PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Item Familiars

Nettlekid
2013-05-31, 12:23 PM
With an Item Familiar, it says you can invest your skill ranks into the Item Familiar and get bonuses to add to your skills. Now, I've been playing this wrong for a long time, as I've thought that when you invest skill ranks, you invest them into the ring and not into yourself, so you don't get any actual ranks yourself. As a result, you end up with about 1/3 the skill ranks as usual and one super-high skill. But now I see, when you invest skill ranks, you still get the ranks adding to your skill. That's very nice. But what I still don't quite get is the bonus. Can you change the skills to which the several +1 bonuses are applied, or is it set forever as soon as you make the decision about how you're placing your skill ranks into the Item Familiar?

Rijan_Sai
2013-05-31, 12:40 PM
Invest Skill Ranks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm#investSkillRanks)
Whenever a character with an item familiar gains skill points, he may choose to put some or all of those skill points into his item familiar. He assigns the skill points normally, but notes that they now reside in the item familiar. For every 3 ranks he assigns to the item familiar, he gains a +1 bonus that he can apply to any single skill. This bonus can be applied to a skill in which he already has maximum ranks. He can apply multiple bonuses to the same skill, but he may not have more points of bonus in a skill than he has ranks.

The pertinant line is bolded for you. Each point can be applied to any single skill you choose, but you can not change that choice afterwards.

unseenmage
2013-05-31, 12:42 PM
I'd just like to thank you both for the question and the answer. The question alone kept me from playing it wrong myself.

Keep being awesome playground.