PDA

View Full Version : Good Pathfinder Modules for Kids

PrettiestFrog
2013-05-31, 07:02 PM
I'd like some good modules to run for a group of kids (average age 8) who are just starting to play pathfinder.

Any recommendations?

Current party makeup is a half-orc barbarian, a human sorcerer with a fire specialty, and a halfling rogue.

KillingAScarab
2013-06-01, 02:24 AM
I know I have seen this same topic title (or nearly so) recently. This might be it?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280274

I could have sworn there was a recommendation for We Be Goblins! in the one I saw, though... Other threads with similar titles showing up either don't deal with Pathfinder or just recommend the Pathfinder Beginner Box. I haven't seen the Beginner Box, so I don't know how flexible it is, but I remember hearing when it came out that there was an extra adventure published online for it. If it isn't tied down to the specific characters (or require four when you have three) that might be an option.

Out of curiosity, how are you handling healing for the party, if it even comes up? Abundant magic items? An NPC such as a druid or maybe a magical beast?

Ravens_cry
2013-06-01, 02:49 AM
Honestly, there is none I would really use for kids of that age.
I'd make something yourself, something iconic, something fun, something simple yet engaging. Have them rescue somebody, cut down some critters, loot chests, have fun. Have NPC that are silly and entertaining and villains you love to hate. Keep things descriptive and visceral, try to find ways to let them do the crazy 'newbie' ideas they might have. Do silly voices.
And above all, have fun.
Introducing new players to the hobby is vital for there to keep being a hobby.

PrettiestFrog
2013-06-01, 09:36 AM
Out of curiosity, how are you handling healing for the party, if it even comes up? Abundant magic items? An NPC such as a druid or maybe a magical beast?

So far they haven't gone very far from base and I've been careful to ensure that there is nothing that is going to kill them in one hit. Thus far, rather than risking death, they've risked things like being temporarily turned into a rabbit, being cursed to be unable to speak and having to communicate in gestures, and having their charisma dropped to 1 and everything running away from them. Their 'boss' is a spellcaster of indeterminate class who can fix anything once they make it back to base.

They are still learning the ropes and what abilities are available for them, so I'm keeping challenges light and fudging the dice wherever they come up with a creative strategy. If they were my grown-up players, yeah, I'd probably have TPKed them a dozen times for doing things like forgetting to look for traps, kicking down a door and bullrushing the first thing that moves, and lighting a wheat field on fire to kill zombies while standing in said wheat field.

Once they get the rules down a little better and understand a little more about tactics, I plan to segue into running actual 'modules', whether they be created by me or downloaded. Right now, I'm just proud they all have actual character backgrounds.

Kudaku
2013-06-01, 09:53 AM
I guess it depends on how open you are to some different themes, like violence.

If you tweak it a bit I think We Be Goblins could be quite kid-friendly. I'd tone down on the cannibalism though..

Yora
2013-06-01, 10:01 AM
How about Masters of the Fallen Fortress? It's a neat little dungeon with 12 rooms and not much frills. As a starting adventure for some kids it seems like a decent thing. And it's free.

Grollub
2013-06-01, 10:16 AM
How bout that adventure ( i forget the name ) with the inbred mountain ogre clan? :smallcool:

Kudaku
2013-06-01, 10:42 AM
How bout that adventure ( i forget the name ) with the inbred mountain ogre clan? :smallcool:

The Hook Mountain Massacre? I guess it depends on the kids! :smallbiggrin:

I know some CoD addicts that'd probably happily blaze through the Texas Chainsaw Massacre-themed first part, for instance.

ericp65
2013-06-01, 10:48 AM
I'd like some good modules to run for a group of kids (average age 8) who are just starting to play pathfinder.

Any recommendations?

Current party makeup is a half-orc barbarian, a human sorcerer with a fire specialty, and a halfling rogue.

Ages 10 and up is out the window, eh?

Yora
2013-06-01, 11:34 AM
My brother had been Dungeon Crawling since he was 6. Not exactly D&D, but a tile based board game. In which our mom had to read the monster and item cards to us.

It all depends on how you run it.

Crasical
2013-06-01, 03:55 PM
Yeah, maybe it's just the modules I've looked at, but most Pathfinder adventure paths seem to be kinda grim. Not really kids stuff.

Kudaku
2013-06-01, 05:34 PM
I think I saw a thread like this on the paizo forums a couple of months back, though they were asking for Adventure Path suggestions, not modules. I'll see if I can dredge it up...

Edit: Couldn't find the thread I had in mind but there are a few other ones that explore the same topic.
Here's an example. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2lpb7?adventure-path-for-kids#1)

Near as I can tell the more kid-friendly APs is

1. Kingmaker, because it's fairly sandboxy - ie it's easier for you to tweak out the more objectionable content. The actual kingdom mechanics might be a bit complex for young children, but you know their system mastery better than me so I won't really get into that :smallsmile:
2. Legacy of Fire, which is full of flying carpets and genies and the like.

I gotta admit that my personal experience only stretches to Rise of the Runelords, Carrion Crown, and Curse of the Crimson Throne, so what I wrote above is second-hand advice. Out of the APs I do have experience from, I'd say Carrion Crown is out right from the get-go, Crimson Throne is quite, quite dark, Rise has some potential - the first part isn't too too bad and what there is can be edited out. The skinsaw murders (part 2)and the hook mountain massacre (part 3) on the other hand, are (unsurprisingly) quite grim.

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-01, 05:37 PM
Kingmaker? From the parts of it I did, nothing was particularly bad.

Cyan Wisp
2013-06-01, 08:45 PM
First, good on you for bringing in kids to the hobby!

I am a teacher and currently run 4 games at lunchtime (1/day) with groups aged 7-10, both boys and girls. They adore it and can barely wait week to week. They are picking up the system quickly. Don't underestimate the kids!

I started every group off with a short, simple adventure I whipped up to teach the game. I used someone else's idea about employing fairy tales - it was fun for the kids because they had a link to the story (in this case, Little Red Riding Hood) and were excited about being inside the story and changing events.

Now, I am using free adventures and web enhancements from the WOTC archive and adjusting them accordingly - playing down the killin' and increasing skill use, problem solving and role-playing opportunities. They are sold to the players as "jobs". Gold is good currency for them...

Dark and Stormy Knight, Something's Cooking, Gorgoldand's Gauntlet and a PF freebie Hollow's Last Hope are in the works. I've used the Hobgoblin Outpost web enhancement as an infiltration/spying mission with Info Levels determining payment (orders are: strictly no engagement with the hobs).

Unfortunately, some of the boys are convinced that threatening NPCs such as cooks and gate guards is how to get ahead in the game. One group got TPK'ed for this: the party rogue attacked a job contact (he had a bubbling red beverage, no other reason) in a crowded tavern full of soldiers. Only the changeling escaped as he wisely disguised himself and fled.

Good luck!

vballrican
2014-06-16, 09:15 AM
i know it's been a while but can you send me some of the adventures you created? I'm to have my kids and some of their friends interested but i'm not very creative... :( Thanks.

First, good on you for bringing in kids to the hobby!

I am a teacher and currently run 4 games at lunchtime (1/day) with groups aged 7-10, both boys and girls. They adore it and can barely wait week to week. They are picking up the system quickly. Don't underestimate the kids!

I started every group off with a short, simple adventure I whipped up to teach the game. I used someone else's idea about employing fairy tales - it was fun for the kids because they had a link to the story (in this case, Little Red Riding Hood) and were excited about being inside the story and changing events.

Now, I am using free adventures and web enhancements from the WOTC archive and adjusting them accordingly - playing down the killin' and increasing skill use, problem solving and role-playing opportunities. They are sold to the players as "jobs". Gold is good currency for them...

Dark and Stormy Knight, Something's Cooking, Gorgoldand's Gauntlet and a PF freebie Hollow's Last Hope are in the works. I've used the Hobgoblin Outpost web enhancement as an infiltration/spying mission with Info Levels determining payment (orders are: strictly no engagement with the hobs).

Unfortunately, some of the boys are convinced that threatening NPCs such as cooks and gate guards is how to get ahead in the game. One group got TPK'ed for this: the party rogue attacked a job contact (he had a bubbling red beverage, no other reason) in a crowded tavern full of soldiers. Only the changeling escaped as he wisely disguised himself and fled.

Good luck!