PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 calculating xp for encounters

AntiTrust
2013-05-31, 05:54 PM
The modules all list EL's next to areas or situations. If the option for combat is there, but the group doesn't actually fight how do I calculate xp?

For example in The Forgotten Forge it lists an EL 5 for "The City Watch" an encounter where the watch asks the players questions, but it only becomes dangerous if the players become belligerent and attack the city watch. My players were helpful and remained polite and thus completed the encounter. So how much xp do I award them?

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-31, 06:05 PM
Generally, you award the same XP no matter how the party defeats the encounter. In situations where it is possible to defeat an encounter without combat, some DMs like to make sure the DCs of key skill checks are high enough that if the party decides to do an end-around the combat, the accomplishment is still one that presented a worthy challenge to the party.

AntiTrust
2013-05-31, 10:31 PM
When using an XP calculator does I just input that as a CR 5?

137beth
2013-05-31, 10:48 PM
When using an XP calculator does I just input that as a CR 5?

Yes. If the overcame a CR 5 encounter, then that is CR 5. Unless you want to specifically encourage combat (which you may want to do, depending on your game), then it should be the same xp regardless of how the overcame it. In fact, in some games, I want to encourage diplomacy (not the skill, the process), and in those cases I give extra xp for not fighting. In other words, all of this is optional, they can level up at whatever pace you feel is appropriate and they think is fun.

Sylthia
2013-05-31, 10:53 PM
I generally give the same amount of XP that the party would have gotten if they had gotten into combat if they manage to "defeat" the encounter some other way.

Beheld
2013-05-31, 10:57 PM
The whole thing where you give XP be based on CR instead of EL is weird and stupid. Functionally, I don't think there is anything wrong with just giving XP based on EL as if it was CR. In fact, it is probably better. Faster to figure out, and I think it comes out to the same amount except when something weird happens.

An a level 10 character that beats 1,000 Kobolds at once should probably receive the XP of the EL, instead of zero.

And of course, social encounters or puzzles are usually given an EL but not a CR.