PDA

View Full Version : How much of a WIP handbook should you have done before posting it?

danzibr
2013-06-01, 01:16 PM
I'm writing a handbook at the moment. I'm well aware that I'm not fully qualified to fully write any handbook, but the playground is. I will certainly need help to finish it so it will be impossible to simply begin with the final product, but at the same time I don't want it to be considered too sparse.

I know the playgrounders are in general very helpful, but I don't want to make a faux pas.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-01, 01:22 PM
What kind of handbook?

Man on Fire
2013-06-01, 01:28 PM
From what I seen people post handbooks in parts and incorporate the feedback they get in response to already posted stuff.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-01, 01:32 PM
Have the basic outline put together so that as additions come in you know just where to put them and more importantly, so you have an idea of how many posts to reserve up-front. Other than that, I see lots of handbooks start as bare-bones projects and go from there.

Amnestic
2013-06-01, 02:00 PM
Were I to write a handbook (please no) I wouldn't feel comfortable posting anything in public until I had a decent framework to go with. Feedback would help flesh it out, but I'd need to feel confident that at least the starter bit could stand up to most scrutiny.

A decent position would be to read it over and think "If this were someone else's handbook, would I be satisfied with how much is there, or would it need more?"

Curmudgeon
2013-06-01, 02:13 PM
My take is that you should feel you're 90% done when you first post. With feedback, it will turn out that you're actually no more than 2/3 complete; the Playground will show you the error of your ways. So if you don't think you're sufficiently close to a finished handbook, do some more research and hold off on posting. The more time you spend on anything, the more likely your reward will be thanks rather than embarrassment.

danzibr
2013-06-01, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. It's a Totemist handbook btw. I don't find Sinfire Titan's sufficient and the other one is nowhere near complete.

Table of contents:

1: Introduction
2: General Incarnum Information
3: Totemist Overview
4: Soulmelds
5: Critique of Soulmelds
6: Races
7: Feats
8: Equipment
9: Multiclassing
10: Prestige Classes
11: Sample Builds

I have 1-4 done, a bit on the rest. I only have 1 detailed build at the moment. Probably in the next couple days I'll get my 11 reserved posts up. Am I missing anything obvious?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-01, 06:19 PM
Probably in the next couple days I'll get my 11 reserved posts up. Am I missing anything obvious?

Yes. Namely that 11 reserved posts is excessive.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-01, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. It's a Totemist handbook btw. I don't find Sinfire Titan's sufficient and the other one is nowhere near complete.

Table of contents:

1: Introduction
2: General Incarnum Information
3: Totemist Overview
4: Soulmelds
5: Critique of Soulmelds
6: Races
7: Feats
8: Equipment
9: Multiclassing
10: Prestige Classes
11: Sample Builds

I have 1-4 done, a bit on the rest. I only have 1 detailed build at the moment. Probably in the next couple days I'll get my 11 reserved posts up. Am I missing anything obvious? You may also want to talk about key skills (and skill tricks from complete scoundrel). In addition to that, key ability scores and sample point buys.

Sample Builds and multiclassing can often wait until after feedback. The playground is often a good source for sample builds, which often incorporate multiclassing into them.

danzibr
2013-06-01, 06:31 PM
You may also want to talk about key skills (and skill tricks from complete scoundrel). In addition to that, key ability scores and sample point buys.

Sample Builds and multiclassing can often wait until after feedback. The playground is often a good source for sample builds, which often incorporate multiclassing into them.
Thanks for the response! I actually already have all that stuff planned. Like skills tricks are going in the Feat section, ability scores and point buys in Totemist Overview.

But you're totally right. What I really lack is the diverse book knowledge and playing experience. I can analyze the hell out of Totemist and their soulmelds and stuff, but I just don't know everything that's out there.

TuggyNE
2013-06-01, 07:32 PM

Given that each post can contain 50000 characters, and the presence of 1/ tags for lines and headers, this is quite true.

123456789blaaa
2013-06-01, 07:46 PM
I appreciate you wanting to make a good handbook but mulitple handbooks for the same class brews confusion. Why create a new handbook when you could just add to Sinfire Titans?

danzibr
2013-06-01, 08:19 PM
I appreciate you wanting to make a good handbook but mulitple handbooks for the same class brews confusion. Why create a new handbook when you could just add to Sinfire Titans?
As I mentioned I don't find it sufficient.

Speaking of which, what are the multiple you refer to? I already commented on Sinfire's and the only other I could find is terribly incomplete.

123456789blaaa
2013-06-01, 08:55 PM
As I mentioned I don't find it sufficient.

Speaking of which, what are the multiple you refer to? I already commented on Sinfire's and the only other I could find is terribly incomplete.

Yes I know. I'm asking why you don't ask Sinfire if you could add your stuff to his handbook.

The multiples I refer to are Sinfire's, the other one you mentioned, and the one you're thinking of creating.

danzibr
2013-06-01, 09:07 PM
Yes I know. I'm asking why you don't ask Sinfire if you could add your stuff to his handbook.

The multiples I refer to are Sinfire's, the other one you mentioned, and the one you're thinking of creating. Tha
Not only adding but I think some things in there are plain bad advice.

123456789blaaa
2013-06-01, 09:21 PM
Not only adding but I think some things in there are plain bad advice.

Like what? And why not go over to the discussion thread and say which things? After all, a handbook should help people. A handbook that gives bad advice should be corrected before it does more damage.

JusticeZero
2013-06-01, 09:37 PM
imo, you should have enough that you think you are done. i see so many guides that haven't been added to in years with gaping chapter headings and to be finished notes.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-01, 09:45 PM
Like what? And why not go over to the discussion thread and say which things? After all, a handbook should help people. A handbook that gives bad advice should be corrected before it does more damage.

So when do we go about correcting all of the Wizard handbooks that recommend specializing? :smallwink:

danzibr
2013-06-01, 09:46 PM
Totem Rager comes to mind. Also the rating system for soulmelds is bad. Too much lost information.

imo, you should have enough that you think you are done. i see so many guides that haven't been added to in years with gaping chapter headings and to be finished notes.
Fortunately I will certainly finish this one. I've never been one to finish things partway (then again, maybe everyone who starts a handbook says this).

ddude987
2013-06-02, 03:30 AM
So when do we go about correcting all of the Wizard handbooks that recommend specializing? :smallwink:

Hey treantmonk proved with math that specializing was better and he used math!

TuggyNE
2013-06-02, 06:21 AM
Hey treantmonk proved with math that specializing was better and he used math!

You can't argue with math, Tippy. Math is even more win than you are! :smalleek: Not sure if ironic.

123456789blaaa
2013-06-02, 09:38 AM

Depends on if the creators of the guides can be reached. If they can then try to convince them to change it based on logical arguments (If you can't manage to convince them they at least you tried). If they can't be reached then their is unfortunately nothing to be done.

danzibr
2013-06-02, 03:53 PM

Given that each post can contain 50000 characters, and the presence of 1/ tags for lines and headers, this is quite true.
Alright, I gave in. Down to 10. I have to admit I don't understand the code in the second quote.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-02, 03:58 PM
Alright, I gave in. Down to 10. I have to admit I don't understand the code in the second quote.

As a measure of comparison, I managed my handbook in 7 posts, and I'm super wordy. You can almost always fit multiple categories onto one post.

TuggyNE
2013-06-02, 06:13 PM

Use 1 for dividing lines, and <Header Text> for section headers. Neither is required, but they're handy.

danzibr
2013-06-02, 06:27 PM
Use 1 for dividing lines, and <Header Text> for section headers. Neither is required, but they're handy.
Ah I see. I'm using size 6 for section titles and size 4 for subsections, so to speak. I didn't know about the hr. Thanks! The hr probably won't be necessary with my format though.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-06-02, 06:58 PM
You can't argue with math, Tippy. Math is even more win than you are! :smalleek: Not sure if ironic.It really depends on the style of play. Many wizards IME use a "general loadout" of spells, don't really divine their enemies that much, and play a reactive T2 style. In this setup focused specialization is mathematically superior. But there are crazy tricks in every school, and there are paranoid wizards who figure out exactly what to prepare. It's not worth giving up whole schools for spell slots when you can usually get the job done with one. I prefer TLN's agnostic take on the issue.

OP, I agree with Curmudgeon. Get most of the way there as far as your own content, and don't trust your future self to just fill out entire sections. Many a handbook promised such things.