PDA

View Full Version : The Moving Tower; Is it a Stronghold or a Wondrous Item?

unseenmage
2013-05-31, 03:29 PM
Is The Moving Stronghold an item or a stronghold?
I'm looking to craft/modify The Moving Tower found here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070423a

However, I see no reference to the Stronghold Builder's Guide rules in the article. This makes me wonder if the tower as written can be modified or augmented. Or perhaps can the price of the clockwork properties of the tower be extrapolated and a price per stronghold space found.

What would/should the price per stronghold space be for the clockwork features of the tower?

I've done a preliminary breakdown of the tower's features as per the SBG (shown below).
Anyone else care to attempt a breakdown of it as a custom wondrous magic item for comparison purposes?

The Moving Tower 5.5 ss

Rooms
5F, 1ss: observatory (as basic study) 200gp+2,000gp for height
4F, 1ss: empty floor (as basic storage) 250gp+1,000gp for height
3F, 1ss: basic bedroom 800gp+400gp for height
2F, 1ss: basic kitchen 2,000gp
1F, 2ss: two basic stables (listed with twice normal stable capacity) 2x 1,000gp

Iron Walls
5.5ss = 20% interior walls and 80% exterior walls
interior: #ss x6,000gp x20% = 6,600gp
exterior: #ss x6,000gp x80% = 26,400gp

Mobile
-5% to base price
rolling at 20 feet per round = crawling at 2 mph
fleet 2mph speed: #ss x13,500gp = 74,250gp
crawling locomotion: #ss x1,000gp = 5,500gp

Clockwork
I didn't take these into account as they're what I'm trying to derive the cost of. Though several of them could certainly be calculated as wondrous architecture. (1/2 the price of a wondrous item basically)

All totaled that's 121,400gp -5% mobile modifier = a Market Price of 115,330gp
Other steps could be taken to increase or decrease the price but not by much.
For example, you could decede that 5.5ss should count as 6ss instead of 5ss on the 'Interior and Exterior Walls' chart. Or you could gain additional discounts or increases depending on what you decided your Primary City was.

The MP for The Moving Tower is listed as 100,000gp
The proposed lower limit for the same effects minus the clockwork properties is 15,330gp more. The fast and dirty way to decide the price of the clockwork components would be to round that to 15,500gp and be done with it. But that does not take things like height adjustments into account.

The primary benefit of the clockwork properties seem to be the ability to reconfigure up to 5 rooms worth of stronghold spaces into up to 4 different configurations.
The heating, escalators, elevator, self-cleaning, folding bridge, and minor defenses seem mostly flavor to me. Though a case could be made that the automated defenses and folding bridge are more mechanical, I don't think they're something that needs to be included in a 'per stronghold space' calculation.

Thanks regardless playgrounders.

Flickerdart
2013-05-31, 03:32 PM
It is neither. Given the necessary feats for crafting it, the Tower is a construct.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-31, 04:33 PM
You need the feat "Craft Construct" and a DC 20 Craft (blacksmithing) check, as well as the spells stoneskin, feather fall, and gust of wind, materials worth 50,000 gp and an expenditure of 4,000 XP.

Splendor
2013-07-31, 05:38 AM
I would say you'd need to be 10th level, have the Craft Construct feat, Make a blacksmithing check of DC 20, and have the spells (stoneskin, feather fall, gust of wind). (honestly I would replace the blacksmithing check with a Engineering check)

I would say the base price no matter what started at 50,000gp.
For each 5' square you added up added 18.35gp.

The current one has a total of 2725sq feet * 18.35 = 50,003.75gp.

If the PC wanted to build it much larger than I would increase the base price so he just couldn't 'math' the thing to death.