PDA

View Full Version : How to handle S.E.X. In D&D?

CyberThread
2013-06-01, 12:45 PM
[Real question]So it seems maybe not a logical problem as far as the mechanics come down to it, you look around, you see what is what, and you roll dice and you fight it.

How far does that extend into roleplay though, if you are a DM?[/real question]

[Blue letter sarcasm]Situational Engagement Xtraletter Awareness[/blue letter sarcasm] , [real question]works that, you notice the folks fighting in front of you but maybe not the person flying above you shooting arrows, or other such situations of someone attacking from your peripheral vision.

How would you chose to handle such things?[/real question]

Marnath
2013-06-01, 12:52 PM
[Real question]So it seems maybe not a logical problem as far as the mechanics come down to it, you look around, you see what is what, and you roll dice and you fight it.

[Blue letter sarcasm]Situational Engagement Xtraletter Awareness[/blue letter sarcasm] , [real question]works that, you notice the folks fighting in front of you but maybe not the person flying above you shooting arrows, or other such situations of someone attacking from your peripheral vision.

Spot, listen, and the facing rules in Unearthed Arcana.

Kish
2013-06-01, 12:56 PM
...Without combat metaphors. Is how I handle it.

Ashtagon
2013-06-01, 12:58 PM

I have no idea what you just asked.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-01, 12:59 PM
Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Vultawk
2013-06-01, 01:26 PM
It's never happened, but I'd use what I've heard called a "Boot Cut", which refers to those scenes on the old Star Trek where Captain Kirk would have some green woman in his arms, they would kiss passionately, and... cut to Kirk lacing up his boots.

Seems to be the classiest way to do it without being super-awkward.

TV Tropes calls it a Sexy Discretion Shot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SexyDiscretionShot).

Glimbur
2013-06-01, 02:09 PM
There are ways for enemies/creatures/buildings to hide:the Hide skill, invisibility, etc. There are ways to distract a PC: fascinate effects, blinding, etc. In the absence of either of these, I am ok with the PC's automatically noticing, for example, the harpy that just flew over the combat with a bow. It's not the most realistic approach, but it is simple and it doesn't interfere with the kind of game I want to play.

Marnath
2013-06-01, 03:20 PM
...Without combat metaphors. Is how I handle it.

That was actually an acronym, not a metaphor. :smallwink:

CyberThread
2013-06-01, 05:00 PM
alright thank you.

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-01, 05:31 PM
Call sex sex, for crap's sake. How old do you think we are, six?

Just have it be implied, skip to waking up in a bed tastefully covered by sheets, ya know the stuff they do on television.

CyberThread
2013-06-01, 06:07 PM
Call sex sex, for crap's sake. How old do you think we are, six?

Just have it be implied, skip to waking up in a bed tastefully covered by sheets, ya know the stuff they do on television.

I think you has not, read the post and only the title . lol

Callin
2013-06-01, 06:09 PM
I still honestly have no figgen clue as to what this thread is about.

Marnath
2013-06-01, 06:15 PM
I have no idea what you just asked.

I still honestly have no figgen clue as to what this thread is about.

Glimbur and I do. :smallwink:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-01, 06:18 PM
The same way they handle it in most video games. The characters enter the room and then it fades to black as your refocus your attention on your other players for a bit.

Then they wake up an feel an itching/burning sensation.

Marnath
2013-06-01, 06:22 PM
Ok, seriously people. The OP is not about sex in any way, shape or form. It is about combat awareness and noticing your enemy. CyberDrag's English isn't that bad, you guys.:smallannoyed:

Xelbiuj
2013-06-01, 06:33 PM
Utterly out of the question.

If you want to rp sex (or rp drow how 90% of non-Drizzt clones do) then just ****ing buy leathers, chains, whips, etc. and have an orgy with your group or join a sex club.
Don't waste people's time with it in game. :\

INoKnowNames
2013-06-01, 07:09 PM
This thread is hilarious just because of the number of people that didn't actually read the op post.

First of all, you know you can color the part you wanted blue, right? 'cause, like, that's totally a thing.

Second of all, D&D isn't very big on this sorta thing. There are variant rules for facing directions and such, but otherwise, unless your foe is using various concealment abilities or skills, you see everything in your range of vision around you.

At least, that's how I've been doing.

Raven777
2013-06-01, 08:24 PM
Due to magically and psionically enhanced evolution (a.k.a. a wizard did it), your character's field of vision actually looks like it was fifty feet above the battlefield, looking down, like everyone was some kind of miniature on a paper grid...

danzibr
2013-06-01, 08:37 PM
I find the Xtraletter comical :P. But shouldn't it be S.E.X.A.?

Anyway, field of vision is tricky. You're like always facing all ways at once in DnD. I suppose you could have them designate a direction and make them be unable to see anything behind.

Sylthia
2013-06-01, 10:52 PM
Move Silently/Stealth roll vs Spot/Listen/Perception

Ashtagon
2013-06-02, 12:33 AM
Ok, seriously people. The OP is not about sex in any way, shape or form. It is about combat awareness and noticing your enemy. CyberDrag's English isn't that bad, you guys.:smallannoyed:

I did figure out it wasn't about sex. But I couldn't see what it WAS about :smallconfused:

Sylthia
2013-06-02, 01:03 AM
I did figure out it wasn't about sex. But I couldn't see what it WAS about :smallconfused:

Don't feel bad, I had to read it a few times, too.

Regitnui
2013-06-02, 01:58 AM
I assume that turning to face something is a free action, done as part of casting the spell/making an attack/aiming a bow/Dexterity-checks while stripping.

As for the other possible topic: With as much subtlety as possible. I have a couple playing a couple, and most of the rest of the party are singles.

Coidzor
2013-06-02, 02:05 AM

Well, he did phrase the thread title so he'd get a lot of people coming in for a reason other than what he actually wanted discussed.

Gonna generate a bit of noise, especially when it involves something as inflammatory as sex in gaming.

Andezzar
2013-06-02, 02:07 AM
Move Silently/Stealth roll vs Spot/Listen/PerceptionYup, with a circumstance penalty for the spotting/listening side. Sleeping (as in not being awake) is -10 so it should be a bit less.

killem2
2013-06-02, 11:18 AM

Instead of following 99% of other thread creation protocol, they thought it would be clever to troll everyone.

You are correct, their English isn't bad, their internet etiquette is.

Marnath
2013-06-02, 11:53 AM
Well, he did phrase the thread title so he'd get a lot of people coming in for a reason other than what he actually wanted discussed.

Gonna generate a bit of noise, especially when it involves something as inflammatory as sex in gaming.

You know, I thought it would be about sex too from the title. After reading the OP I knew it clearly wasn't. I don't understand the confusion.

Siosilvar
2013-06-02, 11:57 AM
To either question this could be, just don't. D&D is not equipped to deal with these things.

Andezzar
2013-06-02, 12:06 PM
Move Silently/Stealth roll vs Spot/Listen/Perception
Yup, with a circumstance penalty for the spotting/listening side. Sleeping (as in not being awake) is -10 so it should be a bit less.

I don't know, this looks pretty much like the game is equipped to handle noticing approaching enemies while performing a distracting act.

As to how detailed you make the account of the distracting act depends on what any group is comfortable with.

P.S. the OP is hard to read.

CyberThread
2013-06-02, 12:24 PM
Instead of following 99% of other thread creation protocol, they thought it would be clever to troll everyone.

You are correct, their English isn't bad, their internet etiquette is.

The internet is about being half to clever, at the same time revealing those that don't read things.

Anyways, the consensus has been reached, D&D is not meant to handle it, but you can pseudo it , with hide/spot checks.

Rhynn
2013-06-02, 12:27 PM
Anyways, the conscientious has been reached, D&D is not meant to handle it, but you can presage it , with hide/spot checks.

Are... are you one of those spambots? They're English words, but they mean nothing! :smalleek:

CyberThread
2013-06-02, 12:36 PM
sorry didint have my glasses on when I did spell check .

Raven777
2013-06-02, 12:53 PM
sorry didint have my glasses on when I did spell check .

Of course you didn't. Beholders use a monocle.

CyberThread
2013-06-02, 01:04 PM
Actually if you look properly, i have visual dyslexia and two lazy eyes.

INoKnowNames
2013-06-02, 01:08 PM
[Bad Joke]What an eyesore! [/Baddum Tish]

Why would you be interested in S.E.X.A in D&D? I'm personally curious about it because I'm a game nerd and that would make it a bit more complicated yet more game-y, but any special reason you asked?

CyberThread
2013-06-02, 01:15 PM
I come from text based gaming, which includes line of sight and such, so I always thought that, being able to see everything around you, was sort of god modding.

Mr.Sandman
2013-06-02, 05:22 PM
Being able to see all around you in a single instant would be, but I can view my entire surroundings in much less time than a round takes. Everyone is, especially in dangerous situations like combat, automatically taking in as much of their environment as possible thanks to mental holdovers from our hunter/gatherer days when we had to escape danger and take note of other dangers in our surroundings.

CyberThread
2013-06-03, 12:10 PM
Yes, which seems to be the general agreement.

Studoku
2013-06-03, 12:21 PM
I didn't see it mentioned (though it may have gotten lost in the spaminess of the first page)- UA has variant rules that add facing which can be found on the SRD.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm

Selenir
2013-06-03, 12:29 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/words_that_end_in_gry.png

This is all I have to say. Your thread has an unclever title which serves to intentionally mislead readers, and then your initial post rambles and only serves to further convince readers that you have no clue what you're talking about.

CyberThread
2013-06-03, 01:13 PM
Then let the thread sink already, if such a big issue with you?

The question has been answered and solved, the only thing your feeding is yourself .

Marnath
2013-06-03, 01:38 PM
I didn't see it mentioned (though it may have gotten lost in the spaminess of the first page)- UA has variant rules that add facing which can be found on the SRD.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm

I mentioned it in the very first reply, although I did not link to it.

INoKnowNames
2013-06-03, 01:58 PM
I come from text based gaming, which includes line of sight and such, so I always thought that, being able to see everything around you, was sort of god modding.

I feel like, since I've never actually played a text based adventure (the age of such games were before my time), that this would be a bit harder on players, though doable... though, actually, I wonder about this sort of thing being forced on casters as a way to help nerf them a little...

Eh, overall, while it's something I'd personally like to dabble in, I feel like it complicates the game more than it innovates, and innovation for innovation's sake at the expense of quality and ease is a trade I am hesitant to make.

Being able to see all around you in a single instant would be, but I can view my entire surroundings in much less time than a round takes. Everyone is, especially in dangerous situations like combat, automatically taking in as much of their environment as possible thanks to mental holdovers from our hunter/gatherer days when we had to escape danger and take note of other dangers in our surroundings.

.... 6 seconds to see everything that everyone around you is doing while acting in that time yourself? I realize how long a second is, but your perception and memory skills must be incredible!

...or a round seems like it is much longer than it is listed as. Take 10 people at about level 15 fighting each other; between full attacks, attacks of opportunity, and other special abilities, all of this occurring in the same 6 second time frame as 2 commoners punching each other in the face seems silly.