PDA

View Full Version : Silly Lack of Armor Check Penalty

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 04:42 PM
Anyone think it's funny that no clothing has an armor check penalty? A Queen wearing a Royal Outfit with layers of petticoats takes less of an armor check penalty than a rogue wearing Studded Leather Armor when trying to go for a swim. You'd think that even the stereotypical wizard's robe or some of the goofy things spellcasters wear in the book art would incur an armor check penalty or interfere with somatic components more than a simple Chain Shirt would.

Not really anything gamebreaking by any means, just silly.

nedz
2013-05-31, 04:49 PM
One for the Dysfunctional Rules thread perhaps ?

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 04:56 PM
Good idea, and done.

JusticeZero
2013-05-31, 05:09 PM
You could always apply one for a given outfit.

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 05:13 PM

Common sense has no place in making new house rules. We need to see it in ink.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-31, 05:47 PM

As long as you're at it, would you like to add some house rules covering the drawbacks of capes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0)?

JusticeZero
2013-05-31, 06:09 PM
I like cloaks. lindybeige had a nice ramble on cloaks at one point. They're easy to slip off, if you're worried about them being caught, you can attach them with clips so that they fall off if tugged. Modern blazers and sportcoats deserve an ACP though; maybe -3 or so.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-31, 07:19 PM
I like cloaks. lindybeige had a nice ramble on cloaks at one point. They're easy to slip off, if you're worried about them being caught, you can attach them with clips so that they fall off if tugged. Modern blazers and sportcoats deserve an ACP though; maybe -3 or so.

But remember, that Armani is masterwork, so chop a few points off the ACP.:smallcool:

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-31, 07:36 PM
And this is when Circumstance penalties can rear their heads.

Noble Outfit? -4 penalty to the normal array of physical skills.

Juntao112
2013-05-31, 07:40 PM
Anyone think it's funny that no clothing has an armor check penalty? A Queen wearing a Royal Outfit with layers of petticoats takes less of an armor check penalty than a rogue wearing Studded Leather Armor when trying to go for a swim. You'd think that even the stereotypical wizard's robe or some of the goofy things spellcasters wear in the book art would incur an armor check penalty or interfere with somatic components more than a simple Chain Shirt would.

Not really anything gamebreaking by any means, just silly.

I've heard this argument before... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 09:53 PM

I seem to recall him mentioning that his friend tripped over his cloak. Maybe we can add a trip chance to any adjacent allies.

koboldish
2013-05-31, 10:27 PM
Ties should have at least -5. I swear they try to kill me.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-31, 10:43 PM

Not far off. They're forbidden in a lot of workplaces because they're a serious hazard. And not just to the wearer; they're prone to getting nasty stuff on them, which you don't want to be carrying around if you're an ER doc.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-31, 11:08 PM

That is why all good paladins wear clip-on ties when going into battle. :smalltongue:

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 11:24 PM

You must make a Con check to avoid suffocation.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-01, 12:18 AM
You must make a Con check to avoid suffocation.

Extra brutality: Necklace of Choking disguised as a tie.

Sylthia
2013-06-01, 12:21 AM
Extra brutality: Necklace of Choking disguised as a tie.

I thought they already were.