PDA

View Full Version : Dominating My Clone, and Yours, and Yours!

Terryth
2013-06-01, 12:01 PM
Ok.

It doesn't seem to me that the subject of a Clone spell could be dominated given that they are a lab-grown soulless piece of flesh and such.

However, there is a magic mirror...

Mirror of Opposition:
This item resembles a normal mirror about 4 feet long and 3 feet wide. It can be hung or placed on a surface and then activated by speaking a command word. The same command word deactivates the mirror. If a creature sees its reflection in the mirror’s surface, an exact duplicate of that creature comes into being. This opposite immediately attacks the original. The duplicate has all the possessions and powers of its original (including magic). Upon the defeat or destruction of either the duplicate or the original, the duplicate and her items disappear completely. The mirror functions up to four times per day.
Strong necromancy; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, clone; Price 92,000 gp;Weight 45 lb.

My character is a Psion Telepath that focuses on Charm/Dominate to make my party some slave-friends.

The obvious danger with this mirror is that, if I use it on myself, I summon myself; a being with awesome will saves and an arsenal of mental anguish to throw around. I have just as much of a chance of being dominated by my clone as I have to dominate my clone.

However, I figure a way around this is to have a trap/glyph/something set up to cast Hold Person or Paralyze or some similar disabling effect on the clone as SOON as it steps out of the mirror. Even go so far as to disrobing and taking all buff equipment off before summoning clone so it is weaker.

I figure unless I Nat 1 beyond coincidence, I should easily be able to cast a Psionic Dominate on my clone that lasts for 1 day per level.

This should let me sit comfortably in the inn while my exact replica goes off to do my dirty work.

What's more is that I think I can manage to do this for the whole party of 4; Myself, our warlock, our were-rhinocerous monk, and my DMs Cleric character.

Limit of 4 times per day. It almost seems like it was made for this, but I haven't found anything looking around to see if rules make this all legit.

Or I could even make 4 copies of myself and Dominate all of them. What's more, I could instruct the copies of myself (that have full PP, or I presume have full or at least more PP than my True self has), to make more copies of themselves, and to dominate those copies themselves, thereby giving me a nearly limitless supply of my copies and copies of copies and copies of their copies of copies (within the day/level limit of the spell).

I'm sure the DM would just tell me to get out of his house and never come back....but that all seems to be RAW to me.

Guidance? Comments?

Glimbur
2013-06-01, 12:39 PM
The mirror also makes for an amusing way to fight a BBEG. Or you can kit out orphans in full plate, copy them, and mug the copies. Just give them buckets of nonlethal so the armor exists until you can sell it. That's a really silly way to use a hammer made out of Gundanium to forge pennies, but it works.

Consider copying other party members with a lower will save.

Terryth
2013-06-01, 12:51 PM
Yeah, cloning myself over and over would be cool but trickier.

Much better to do other people, that way they aren't hostile towards me and resist my Dominate compulsions because of their nature if DM wants to argue that way.

I'd have loved to cloned his dragon boss and dominated it over and over again if I had this then, but I was too low level.

Instead I charmed it and got it drunk of Elfwine until it passed out, then coup de grace in its sleep. :D I love ending a BBEG in 5 minutes.

Flickerdart
2013-06-01, 01:25 PM
Note that being unable to move does not prevent one from manifesting psionic powers. So you would need some way to incapacitate it that knocked it out. Another option could be to have your buddies ready actions to buff you/debuff it as soon as it steps through. Set aside all of your Will save boosting equipment, have a Psionic Moment of Prescience to guarantee going first (the duplicate doesn't say it copies your buffs, too) and blast him with your dominate.

Or you could planar bind a Nightmare and Astral Project yourself, which has the advantage of actually using your intellect and abilities properly (since a dominated creature has a very limited range of activity if you aren't there to command it).