PDA

View Full Version : Most Common Grouped Enemies

zerojjc
2013-06-01, 03:24 PM
I was looking to pick up some mini's and wanted to know what everyone thought was the most common grouped enemies. By grouped I mean 2 or more that you may encounter at one time, or in one room. Such as skeletons, goblins, kobolds, etc?

Slipperychicken
2013-06-01, 04:43 PM
In my experience, it's Goblins, humanoids (mostly orcs and humans), and undead.

Besides, the humanoids can be used for PC minis.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-01, 04:50 PM
We see a lot of packs of wolves, dire wolves, worgs, and that sort of thing.

ArcturusV
2013-06-01, 04:53 PM
The only ones I'd add to that list are typical "Swarm" enemies. You generally don't run into one rat. You run into a dozen rats. You don't run into one monstrous centipede, you run into 7 of them.

So humanoids of various ilks. Low level undead (Zombies, Skeletons). "Swarming" enemies like Rats, Insects, etc.

Most of it is low level stuff. If you never play encounters lower than... I dunno.. 6th level or so you're not likely to run into them. Excluding a few exceptional campaigns or stuff like Drow Raiding Parties or Githyanki Pirate Gangs.

Xervous
2013-06-01, 09:33 PM
Deer, you see one and you know there's about five more off road waiting to jump into your car, a glorious sacrifice to end their dull lives and go out with the notion that they've inflicted great suffering on another.

Seriously though, get some bats. There are tons of nasty flying little things that you can have them stand in for.

Sylthia
2013-06-01, 10:41 PM
Depending on the campaign, humanoids of any sort (plus it's nice to have a large assortment of humans, elves, dwarves, etc. for PC minis). Orcs, goblins, and kobalds for low level encounters for sure. Some sort of minis that can pass as a multitude of undead are nice. I'd take a few quadraped animals that can pass for wolves, tigers, etc.

If you are the DM, have an idea of what sort of encounters you'd like to plan and have that in mind when you go shopping.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-01, 10:57 PM
Depending on the campaign, humanoids of any sort (plus it's nice to have a large assortment of humans, elves, dwarves, etc. for PC minis).

Also can help in crowd scenes, although truly insane numbers can perhaps be represented with other (cheaper) tokens.

Sylthia
2013-06-01, 11:11 PM
Also can help in crowd scenes, although truly insane numbers can perhaps be represented with other (cheaper) tokens.

I also often use dice (like d12s) to represent large groups. It also helps for keeping track of the individual baddies' HP totals. So Orc #5 has 17HP, rather than Orc with fur scarf and 2 axes has 17HP.

JusticeZero
2013-06-01, 11:22 PM
I also often use dice.... Orc #5 has 17HP, rather than Orc with fur scarf and 2 axes has 17HP.

For mooks, I'll often let the dice count hp. All those d8s with an 8 showing? Have 8 HP.

Sylthia
2013-06-01, 11:30 PM
For mooks, I'll often let the dice count hp. All those d8s with an 8 showing? Have 8 HP.

I guess I could get some use out of my d100 with that method.

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-02, 07:41 AM

That could work at low level, but I don't necessarily want my players to know how many HP an enemy has.

nedz
2013-06-02, 08:04 AM
It depends entirely upon the campaign. There is no real answer to your question. The DM might know what he intends to use — but there again he might not have worked that out yet, and he might not want to tell you in any event.

zerojjc
2013-06-02, 06:33 PM
Thanks, you have all been very helpful. And to Xervous, that was funny about the deer :smallbiggrin: