PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with Jicama?

Togath
2013-06-01, 01:54 AM
As the title suggests.. I bought a Jicama at the store today(oddly, it was in the fruit section.. despite seeming to be a root:smallconfused:)..
I now realize I have no idea what it is or how it's used..
Is it like a turnip? Or closer to a radish?

kurokotetsu
2013-06-01, 01:52 PM
No even close, in either account. In Mexico it is used in salads as a fresh ingirideint with a lot of water and not a strong taste. It adds a refreshing touch to salads while not making a very strong impression. Tropical salads mostly.

But the most normal way is slice it, add lime and powdered chili and eat it as small ours d'ouvre. Usually in the spring is popular, especially mixed with baby carrots, to add variety and contrast.

Haruki-kun
2013-06-01, 02:34 PM
But the most normal way is slice it, add lime and powdered chili and eat it as small ours d'ouvre. Usually in the spring is popular, especially mixed with baby carrots, to add variety and contrast.

Pretty much this. Some people like to chop it up and put it in salads and stuff, but I never saw the point, it adds little to no value to a salad. Treat it like a snack. You can cut it into cubes, into long slices, or shred it, but lime and salt (or lime and chilli powder) are essential. It's nearly tasteless by itself.

Alternatively, eat it like you would celery sticks or carrot sticks or cucumber sticks, with some sort of dressing or dip.

Bhu
2013-06-02, 01:15 AM
A lot of people use it for slaw as well.