PDA

View Full Version : A Limb Crippling Good Time

RogueDM
2013-05-31, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know of a good source or system for combat that allows for targeting specific body parts. I know that you can aim at a body part by using, I think, a size category lower, or two for a hand etc... And the DMG has some rules for limb damage, but I'm looking for something more comprehensive.

Full disclosure: I'm running a renaissance campaign and so there's lots of ranged combat, which can limit combat options... To I shoot, or I shoot from cover. Just wondering if anyone's encountered anything that's more particular about picking apart limbs, how it effects overall hp, and how much damage would be required to cripple a limb, etc.

Come to think of it, Dark Heresy had some kind of system for this, but it doesn't exactly jive with 3.x.
Primarily using 3.5, but am willing to houserule and modify any reasonably close system, 3rd party splat, etc.

Thank you in advance.

JusticeZero
2013-05-31, 04:27 PM
It's pretty intentionally lacking, because in any crit hit system, the only number that has any meaning is how many HP the other person's head has. By the fluff of the HP system, it would only make sense if a called shot was ALWAYS LESS EFFECTIVE than a standard attack, since you are passing up better targets by making the called shot.

Renen
2013-05-31, 04:34 PM
You can always take the targets AC, add a few, and say that its to hit their leg, which has (lets say) 1/5 of character's current HP. If u hit it, they can't run far only on one leg.

JusticeZero
2013-05-31, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but then you have the next part of the consequences. "Take a -8 and you can hit it in the head, which only has 1/5 of the HP." "Awesome. I have +38 to hit. I roll a.. 2. I hit and instantly kill him."

Renen
2013-05-31, 04:44 PM
Don't allow headshots. That's what's vorpal for

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-05-31, 07:28 PM
I believe Pathfinder has a variant rule for called shots on its SRD.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/variant-rules#TOC-Called-Shots

I've never used this option in a game, so I can't really say how good/effective/balanced it is, but it sounds like it might be what you're looking for.