PDA

View Full Version : [pathfinder]can i get shield bonus without shield?

isildur
2013-05-31, 02:05 PM
or can i craft ring of continuous shield?

i think it costs 4000gold.

shield- 1lv spell

caster level - 1

continuous - 2000gold

duration - 1min/level, than multiply 2

is it correct?

Addi
2013-05-31, 03:25 PM
It seems to be correct.
Alternatively you could get an enchanted mithral buckler but that doesn't seem to be necessary for the first few levels.

Edit: Oh well... you can't craft the ring until Level 7.
So you can get a mithral buckler +2 for 5005 gp for a total Shield-Bonus of +3
And for later levels:
+3 Buckler = 10005gp
+4 Buckler = 17005gp
+5 Buckler = 26005gp

Depends on how much the difference is worth to you.

Jeraa
2013-05-31, 03:33 PM
or can i craft ring of continuous shield?

i think it costs 4000gold.

shield- 1lv spell

caster level - 1

continuous - 2000gold

duration - 1min/level, than multiply 2

is it correct?

No, its incorrect. You must always compare the item to existing items first. A ring with a continuous Shield effect is very similar to +4 shield or Bracers of Armor +4. As such, it must be priced at least the same as those items. Thats 16,000gp. It would actually cost more, because of the protection against magic missiles.

Zherog
2013-05-31, 03:40 PM
Or you could just grab a ring of force shield - though it's only a +2 bonus.

Addi
2013-05-31, 03:41 PM
No, its incorrect. You must always compare the item to existing items first. A ring with a continuous Shield effect is very similar to +4 shield or Bracers of Armor +4. As such, it must be priced at least the same as those items. Thats 16,000gp. It would actually cost more, because of the protection against magic missiles.

That's a good point. The protection from magic missiles is not easily priced though.
Take the buckler instead ;)

isildur
2013-05-31, 03:44 PM
well, i can't use buckler and two handed weapon together without penalty.

isildur
2013-05-31, 03:46 PM
actually, i think it worth way more than 16000gp.

because +4 shield need shield hand, but ring doesn't.

bracer of armor? it gives amor ac bonus. amor ac bonus sucks.

rollforeigninit
2013-05-31, 03:47 PM
well, i can't use buckler and two handed weapon together.

Not true. You just lose the AC bonus if you use the weapon and take a -1 penalty to hit while using said buckler. In 3.5 you could actually take Improved Bucker Defense to retain the AC bonus but your thread says PF.

isildur
2013-05-31, 03:50 PM
yes, i can use them together. but i will lose ac bonus.

than, what's the meaning of buckler?

Addi
2013-05-31, 03:53 PM
amor ac bonus sucks.

Yeah. It's supposed to be more like the amulet of natural armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-natural-armor)....32,000gp.

I didn't imagine a character with the Forge Ring feat and a two-handed weapon :smallsmile:
The point in the buckler is the option for defense I guess.

isildur
2013-05-31, 03:57 PM
I want to buff fellow fighter. for me? mithral buckler serve me well.

Addi
2013-05-31, 04:12 PM
The only other thing that comes to mind is the permanency (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/permanency) spell. This would be much cheaper and less durable, because of Dispel Magic. But Shield is not on the list of available spells so you might want to speak to your DM.

Bhaakon
2013-05-31, 04:28 PM
yes, i can use them together. but i will lose ac bonus.

than, what's the meaning of buckler?

At low levels? pretty much nothing. But, as far as I'm aware, not gaining the AC bonus in no way prevents you from benefiting from the item's other enchantments. You can fill the buckler with special abilities and use it as an extra magic item slot. Once you attack bonus reaches a certain point, it's probably worth the -1 to hit to have the benefit of the best fortification enchantment you can afford.

isildur
2013-05-31, 04:35 PM
Ah, yes... that's a part i missed.

But still i can't get ac bonus from buckler.

grarrrg
2013-05-31, 09:22 PM
At low levels? pretty much nothing. But, as far as I'm aware, not gaining the AC bonus in no way prevents you from benefiting from the item's other enchantments. You can fill the buckler with special abilities and use it as an extra magic item slot. Once you attack bonus reaches a certain point, it's probably worth the -1 to hit to have the benefit of the best fortification enchantment you can afford.

Mostly that.
But there is also the option of using a 1-handed weapon with a Buckler.
Then you can either use the weapon as a 1-hand, and get full Buckler benefits, or, when needed, 2-hand the weapon for the extra STR to damage and forgo the AC and such.