PDA

View Full Version : Mistborn Homebrew! [PF] (I Need Help!)

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-05-31, 08:12 PM
Hello, Brewers! I'm writing a magic system to mimic Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy, the three types of magic that can be found in Brandon Sanderson's acclaimed Mistborn series. Go read them, if you haven't already. I promise you it's worth it.

Back? Good. On to the important things.

The framework for Allomancy and Feruchemy as class features are done. Hemalurgy is probably going to be a series of feats you can take to gain spikes and powers. At least one base class is planned (Rogue chassis, gains access to both Allomancy and Feruchemy because who doesn't want to be the Lord Ruler, trades rogue tricks for Metalborn feats that allow specialization in certain metals), but about half of the project will be ACF's that grant Allomantic or Feruchemical ability. For example, a Misting Fighter would lose his bonus feats at levels X, Y, and Z, but gain the ability to burn Steel.

The other half of the project is the metals, and this is where the problems start to arise. Some of them are cool, and simple (Like Pewter). Some of them are cool, and really difficult to translate into game terms (Feruchemical Copper). I have a couple of the metals done, and I added four of my own (Cold Iron, Silver, Adamantine, Mithral, yes I know it breaks the rules of Allomancy).
I'd like some help doing them. To provide an example, i've provided my writeup of Brass below.

BRASS
Allomantically speaking, Brass is one of the subtler metals. Apart from the prime battle metals like Steel, Iron, or Pewter, it is a metal of emotion. A Metalborn burning brass can Soothe the emotions of others, dampening their feelings and thoughts. A Metalborn storing it Feruchemically can affect their body temperature, allowing them to exist in extremes of temperature, or even use heat as a form of attack.

Allomancy-Soother (Mental, External, Pushing)
Burn Rate: 20 minutes per charge, 2 minutes per charge when flared
Charge Price: 10gp

While burning Brass, a Metalborn can supress the emotional response of a creature or creatures. As a swift action, the metalborn targets a creature within Medium range and begins Soothing it (Will saving throw negates). If the creature fails it’s saving throw, the Metalborn gains a +10 to all Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks against that target. If the creature fails it’s saving throw by more than 5, the metalborn can immediately make a suggestion to that creature. If it fails by more than 10, the metalborn can immediately affect them as if by calm emotions. Succeeding on a DC 20 Sense Motive roll (performed during the same action as the Soothing) adds +5 to the DC to avoid being Soothed. Succeeding on the saving throw means that the target knows it is being targeted by emotional Allomancy, and gains a +10 to all saving throws against it for the rest of the day. Instead of a single target, a metalborn can Soothe a large group of people simultaneously. The metalborn can project a 60-foot cone, a 40-foot burst, a 100-foot line, or a 20-foot ball (Medium range) of Soothing as a full-round action.
Flaring Brass: Concealing flared Brass is impossible. The target automatically knows it is being affected. However, this means that it can be used offensively, crushing the target’s emotional response in an explosive flare of apathy. A target being affected by flared Brass must make a Will saving throw or immediately be dazed for the duration of the Brass flare.
Duralumin Enhanced Brass: By explosively Soothing everything in the target’s mind, you destroy it’s ability to feel. The target is affected by calm emotions for a number of days equal your IL. The target is helpless for the first 10 minutes, unable to muster the willpower to do anything, even stand.

Feruchemy- Heat (Firesoul)
Store Rate: IL charges per hour
Burn Rate: 2 charges per round
A Metalborn who carries a brassmind has perfect control over his own body temperature, able to increase or decrease it at will. While some deride this ability as useful only to a select few, Firesouls are more powerful than most believe. After all, it’s difficult to fight someone whose core body temperature could melt steel.
Storing Brass: You come under the effects of an endure elements spell. Your body temperature drops by the number of charges being stored *5. You gain resistance to fire equal to the charges being stored. If you store at least 12 charges, you gain immunity to fire. While storing heat, you are shivering. Take a -5 penalty on any Dex based roll, and a -2 to all attack rolls.
Tapping Brass: You come under the effects of an endure elements spell. Your body temperature spikes by (IL+charges expended)*10 degrees Celsius. If at least 10 charges are expended, you gain immunity to cold. If at least 15 charges are expended, you begin radiating an aura of Severe heat out to Short range, and gain a melee touch attack that deals 1d4 fire damage per two class levels. Note that this is hot enough to flash-boil water by touching it, melt ice in less than five seconds, and ignite wood and flesh in an instant.
Compounding Brass (Braziers/Ashbringers): Along with the normal benefits of Compounding, the temperature of your heat aura increases to Burning, your melee touch attack’s damage increases to 1d8, and the temperature variance changes to charges^3. Note that this temperature is hot enough to light the ground on fire simply by walking on it, melt most elements that aren’t tungsten or magically enhanced, and incinerates most types of creature. There is a reason that the derogatory name for Brass Compounders is Ashbringers.

Note that the power level for this project is going to be high. A Lord Ruler (No the hypothetical class doesn't have a name yet) would be middle Tier 2.

If you lied and didn't read the books, some information on both Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy can be found in the links.
Allomancy (http://coppermind.net/wiki/Allomancy)
Feruchemy (http://coppermind.net/wiki/Feruchemy)
Hemalurgy (http://coppermind.net/wiki/Hemalurgy)

So, that's it. If you have a super-cool idea for a metal or feat or class or WHATEVER, post it. Or PM me. I'm flexible.

themourningstar
2013-06-06, 03:34 PM
I loved the books, and I gave a good amount of thought to how I would work the game system out... My brain got broken. :l Good luck trying to translate the horribly quick movements and jumping dodging etc of someone pulling on a.chunk of metal... Not to mention, then you have to catalog EVERY piece of metal in a room. Who knows when that nail in the wall could be used?

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-06-06, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the External Physical metals are being nightmarish. Almost all the metals except for Allomantic Gold because i have no idea what that would do in crunch terms, Allomantic Iron/Steel because Ironpulls and Steelpushes are weird, and a couple of the other Temporal metals because those will cause massive balance issues if I don't figure those out.

On the bright side, I've been able to do some really cool stuff with the metals I have worked out! Coming up with ideas for Compounding stuff that translates into D&D is fun. For example, Double Mithral Twinborn, better known as Doomsayers, can disintegrate things with their voice.

The base classes are coming together, too. The Mistborn class is just going to be " rogue+Allomancy+Allomancy Feats", because the PF Rogue needs the help. The Feruchemist is going to be "monk+Feruchemy+Feruchemy Feats", and the Mistborn/Feruchemist, tentatively named the Mistlord, is "fighter+Allomancy+Feruchemy+Compounding". Because I asked myself which class deserved the biggest power boost, and the answer was the beatstick. Misting/Ferring/Twinborn are going to be Archetype Packages that usually replace spellcasting ability. Because i'm really uncomfortable with the idea of a Slider Wizard.

TL;DR- It's pretty hard but it's coming together!

Durazno
2013-06-06, 07:53 PM
In the distant future, might we see an Iron Inquisitor PrC?

It seems like Hemalurgy ought to require a more significant investment than just a feat or two, though I suppose "you can now pierce copperclouds" would be just about right for one, huh?

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-06-06, 09:43 PM
Steel Inquisitor was going to be a template, actually. It's basically someone getting
-The full suite of Physical and possibly Mental Allomantic powers
-Gold, Pewter, and Steel Feruchemical powers
-And going crazy because of all the spikes they have.

I would be interested in a PrC where you become an Inquisitor and learn to control yourself, though.

Hemalurgy is going to involve two things- feats, and xenoalchemy.

(It's a Kellus thing. Kellus is pretty great.)

Basically, in the vein of Craft Magic Weapon/Potion/Armor feats, you need a "Hemalurgic Practitioner" feat or something like that to even spike people, along with either 10 ranks in Heal and Spellcraft or having at least 3 levels of xenoalchemist. Once you can spike people, they take spikes as grafts of a certain level, with a few restrictions

-All spikes you give possess half your investor level in power. For every 3 days they aren't in a body, the investor level decreases by 1 to a minium of 1/4 your investor level.

-Every spike you get permanently decreases either your Wisdom (Which i'm leery of because it's the "casting" stat for both Allomancy and Feruchemy) or Charisma by 1. If this would drop your Wisdom below 13, you are subject to suggestions by the D&D equivalent of Ruin, who I have decided is the Evil Elemental Prince of the Plane of Metal. If this drops your Wisdom below 9, you are dominated by him and become an NPC.

However, if you already possess an Allomantic or Feruchemical power and gain a spike for that power, you add the investor level of the spike to your own, and you gain a special benefit-i.e., piercing copperclouds.

EDIT- Also, I have a disgusting habit of switching tenses between writing sessions, so about half of the metals refer to "you" and the other half refers to "the Metalborn"! HahahahahahaAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH