 level of existing manifesting class
[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (any) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), and Psicraft (Int).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of Pyrokineticist.Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A pyrokineticist gains proficiency with the whip but not with any armor or shields.

Powers Known:: At every level indicated on the table, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if she had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of pyrokineticist to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before she became a pyrokineticist, she must decide to which class she adds the new level of pyrokineticist for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Fire Lash (Ps): A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The fire lash is treated as a whip that deals 1d8 points of fire damage, even against opponents wearing armor. Weapon Focus (whip) and other feats and effects that can apply to affect apply to a fire lash as though it were a whip.
A fire lash can be used to make disarm and trip attacks as if it were a whip, granting a +2 bonus on disarm attempts. If a pyrokineticist fails to disarm or trip her opponent, the opponent may not attempt to disarm or trip the pyrokineticist.
Like a normal whip, a fire lash does not threaten squares around the pyrokineticist.
The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.

Scorch (Su): By channeling more potent energy into her flames, a pyrokineticist increases the damage she deals with fire. Anytime she deals fire damage to an opponent, she deals 1 additional point of damage. She deals 2 additional points of damage at 4th level, 3 additional points of damage at 7th level, and 4 additional points of damage at 10th level.
The additional damage from scorch ignores fire resistance and fire immunity and applies even if the normal fire damage is resisted.

Fire Adaptation (Ex): At 2nd level, a pyrokineticist becomes resistant to fire, gaining a +4 bonus on all saving throws against fire and heat spells and effects. In addition, she gains resistance to fire 10.

Weapon Afire (Ps): At 2nd level and higher, a pyrokineticist can activate this ability as a move action. Flames that harm neither her nor the weapon engulf one weapon she holds. The weapon deals an extra 1d4 points of fire damage on a successful hit for every two levels of pyrokineticist she has. The weapon retains this effect for as long as the pyrokineticist wields it. Ranged weapons bestow this effect on the ammunition used.

Bolt of Fire (Ps): Starting at 3rd level, as a standard action, a pyrokineticist can launch a bolt of psionically manifested fire at any target in line of sight within 60 feet. This effect is treated as a ranged touch attack and deals 1d6 points of fire damage for each class level the pyrokineticist has.

Nimbus (Ps): Beginning at 5th level, a pyrokineticist can activate this ability as a move action. Flames that harm neither the pyrokineticist nor her equipment engulf her entire body. While she is aflame, the character’s Charisma score increases by 4, she can make a melee touch attack for 2d6 points of fire damage, and she gains damage reduction 5/magic. If she is struck in melee, the attacker takes 2d6 points of fire damage. This ability lasts for up to 1 minute per pyrokineticist level and is usable a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
At 8th level, the damage from her touch attacks increases to 4d6, and the damage an attacker takes in melee also increases to 4d6. In addition, she gains 1 more daily use of this power.

Firewalk (Su): Beginning at 6th level, as a free action a pyrokineticist can expend her psionic focus to literally walk on air. She moves at her normal speed in all directions, including vertically, but cannot move more than double her speed in a round. A firewalking pyrokineticist leaves footprints of flame in the air that disperse in 2 rounds, but her tread does not deal damage. She must pay 1 power point per round spent traveling in this fashion.

Fear No Fire (Ex): At 7th level, a pyrokineticist becomes highly resistant to fire, gaining a +8 bonus on all saving throws against fire and heat spells and effects and also gaining resistance to fire 20.

Heat Death (Ps): A pyrokineticist who reaches 9th level can spend 4 power points, expend her psionic focus, and take a full-attack action to raise the internal temperature of one living creature within 30 feet to lethal levels. The target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 14 + pyrokineticist’s Cha modifier) or die horrifically as its blood and other internal fluids boil. Even on a successful save, the target takes 4d8 points of fire damage from the heat.

Soulscorch (Su): At 9th level, a pyrokineticist's fires burn hot enough to affect the very soul of her enemies. Any fire damage a pyrokineticist deals ignore the first 20 points of a creature's fire resistance and deals half damage even to creatures normally immune to fire.
This ability does not overcome a pyrokineticist's own fire resistance or immunity.

Conflagration (Ps): At 10th level, a pyrokineticist gains the ability to create a massive burst of raging flames around herself, burning everything in the area. Once per day, as a standard action, she can use this ability to deal 15d6 points of fire damage in a 30-foot-radius emanation around herself. Any creature or object caught in the burst can make a Reflex saving throw (DC 15 + pyrokineticist’s Cha modifier) for half damage. Anyone failing the Reflex save against the conflagration must also make a Fortitude saving throw (same DC) or die due to extreme shock from the intense heat.1

zhdarkstar
2013-07-19, 04:36 PM
Pyrokineticist
I'm aware that Pyrokineticist has been redone numerous times, but I wanted to do my own version of it. I've seen a few of the reworks, and I liked some of the changes made; however, I feel that most of them either went too far away from the original concept, made the class much too powerful, or simply did not change the parts of the class that were the problems to begin with. Mostly, I wanted to produce a revision to the class that addresses some of the major issues with the class and that I am comfortable with allowing into the games I run both online and around the table.

This is the first Pyrokineticist class I've put under a microscope so this is done without any prior knowledge for comparison.

Special: Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn.

Already lovin' it! :smallbiggrin: 3/4 BAB and 7/10 Manifester progression are a nice trade-off for a class that has a more tangible weapon focus rather than straight manifesting.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A pyrokineticist gains no proficiency with the whip but not with any armor or shields.

I'm kinda confused by this statement. Why mention a lack of whip proficiency at all? Unless it's a typo, of course.

Fire Lash (Ps): A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The fire lash is treated as a whip that deals 1d8 points of fire damage, even against opponents wearing armor. Weapon Focus (whip) and other feats and effects that can apply to affect apply to a fire lash as though it were a whip.
A fire lash can be used to make disarm and trip attacks as if it were a whip, granting a +2 bonus on disarm attempts. If a pyrokineticist fails to disarm or trip her opponent, the opponent may not attempt to disarm or trip the pyrokineticist.
Like a normal whip, a fire lash does not threaten squares around the pyrokineticist.
The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.

Overall a really nice signature ability for the class. I think that a TWF melee build would get the most use out of it as they can wield a one-handed weapon to fill in the threatened gap. Finesse builds would get even more benefit as it's treated as a whip.

Scorch (Su): By channeling more potent energy into her flames, a pyrokineticist increases the damage she deals with fire. Anytime she deals fire damage to an opponent, she deals 1 additional point of damage. She deals 2 additional points of damage at 4th level, 3 additional points of damage at 7th level, and 4 additional points of damage at 10th level.
The additional damage from scorch ignores fire resistance and fire immunity and applies even if the normal fire damage is resisted.

Weapon Afire (Ps): At 2nd level and higher, a pyrokineticist can activate this ability as a move action. Flames that harm neither her nor the weapon engulf one weapon she holds. The weapon deals an extra 1d4 points of fire damage on a successful hit for every two levels of pyrokineticist she has. The weapon retains this effect for as long as the pyrokineticist wields it. Ranged weapons bestow this effect on the ammunition used.

Bolt of Fire (Ps): Starting at 3rd level, as a standard action, a pyrokineticist can launch a bolt of psionically manifested fire at any target in line of sight within 60 feet. This effect is treated as a ranged touch attack and deals 1d6 points of fire damage for each class level the pyrokineticist has.

The fire lash was just the appetizer. These are the meat and potatoes of the PrC. Two very nice attacks plus a decent amount of chip damage provide a solid offense even when the power point well runs dry.

Nimbus (Ps): Beginning at 5th level, a pyrokineticist can activate this ability as a move action. Flames that harm neither the pyrokineticist nor her equipment engulf her entire body. While she is aflame, the character’s Charisma score increases by 4, she can make a melee touch attack for 2d6 points of fire damage, and she gains damage reduction 5/magic. If she is struck in melee, the attacker takes 2d6 points of fire damage. This ability lasts for up to 1 minute per pyrokineticist level and is usable a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
At 8th level, the damage from her touch attacks increases to 4d6, and the damage an attacker takes in melee also increases to 4d6. In addition, she gains 1 more daily use of this power.

Nice solid defense option. This class is really starting to give me flashbacks to my Magma build for X-Men Legends.

Firewalk (Su): Beginning at 6th level, as a free action a pyrokineticist can expend her psionic focus to literally walk on air. She moves at her normal speed in all directions, including vertically, but cannot move more than double her speed in a round. A firewalking pyrokineticist leaves footprints of flame in the air that disperse in 2 rounds, but her tread does not deal damage. She must pay 1 power point per round spent traveling in this fashion.

I'm walking on sunshine! ...It had to be said... :smallyuk:

Heat Death (Ps): A pyrokineticist who reaches 9th level can spend 4 power points, expend her psionic focus, and take a full-attack action to raise the internal temperature of one living creature within 30 feet to lethal levels. The target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 14 + pyrokineticist’s Cha modifier) or die horrifically as its blood and other internal fluids boil. Even on a successful save, the target takes 4d8 points of fire damage from the heat.

The vision created by this ability's description can only be described with one word...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kF7Bcdz4w4

Mechanically, it suffers from the same problems that other save-or-die effects do. Although the partial effect is a decent amount of damage.

Soulscorch (Su): At 9th level, a pyrokineticist's fires burn hot enough to affect the very soul of her enemies. Any fire damage a pyrokineticist deals ignore the first 20 points of a creature's fire resistance and deals half damage even to creatures normally immune to fire.
This ability does not overcome a pyrokineticist's own fire resistance or immunity.

I like the added bonus for specializing in fire and mitigating the scenario-specific uselessness.

Conflagration (Ps): At 10th level, a pyrokineticist gains the ability to create a massive burst of raging flames around herself, burning everything in the area. Once per day, as a standard action, she can use this ability to deal 15d6 points of fire damage in a 30-foot-radius emanation around herself. Any creature or object caught in the burst can make a Reflex saving throw (DC 15 + pyrokineticist’s Cha modifier) for half damage. Anyone failing the Reflex save against the conflagration must also make a Fortitude saving throw (same DC) or die due to extreme shock from the intense heat.

Same comment as for Heat Death but a nice amount of damage for a faster action.

Overall, I think this class is a very good start to this project. I also think that it could be a good base for other elemental variants by only having to change a couple features outside of the meat & potatoes.

ErrantX
2013-07-21, 11:55 AM
So... it's basically the normal Pyrokineticist but you do more fire damage, you can ignore some fire resistance at higher level, and you get increases in manifesting.

So... it's basically what needed to happen to begin with. Good deal. I like it.

-X

Rizban
2013-07-23, 06:49 AM
I'm kinda confused by this statement. Why mention a lack of whip proficiency at all? Unless it's a typo, of course.Typo

So... it's basically the normal Pyrokineticist but you do more fire damage, you can ignore some fire resistance at higher level, and you get increases in manifesting.

So... it's basically what needed to happen to begin with. Good deal. I like it.

-XYeah. I made that class, because I felt the original suffered the same general issues as the soulknife (psionic without psionics) but felt that the majority of the rewrites out there were far too powerful.

I'm glad someone saw this! I've got some other things started or mostly finished. I've just been super busy lately. I should be posting things soon though, so watch for them!

AtlanteanTroll
2013-07-23, 10:07 AM
Potentially stupid question, but does Scorch stack with Fire Lash, Weapon Afire, and that lot?

Rizban
2013-07-23, 10:19 AM
Potentially stupid question, but does Scorch stack with Fire Lash, Weapon Afire, and that lot?

Yeah, that was the intent.

mikalife1
2013-07-23, 02:10 PM
One thing the way soulscorch is worded the pyrokineticist will at 10th level deal more damage to fire immune enemy's than to sufficiently fire resistant enemy's. as an example if your using bolt of fire 10d6+4 average 34 if the enemy has fire resistance 50(extreme example I know but bear with me) you do 4 damage but if they are immune you do 17 damage. Or was that the intended result:smallbiggrin:?

Rizban
2013-07-23, 02:17 PM
One thing the way soulscorch is worded the pyrokineticist will at 10th level deal more damage to fire immune enemy's than to sufficiently fire resistant enemy's. as an example if your using bolt of fire 10d6+4 average 34 if the enemy has fire resistance 50(extreme example I know but bear with me) you do 4 damage but if they are immune you do 17 damage. Or was that the intended result:smallbiggrin:?

The standard convention in 3.5 is that energy resistance caps at 30. There may be some exceptions, but that's the general expectation. I balanced soulscorch against that.

mikalife1
2013-07-23, 02:38 PM
Ah! I see that does make more sense.

Hanuman
2013-07-23, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised anything with a fire whip in DnD doesn't have a blast function.

Fire whips make explosions when you crack them.