PDA

View Full Version : Summoned Bone Devil

pbdr
2013-05-31, 11:04 AM
So, my campaign is getting a bit higher level. PCs are at 8.

The BBEG is a 12th lvl dread necro.

He has been sending things to try and kill the PCs (just to keep them on their toes and remind them they are being hunted). I want to try something other than an undead this time. A Bone Devil would be a good challenge.

Mechanically, how would the BBEG do this? Basically, summon the devil and send it to ambush the PCs, with it sticking around long enough to find and fight them.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 11:16 AM
So, my campaign is getting a bit higher level. PCs are at 8.

The BBEG is a 12th lvl dread necro.

He has been sending things to try and kill the PCs (just to keep them on their toes and remind them they are being hunted). I want to try something other than an undead this time. A Bone Devil would be a good challenge.

Mechanically, how would the BBEG do this? Basically, summon the devil and send it to ambush the PCs, with it sticking around long enough to find and fight them.

How far a distance does the Bone Devil need to travel? Because they have Greater Teleport at will. I think a simple Extended Summon Monster would work just fine.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-31, 11:28 AM
It's an outsider, so a scroll of Plainer Ally (or greater) could do it for up to 18HD.

Emmerask
2013-05-31, 11:40 AM
he could also have something (none mechanical) like a pact with some pit fiend who helps him by summoning one for him.

Overall its a level appropriate encounter you donīt really need justification for it, and more then likely your players wonīt question there being a bone devil I would think ^^

eggynack
2013-05-31, 11:42 AM
It's an outsider, so a scroll of Plainer Ally (or greater) could do it for up to 18HD.
Technically speaking, plainer ally can't summon a bone devil. It can only summon a plain ole devil.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 11:50 AM
Isn't there that whole BoVD rule that with a Knowledge Religion check and a sacrifice you can effectively cast a Greater Planar Binding?

Alaris
2013-05-31, 11:54 AM
he could also have something (none mechanical) like a pact with some pit fiend who helps him by summoning one for him.

Overall its a level appropriate encounter you donīt really need justification for it, and more then likely your players wonīt question there being a bone devil I would think ^^

Unless the players are absurdly sticklers for the rules, I think this applies.

It's easy to handwaive this as "The Dread Necromancer used up resources and cast a ritual to summon it" if it actually comes up. And if they absolutely need to know why, the simple "Planar Ally" spells as noted above should cover it.

pbdr
2013-05-31, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

This one actually ties in nicely with the the "post dread necromancer" story line (in a couple levels, they are going to get the chance to meet and possibly kill the Necro).

The Pit Fiend could be the leader of a bunch of demons currently trapped in a cave system in the underdark (it was going to be demons, but devils will work nicely instead and bone devils are way cooler than vrocks in my opinion).

The current BBEG is working to try and free the devils (in exchange for, say, a small to mid-sized country such as Mulhorand) but needs the blood of the PCs for the ritual. It's better to be making a deal with a devil, than with a demon n any case...

Gerrtt
2013-05-31, 03:01 PM
It doesn't really have to mechanically work...

In an upcoming campaign I am running there is a druid who's corrupting the animals in the woods and making them attack people. But realistically, a 3rd level druid doesn't have that kind of power, but the power of plot is true power indeed. The animals are attacking people because I say they are, and I also get to say that the druid is making it happen, because I say so.

So, if you want the necromancer to have bound a devil somehow to do his bidding...just say he does. That's plenty exciting and it might even encourage your players to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, which makes the villain live on outside the game, in their minds, and makes it all the more memorable when they fight it and eventually the villain.

Keld Denar
2013-05-31, 05:12 PM
Yea, just make sure there is a summoning circle in the Dread Necro's lair when they get there. I recommend the iSummon line of products for beginners because of the simple interface. Beware, however, because the cost is high and they do use some questionable manufacturing techniques.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 05:58 PM
Yea, just make sure there is a summoning circle in the Dread Necro's lair when they get there. I recommend the iSummon line of products for beginners because of the simple interface. Beware, however, because the cost is high and they do use some questionable manufacturing techniques.

Ha. Haha. Ha.

Spuddles
2013-05-31, 05:58 PM
How far a distance does the Bone Devil need to travel? Because they have Greater Teleport at will. I think a simple Extended Summon Monster would work just fine.

Summoned creatures cannot use conjuration (teleportation) effects. Any spells or Sp the summon uses that have a duration also end with the summoned creature's duration. I also believe they can't so conjuration (creation), either.

Mechanically what you want to do is Call a Bone Devil. That can be done with UMD planar binding, for instance. Or a ritual. Or DM handwaiving.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-31, 05:59 PM
Why not just try calling it with Planar Binding? DN's get that spell anyway. If you call it instead of summoning it it can teleport also (Note DN's do not get magic circle against evil or dimensional anchor so use scrolls or some other method to get those spells. Or just fiat that he learned them since magic circle against evil really should be on the DN's list)

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-31, 06:06 PM
Or just planner bind it and let it go. Have the DM contact it first to work out a deal for a romp on the prime material in exchange for going after some adventures while it is here. He's evil, it's Evil, what's not to love.

Zombulian
2013-05-31, 06:07 PM
Summoned creatures cannot use conjuration (teleportation) effects. Any spells or Sp the summon uses that have a duration also end with the summoned creature's duration. I also believe they can't so conjuration (creation), either.

Oh. Good ta know.

Tar Palantir
2013-06-01, 01:53 AM

Mechanically what you want to do is Call a Bone Devil. That can be done with UMD planar binding, for instance. Or a ritual. Or DM handwaiving.

Rules quote please? I can't seem to find this in the rules for summoned creatures.

TuggyNE
2013-06-01, 02:46 AM
Rules quote please? I can't seem to find this in the rules for summoned creatures.

I don't think it exists; summoned creatures are unable to use their summoning abilities, but that's it. (Technically, it's also a bit unclear whether their cast SLAs expire when they do, although it seems plausible enough to apply that.)

eggynack
2013-06-01, 02:59 AM
Or just planner bind it and let it go. Have the DM contact it first to work out a deal for a romp on the prime material in exchange for going after some adventures while it is here. He's evil, it's Evil, what's not to love.
I'd usually skip on planner binding just as much as I'd dismiss plainer ally as non-viable. It's a sweet spell, but you have to cast it about a week before you want a guy to show up. Wizard can plan pretty far ahead, but they don't usually run that long of a game unless they're actually doing the crazy super-divination thing.

TuggyNE
2013-06-01, 03:22 AM
I'd usually skip on planner binding just as much as I'd dismiss plainer ally as non-viable. It's a sweet spell, but you have to cast it about a week before you want a guy to show up. Wizard can plan pretty far ahead, but they don't usually run that long of a game unless they're actually doing the crazy super-divination thing.

I thought planner binding was just a thing Daytimer did in their factory.

eggynack
2013-06-01, 03:25 AM
I thought planner binding was just a thing Daytimer did in their factory.
:smallbiggrin: That one works even better. I only got the immediate pun based on binding on a planned basis, but I forgot about the double meaning of binding. Fancy.

TuggyNE
2013-06-01, 04:16 AM
:smallbiggrin: That one works even better. I only got the immediate pun based on binding on a planned basis, but I forgot about the double meaning of binding. Fancy.

*bows* I aim to please! :smallwink:

olentu
2013-06-01, 04:56 AM

Hmm. I can not recall a more general rule regarding summons and teleportation but he may be referring to the restriction that appears in the summoning spell itself. For example, from the summon monster description "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities."

TuggyNE
2013-06-01, 06:23 AM
Hmm. I can not recall a more general rule regarding summons and teleportation but he may be referring to the restriction that appears in the summoning spell itself. For example, from the summon monster description "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities."

Sure enough, why didn't I check that.

It doesn't show up in the Summon special ability though, so that's something.