PDA

View Full Version : Dark Chaos Shuffling Collegiate Wizard does what exactly?

Jigokuro
2013-06-01, 01:49 PM
Collegiate Wizard gives more spells learned automatically on level up to wizards, as well as a passive +2 on Know(arcana) checks. I have this and I'm thinking of DCS it away in a level if that is possible.

See, the problem is what is lost along with the feat; obviously the +2 to skill checks goes, and at future level ups it would be 2 new spells not 4. But what of the spells already learned and in your spellbook? Can the ink just suddenly evaporate? If so, which 2 of the 4 per level would be gone? Or, would that effect of the feat be left behind after the feat is gone?

It just seems weird to me that a physical thing gained because of the feat would be able to vanish; imagine if an item you could only afford because of Mercantile Background disappeared if you retrained that. Same questions - which item?

To me, the logical thing for feats that provide an increased rate of gain of something would just revert the rate in the future, not retroactively undo gains of for no other reason than that is really hard to make work. Of course, this makes DCS even more powerful, and Lady knows we don't need that. Opinions-as-DM would be nice, but I'm more interested in a RAW ruling, if possible, as I'm working on a TO build atm where this is the least of the tricks (maybe) used.:smallwink:

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-01, 02:19 PM
You don't loose the spells written into your spell book.

Collegiate Wizard says "Each time you gain a level, you may add four spells to your spellbook without additional research."

It changes your leveling mechanic, nothing more

Just like a wizard who dies and gets resurrected (loosing a level) does not have the spells that he gained erased from his spell book (and when he re-levels he gets to pick up 2 more spells, you can actually play around with a couple of thought bottles to pick up lots of spells that way if necessary).

Jigokuro
2013-06-01, 02:26 PM
You don't loose the spells written into your spell book.

Collegiate Wizard says "Each time you gain a level, you may add four spells to your spellbook without additional research."

It changes your leveling mechanic, nothing more
Thanks. That is exactly what I thought, I just wanted some confirmation. I sometimes get blinded in the search for op and misread things in an overly helpful way.

Just like a wizard who dies and gets resurrected (loosing a level) does not have the spells that he gained erased from his spell book (and when he re-levels he gets to pick up 2 more spells, you can actually play around with a couple of thought bottles to pick up lots of spells that way if necessary).
Tippy, never stop doing what it is that you do. (which is equaling win, if anyone didn't know.)

P.S. I believe that is the first time I've said that (though I've thought it many, many times) so feel free to toss it in you sig.