PDA

View Full Version : B-Movie Monsters that'd be great in D&D

tbok1992
2013-06-01, 04:03 PM
Okay, so I read this article on Topless Robot (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/05/ten_most_harryhausen_dd_monsters.php) talking about how B-Movies influenced D&D. And I was thinking, what other . So this is the topic for that, posting adaptations of B-Movie monsters to a D&D-style setting.

And as an extra twist, don't tell what B-Movie monster you're basing on, but let others guess. If they guess right, confirm it. I'll start off with an easy one:

Noxious Crusaders- These humanoids have been warped by exposure to fell magics or alchemical waste into hideous mutants of superhuman size and strength. Despite their twisted appearance, these creatures are almost always Chaotic Good, and indeed one of the side-effects of their mutation is an always-on Detect Evil effect within viewing range.

If anything pings on said Detect Evil effect, they go into a state akin to Barbarian Rage and immediately attack whatever it is that triggered it, usually destroying it in the most gory way possible. Most of them tend to use simple weapons due to their common origins, leading to a bizarre number of them using household cleaning implements as armnaments.

AntiTrust
2013-06-01, 05:09 PM
The Toxic Avengers?

AntiTrust
2013-06-01, 05:30 PM
These tiny creatures weigh no more than your average housecat. Originally a docile species possessing both a quiet courage and a sense of almost child-like wonder, they have very strict dietary requirements. When these requirements are deviated from their offspring mutate into foul cruel beings bent only on chaos and mayhem. In both species exposure to intense light will kill them.

Gan The Grey
2013-06-01, 05:40 PM
These tiny creatures weigh no more than your average housecat. Originally a docile species possessing both a quiet courage and a sense of almost child-like wonder, they have very strict dietary requirements. When these requirements are deviated from their offspring mutate into foul cruel beings bent only on chaos and mayhem. In both species exposure to intense light will kill them.

Gremlins! I like this game. Although, I don't really feel comfortable placing this beloved movie of my childhood in the 'B' movie category. It just feels...wrong.

TheThan
2013-06-01, 06:23 PM
How about something the size of a battleship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcg0o7_7N8).

Angel Bob
2013-06-01, 09:04 PM
Gremlins! I like this game. Although, I don't really feel comfortable placing this beloved movie of my childhood in the 'B' movie category. It just feels...wrong.

You guys do realize that gremlins are already in D&D, right? The 4E ones are even illustrated like their film counterparts. :smalltongue:

Razanir
2013-06-01, 10:04 PM
A subrace of goblins. They are vegetarians, but have perfected a magic poison that will turn the drinker into a plant (so they can ethically eat you). Also, some people misremember them as being called trolls.

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-02, 06:36 AM
Now I wanna throw my players up against a Sharktopus! :smallamused:

I'll give cookies for stats. :smallwink:

Rhynn
2013-06-02, 06:45 AM
A subrace of goblins. They are vegetarians, but have perfected a magic poison that will turn the drinker into a plant (so they can ethically eat you). Also, some people misremember them as being called trolls.

That's because the movie is Troll 2. But, indeed, even the name of the town is Nilbog.

My turn:
A clan of cannibalistic, degenerate, possibly mutated humanoids who do horrible things to travellers.
(Yes, any of them will do...)

KillianHawkeye: AD&D 2E's Dark Sun had the squark. 3.5 stats can be found in athas.org (http://athas.org/)'s Terror's of Athas (http://athas.org/products/toa) (click "Files" at the bottom for a download link). Appropriately enough, it's a unique terror of the Last Sea, and quite possibly engineered as a war machine...

Razanir
2013-06-02, 11:21 AM
That's because the movie is Troll 2. But, indeed, even the name of the town is Nilbog.

That was the point... I was making one last joke based off the fact that not only are there no trolls in Troll 2, but never once do they even say the word "troll"

Greatest troll of a movie director there ever was...

tbok1992
2013-06-02, 08:59 PM
Stretched Men- Made from those who step into the Far Realm, these beings look like their former humanoid selves, but taller and thinner. In reality, though, they are a malign presence, inhabiting a semblance of the human that appeared into their affairs.

They are not only posessed of a hideous strength, but also control 4d6 Silver Spheres at any giventime. These spheres float through the air and, either on their own initiative or the Stretched Man's command, fly towards the enemy and unleash one a variety of horrifying weapons to maim their adversaries.

The Stretched Men also have the ability to change their shape and teleport, and whenever a limb of theirs is severed, it changes into an arthropod with stats equivalent to a Stirge and attacks anybody in the vicinity

They gather corpses and, through some ghastly, unknown procedure, change them into semisentient Small slaves, with surprising dexterity and astounding strength (Though not as astounding as the original Stretched Man), sending them off to the Far Realm (Perhaps as slaves for some ghastly patron).

They often inhabit mausoleums, taking the guise of undertakers to better access the deceased. Some have been seen inthe company of Golden Spheres, similar to but far more powerful than the Silver Spheres. In fact, some scholars have argued that the Stretched Men may be little more than GoldenS pheres using a humanoid's flesh as a meat suit.

Waker
2013-06-02, 09:45 PM
Stuff he said
If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were talking about Phantasm.

A previously unidentified species of giant, subterranean creatures has shown up recently in the area. They track prey using a highly developed tremorsense and possess a surprising cunning. When attacking, they partially emerge from the ground to grapple their target, engulf them and re-submerge. The creature's greatest weakness is a susceptibility to extreme noise.

tbok1992
2013-06-02, 11:07 PM
If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were talking about Phantasm.

A previously unidentified species of giant, subterranean creatures has shown up recently in the area. They track prey using a highly developed tremorsense and possess a surprising cunning. When attacking, they partially emerge from the ground to grapple their target, engulf them and re-submerge. The creature's greatest weakness is a susceptibility to extreme noise.

I indeed was talking about The Tall Man from Phantasm my good sir! And you were talking about the Graboids if I am not mistaken.

Kelvin360
2013-06-02, 11:58 PM
My turn:
A clan of cannibalistic, degenerate, possibly mutated humanoids who do horrible things to travellers.
(Yes, any of them will do...)

Why, I'd almost think you were talking about Reavers, but that would imply that Serenity is a B movie!

Hmm... Ah! Okay. A race of orc-like humanoids whose culture thrives on warfare and a semi-patriarchal meritocracy in that traditionally the strongest lead, they also possess horns for use in ceremonial battles in which they ram into each other. However, they come in two 'breeds', one of which is commonly known as simply a larger version of the other.

(And yes, this movie was B. I'd venture the book was not, but the movie was B, if not worse.)

tbok1992
2013-06-03, 12:46 AM
Urgals from Eragon?

And I'm pretty sure the Inheritance Trilogy Cycle was the literary equivalent of one of those terrible Hollywood films that spend money on everything but the script (IE Van Helsing, Jack The Giant Slayer, the Transformers films) than a B-movie. God those books had THE most obnoxious elves ever.

Rhynn
2013-06-03, 01:06 AM
Why, I'd almost think you were talking about Reavers, but that would imply that Serenity is a B movie!

:smalleek:

Really?

The Hills Have Eyes, but also the X-Files episode Home, and like a million other slasher movies, etc.

Krazzman
2013-06-03, 03:51 AM
Ok... I hope this is a B-Movie...

This Creature has a Wing-Span of a Schoolbus and preys on Humanoid-Bodyparts which it implements into itself to regenerate. It hunts via Smell for there parts and plays with its prey as it likes their terrified state. However it only has a short timeframe for Hunting as it has to sleep for about a decade.
There appear to be two versions, one more humanoid and one seeming more demonic.

Waker
2013-06-03, 07:16 AM
Ok... I hope this is a B-Movie...

This Creature has a Wing-Span of a Schoolbus and preys on Humanoid-Bodyparts which it implements into itself to regenerate. It hunts via Smell for there parts and plays with its prey as it likes their terrified state. However it only has a short timeframe for Hunting as it has to sleep for about a decade.
There appear to be two versions, one more humanoid and one seeming more demonic.
I hope the Jeeper's Creeper's doesn't get me, cause that movie was terrible.

It would be advisable to avoid taking the any treasure belonging to this devilish fairy. Should you do so, you may inadvertently spawn a whole slew of sequels.

Krazzman
2013-06-03, 08:14 AM
I hope the Jeeper's Creeper's doesn't get me, cause that movie was terrible.

It would be advisable to avoid taking the any treasure belonging to this devilish fairy. Should you do so, you may inadvertently spawn a whole slew of sequels.

Hah, I liked the second movie... but only because of his bone-shuriken.

TuggyNE
2013-06-03, 06:17 PM
Hah, I liked the second movie... but only because of his bone-shuriken.

I don't know which movie this is, but "bone shuriken" just screams B-movie to me. :smalltongue:

Asmodai
2013-06-03, 09:07 PM
I love plundering B movies for monsters, and the occasional plot. They can be a goldmine. I think I rehashed Tremors for about four different games by now :)

Tvtyrant
2013-06-03, 11:01 PM
Gamera! The giant flying turtle that defeated its greatest enemy by sitting on it and drowning it :smallamused:

tbok1992
2013-06-05, 05:40 PM
Gamera! The giant flying turtle that defeated its greatest enemy by sitting on it and drowning it :smallamused:

D&D already has that. Look up the Orcish Gammaroids from Spelljammer. Which also has the Guyver (Known as the Bionoid in-setting) as an Elvish bioweapon BTW.

Also, here's two more, one new, one an obscure version of an old monster:

These predatory avians have been malignly affected by some creeping metaphysical taint altering the world's climate. Their minds have been twisted towards the pursuit of constant violence towards the sentient races, helped by the fact that not only have their bodily fluids (Which they can disgorge every 1d4 turns) turned flesh-corrodingly acidic, but also highly explosive upon high-speed impact with a solid surface.

Their prescence is marked by a loud and obnoxious screeching, and for some inexplicable reason they are terrified of wire clothes hangers,which cause them to retreat as a Vamprie confronted with a holy symbol.

-
These giant apes are notable not just for their relatively increased size compared to typical examples of giant apes but also for their properties in relation to lightning. For, when struck by a stray bolt, it not only heals all daamge that they may have taken, but also unlocks a long-dormant bioelectric capacity in the beast, allowing the creature to generate deadly bolts of lightning for 24 hours.

For reasons unknown, this race of giant apes has a virulent enmity towards all Reptilian Gargantua, particularly the rare Breath Weapon-posessing variety.

Razanir
2013-06-05, 05:54 PM
A psionic animated tire named Robert

UserShadow7989
2013-06-08, 07:56 PM
These predatory avians have been malignly affected by some creeping metaphysical taint altering the world's climate. Their minds have been twisted towards the pursuit of constant violence towards the sentient races, helped by the fact that not only have their bodily fluids (Which they can disgorge every 1d4 turns) turned flesh-corrodingly acidic, but also highly explosive upon high-speed impact with a solid surface.

Their prescence is marked by a loud and obnoxious screeching, and for some inexplicable reason they are terrified of wire clothes hangers,which cause them to retreat as a Vamprie confronted with a holy symbol.

Birdemic! Man, that movie was horrible.

These giant apes are notable not just for their relatively increased size compared to typical examples of giant apes but also for their properties in relation to lightning. For, when struck by a stray bolt, it not only heals all daamge that they may have taken, but also unlocks a long-dormant bioelectric capacity in the beast, allowing the creature to generate deadly bolts of lightning for 24 hours.

For reasons unknown, this race of giant apes has a virulent enmity towards all Reptilian Gargantua, particularly the rare Breath Weapon-posessing variety.

I need to watch more Godzilla flicks someday. It sounds like a gold mine.

My own try at this:

A shapeshifting creature that sometimes takes the form of a colorful jester. It is able to sense its prey's greatest fears and pick at them mockingly or through use of its abilities to create illusions and take on different appearances, and can only gain sustenance from frightened victims.

Its true form is either that of a giant spider with hardened shell and glowing underbelly, or a series of ethereal lights it can use to savage the sanity of those that look into it.

I hear the book was vastly better than the miniseries, which seems to be the norm for that author's work.

Cerlis
2013-06-08, 08:20 PM
I wanted to win the thread by being the first one to say "Godzilla" (seriously he's like 5 times taller than the tarrasque i think. the fact that you can SEE a human standing next to the Tarrasque shows just how small it is)

but i'll settle for suggesting "Godzilla" the series. the new one based on American Godzilla. Naturally every episode has a new monster. The interesting thing is that many of these monsters are much smaller. One is even about the size of a horse. However its a fire controller that feeds off petroleum and...Fire....Many monsters in the show aren't radioactive mutations, but mutated from other things, or have alien origins. and everything is based off pseusdo-science.

The Giant shrew that was biologically fused with a tornado was pretty neat.

Bhu
2013-06-08, 11:22 PM
I'm amazed no ones adapted Sharknado to dnd

Rhynn
2013-06-08, 11:36 PM
I'm amazed no ones adapted Sharknado to dnd

"Air shark" added to my list of AD&D/ACKS Dark Sun monsters, they will have an organization of "solitary/tornado (5%)".

Edit: Okay, statted them up for AD&D and ACKS.

AD&D Version
AIR SHARK
{TABLE]CLIMATE/TERRAIN:|Sea of Silt
FREQUENCY:|Very rare
ORGANIZATION:|Solitary or tornado
ACTIVITY CYCLE:|Any
DIET:|Carnivorous
INTELLIGENCE:|Semi- (2)
TREASURE:|Nil
ALIGNMENT:|Neutral
|
NO. APPEARING:|1 (5% of 4–16)
ARMOR CLASS:|2
MOVEMENT:|Fly 18 (B)
HIT DICE:|9
THAC0:|11
NO. OF ATTACKS:|1
DAMAGE/ATTACK:|2d8
SPECIAL ATTACKS:|Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES:|Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE:|Nil
SIZE:|H (20' long)
MORALE:|Elite (13)
XP VALUE:|1,400[/TABLE]

ACKS Version
AIR SHARK (Fantastic Creature)
{TABLE]% in Lair:|None
Dungeon Enc:|None
Wilderness Enc:|Solitary (1) / Tornado (4d4)
Alignment:|Neutral
Movement:|—
...Fly:|180' (60')
Armor Class:|7
Hit Dice:|9**
Attacks:|1 (bite)
Damage:|2d10
Save: |F4
Morale:|+4
Treasure Type:|None
XP:|1,300[/TABLE]

Air sharks are bizarre monsters that somewhat resemble the squark of legend. They are encountered flying above the Sea of Silt, drifting lazily until they spot prey, at which point they "swim" through the air with terrifying speed to take a bite, circle around, and attack again. Sometimes, they are encountered in "tornadoes" — a school of air sharks whirling around in a maelstrom of silt and dust. Because of the dust, the phenomenon is usually mistaken for a normal sandstorm or whirlwind, until it is upon the hapless victims and enormous sharks are taking bites out of them.

Next up, the Air Whales, who float majestically through the troposphere, swallowing the occasional roc as they sift the air for nutrients.

AntiTrust
2013-06-09, 12:04 AM
A shapeshifting creature that sometimes takes the form of a colorful jester. It is able to sense its prey's greatest fears and pick at them mockingly or through use of its abilities to create illusions and take on different appearances, and can only gain sustenance from frightened victims.

Its true form is either that of a giant spider with hardened shell and glowing underbelly, or a series of ethereal lights it can use to savage the sanity of those that look into it.

I hear the book was vastly better than the miniseries, which seems to be the norm for that author's work.

Would that be Pennywise from Steven Kings IT?

Rhynn
2013-06-09, 12:09 AM
Completely missed this...

Yes, both in the specific and general sense, although the book has a really freaking weird conclusion that would never make it into a film, even today. I don't mean Takashi Miike weird, I mean... just no way.

Stephen King's early work largely doesn't have the power of his later work, though, IMO; his thing is his ability to put words together, and that only shines later on (90s and onwards, I'd say).

Tvtyrant
2013-06-09, 01:45 AM
I wanted to win the thread by being the first one to say "Godzilla" (seriously he's like 5 times taller than the tarrasque i think. the fact that you can SEE a human standing next to the Tarrasque shows just how small it is)

but i'll settle for suggesting "Godzilla" the series. the new one based on American Godzilla. Naturally every episode has a new monster. The interesting thing is that many of these monsters are much smaller. One is even about the size of a horse. However its a fire controller that feeds off petroleum and...Fire....Many monsters in the show aren't radioactive mutations, but mutated from other things, or have alien origins. and everything is based off pseusdo-science.

The Giant shrew that was biologically fused with a tornado was pretty neat.

I don't know about not being able to see it at all... Screen strechy picture. http://killallmonsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/monstersize.jpg

UserShadow7989
2013-06-09, 02:06 AM

Yup!

In fact, the televised miniseries versions of a lot of his stuff would probably work for D&D encounters to an extent.

Yes, both in the specific and general sense, although the book has a really freaking weird conclusion that would never make it into a film, even today. I don't mean Takashi Miike weird, I mean... just no way.

Stephen King's early work largely doesn't have the power of his later work, though, IMO; his thing is his ability to put words together, and that only shines later on (90s and onwards, I'd say).

I'd heard some bits and pieces about what happens in the book, and I can see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind whenever I finally get around to looking up some of his stuff.

Rhynn
2013-06-09, 04:22 AM
I'd heard some bits and pieces about what happens in the book, and I can see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind whenever I finally get around to looking up some of his stuff.

I'd recommend It, Pet Sematary (a book about death with a bit of horror on top), Desperation, and pretty much any collection of short stories (especially Everything's Eventual).

Speaking of, Tak would make a great monster-villain, or even a Ravenloft-style mini-domain darklord, and the film version of Desperation is definitely a B-movie. Just not the Regulators version...

Bhu
2013-06-10, 02:41 PM
http://www.merzo.net/

CLick on 100x, 10x, and scroll to the bottom of 1x for some common movie monster comparisons. There's critters scattered throughout in the other sections, but it's mostly ships.

There's also some B monsters in my cinematica thread here:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=909.0

I'm always looking for ideas for critters to add.

Axinian
2013-06-10, 04:47 PM

With at-will Hideous Laughter, because the party won't be able to stop laughing at how un-scary he is! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr32uXnxM24)

THEN YOU BETTER LET THE POOR GUY OUT! BUHA! BUHA!

tbok1992
2013-06-15, 03:08 PM
Here's another one for a film that just came out recently:

The eggs of these creatures masquerade as a narcotic known as Soy Sauce; allowing those who use it to see alternate possibilities before they happen (Mechanically allowing them to make 2 die rolls for any roll they make and use the better of the two); but the user becomes visible and vulnerable to any and all creatures of the Astral Plane while the drug is in use; and each time it is used there is a five percent cumulative chance of the eggs hatching (Though one in a hundred individuals do not have this chance and may keep using Soy Sauce with out the eggs hatching).

When the eggs hatch, the character is possessed by the hatched creatures (Who look like white; rod-shaped flies) and bent to their will. Any player character posessed by these creatures is turned over to the DM; no save. Not only do the Posessed creatures retain all class skills and abilities; but they also gain Regeneration. If by some means their host body is destroyed; the creatures will escape and attempt to possess the nearest person in the visinity (Though said person may make a reflex save to avoid this). They take damage as a swarm (IE; take half damage from all but area attacks); but are thankfully have very low HP.

There are several examples of these creatures spreading via the drug's influence; with one infamous example being known as "#$&%load" because; to quote; "There's a #$%&load of us in here." It is also said that this creature may be the work of an Elder Evil who has spread his consciousness across the multiverse; though reports of the Elder Evil have shown him to have a surprisingly juvenile; puerile and petty mindset.

ShadowFireLance
2013-06-15, 05:22 PM
I don't know about not being able to see it at all... Screen strechy picture. http://killallmonsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/monstersize.jpg

.....This entire thing is screwed up, Godzilla is over 300ft tall, not 100 something.
King Ghidorah is one of the few monsters bigger then him, so I get that, but Clover is a lot smaller then Godzilla (Real one, not American fail)

Mutazoia
2013-06-15, 05:42 PM
Honestly...I'm having more trouble thinking of a B-movie monster that HASN'T made it's way into D&D at some point or other. So far all I can think of are the Tomatoe's from Attack of the Killer Tomatoe's (http://www.killertomatoes.com/main.asp)

Edit: Ok...the mosters from tremors haven't made it in yet either.

Bulhakov
2013-06-15, 05:57 PM
Here's another one for a film that just came out recently:

The eggs of these creatures masquerade as a narcotic known as Soy Sauce; allowing those who use it to see alternate possibilities before they happen (Mechanically allowing them to make 2 die rolls for any roll they make and use the better of the two); but the user becomes visible and vulnerable to any and all creatures of the Astral Plane while the drug is in use; and each time it is used there is a five percent cumulative chance of the eggs hatching (Though one in a hundred individuals do not have this chance and may keep using Soy Sauce with out the eggs hatching).

When the eggs hatch, the character is possessed by the hatched creatures (Who look like white; rod-shaped flies) and bent to their will. Any player character posessed by these creatures is turned over to the DM; no save. Not only do the Posessed creatures retain all class skills and abilities; but they also gain Regeneration. If by some means their host body is destroyed; the creatures will escape and attempt to possess the nearest person in the visinity (Though said person may make a reflex save to avoid this). They take damage as a swarm (IE; take half damage from all but area attacks); but are thankfully have very low HP.

There are several examples of these creatures spreading via the drug's influence; with one infamous example being known as "#$&%load" because; to quote; "There's a #$%&load of us in here." It is also said that this creature may be the work of an Elder Evil who has spread his consciousness across the multiverse; though reports of the Elder Evil have shown him to have a surprisingly juvenile; puerile and petty mindset.

"John Dies at the End" , though I liked the book better ;)

My turn:
Small furry creatures with huge mouths and tiny limbs that roll up into a ball for faster travel. They can shoot tiny poisoned spines to paralyze prey. They have insatiable appetites and breed like rabbits (though they hatch from eggs).

Mutazoia
2013-06-15, 08:26 PM
"John Dies at the End" , though I liked the book better ;)

My turn:
Small furry creatures with huge mouths and tiny limbs that roll up into a ball for faster travel. They can shoot tiny poisoned spines to paralyze prey. They have insatiable appetites and breed like rabbits (though they hatch from eggs).

You know...until now I've managed to go YEARS with out thinking about Critters (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090887/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). Thank you :smallannoyed: lol

Bhu
2013-06-16, 02:24 PM
.....This entire thing is screwed up, Godzilla is over 300ft tall, not 100 something.
King Ghidorah is one of the few monsters bigger then him, so I get that, but Clover is a lot smaller then Godzilla (Real one, not American fail)

It depends on which version of Godzilla they're using.

http://www.historyvortex.org/HowBigGodzilla.html

ShadowFireLance
2013-06-16, 05:21 PM
It depends on which version of Godzilla they're using.

http://www.historyvortex.org/HowBigGodzilla.html

Naturally, But still, 100ft is way to small. 267 is much closer to normal size and much better. :smallannoyed:
*Rabid Godzilla fan*

CowardlyPaladin
2013-06-17, 01:42 PM
I'm curious, could anybody tell me what B-movies these are just because I'd like to watch some.

Waker
2013-06-17, 04:12 PM
I'm curious, could anybody tell me what B-movies these are just because I'd like to watch some.

B movie generally refers to lower budget movies. Though not exclusively, many B movies tend to come from the horror genre (at least the ones I love). One of the most iconic examples would be the Evil Dead franchise.

Hyena
2013-06-17, 04:15 PM
It's two pages already and nobody mentioned the the eye creatures yet?

CowardlyPaladin
2013-06-17, 04:29 PM
B movie generally refers to lower budget movies. Though not exclusively, many B movies tend to come from the horror genre (at least the ones I love). One of the most iconic examples would be the Evil Dead franchise.

No I meant specific movies so I can watch them. I want to see Evil Dead, but what else is there? Jason and the Argonauts, and Adventures of Sinbad? Which ones are at least entertaining?

Mutazoia
2013-06-17, 06:28 PM
No I meant specific movies so I can watch them. I want to see Evil Dead, but what else is there? Jason and the Argonauts, and Adventures of Sinbad? Which ones are at least entertaining?

OH...if you want a list of entertaining B movies...that's a centaur of a different color:

The Blob
Attack of the 50 ft woman
Arachnia queen of the spider people
Toxic Avenger
Swamp Thing
Creature from the Black Lagoon
The mummy (the original)
The Thing (the original)
The fly (the original)
Creep Show
They Live (one of my favs)
Forbidden world (aka the mutant)
Tremmors
Critters
The golden voyage of Sinbad
Jason and the Argonauts
Hawk the slayer
Sword and the Sorceror
Archer: Fugitive From the Empire
Barbarian
Wolfhound (russian made but a damned good movie right up until the last boss fight)
Barbarian Queen

I could go on but that should give you a good start.

tbok1992
2013-06-18, 02:33 PM

Ah. Well, I adore a good B-movie, so heres' a few I like that weren't mentioned before:

Phantasm
Death Wish 3
The Deadly Spawn
Dead Alive
House
Sleepaway Camp
From Beyond
Birdemic (If you're into So Bad Its Good)
Ator: The Fighting Eagle
Drive Angry (Technically an A-Movie; but has a very B-movie style)
John Dies at the End
The Last Dragon (SHO NUFF!)
No Holds Barred
Switchblade Sisters
Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil's Son in Law.

And that's all I can think of for now.

Rhynn
2013-06-18, 02:46 PM
You fools, you have forgotten Krull (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_%28film%29)!!!

Lapak
2013-06-18, 02:52 PM
With at-will Hideous Laughter, because the party won't be able to stop laughing at how un-scary he is! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr32uXnxM24)

THEN YOU BETTER LET THE POOR GUY OUT! BUHA! BUHA!The book version was both pretty damn scary and had one of the most effective attack/defense mechanisms of a fictional monster ever:

People who weren't predisposed to believe in It couldn't perceive It OR anything it did. A kid who believed in monsters could see it drag someone into the sewer and the adults around would only see what they could re-contextualize as reasonable; a kid could be covered in blood in a room that has the stuff spattered all over the walls and an adult wouldn't notice anything wrong. Even people directly affected or brought under its influence plain forget the details and block out the whole experience.

Which is to say, only the people most vulnerable to It can so much as notice that It's there, and trying to get help is no help at all.

(Moderate ending spoilers, in case you're planning to read it)
Now, this belief-based protection also turns out to be a weakness of sorts, as the same sort of childish logic/faith can be turned against it in a 'if you believe that keeping your hands and feet under the blanket keeps you safe, it does' kind of way and even in the form of a direct assault - an attack that you honestly believe will hurt It, despite its apparent omnipotence and in the context of knowing that it really is a nigh-invulnerable supernatural horror, is the only thing that might actually do so.

Axinian
2013-06-18, 03:54 PM
The book version was both pretty damn scary and had one of the most effective attack/defense mechanisms of a fictional monster ever:

People who weren't predisposed to believe in It couldn't perceive It OR anything it did. A kid who believed in monsters could see it drag someone into the sewer and the adults around would only see what they could re-contextualize as reasonable; a kid could be covered in blood in a room that has the stuff spattered all over the walls and an adult wouldn't notice anything wrong. Even people directly affected or brought under its influence plain forget the details and block out the whole experience.

Which is to say, only the people most vulnerable to It can so much as notice that It's there, and trying to get help is no help at all.

(Moderate ending spoilers, in case you're planning to read it)
Now, this belief-based protection also turns out to be a weakness of sorts, as the same sort of childish logic/faith can be turned against it in a 'if you believe that keeping your hands and feet under the blanket keeps you safe, it does' kind of way and even in the form of a direct assault - an attack that you honestly believe will hurt It, despite its apparent omnipotence and in the context of knowing that it really is a nigh-invulnerable supernatural horror, is the only thing that might actually do so.

I'm aware of how it is in the book, and that it was much better than the mini-series.

I just can't resist a chance to use that clip.

tbok1992
2013-06-18, 04:06 PM
And here's another one!

These undead are created by tainted alchemical fluids coming into contact with humans or human corpses; the chemicals usually being released via gaseous vapors but sometimes via other methods as well. They not only retain all intelligence and mobility from their human lives; but also remain alive no matter how much damage they take; severed parts still moving in the same manner as a troll.

They have a ferocious compulsion for the brains of the living; which scholars have found to temporarily reduce the pain from this state of living undeath via conversations with the few of these creatures still lucid enough to speak. Electrocution is the only known foolproof way of dispatching them.

While these creatures can be dispatched via fire; doing so is ill-advised. For; when burnt these creatures disperse fumes of the alchemical substance that created them; which disperses in the atmosphere and fall as rain over 1d4 square miles per creature immolated. This rain causes all caught within it; living or dead; to become more of these creatures.

Scrapheap
2013-06-18, 08:48 PM
Return of the Living Dead
Crackpot Inventor makes a device to miniaturize items, only to have it go awry and reduce his children.

Mutazoia
2013-06-18, 09:07 PM
Return of the Living Dead
Crackpot Inventor makes a device to miniaturize items, only to have it go awry and reduce his children.

Actually if you want to stick with the B movie theme...go for Dr. Shrinker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Shrinker)

tbok1992
2013-06-18, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure that counts as a B-Movie monster, given that it was a TV show. Though; if we're talking about Sid and Marty Kroft monsters; the hats from Lidsville should be Constructs and the characters of Living Island from H&R Pufinstuff should be Fae. Or; if I had my druthers; they both could be horrible aberrant abominations Far Realm; given how terrifying most people found them.

But then again; I would make my revival of Lidsville a horror series; so take that as you will.

Also; back on the topic of B-Movies; Sho-Nuff. Great evil Monk of film or the Greatest evil Monk of film?

Mutazoia
2013-06-19, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure that counts as a B-Movie monster, given that it was a TV show. Though; if we're talking about Sid and Marty Kroft monsters; the hats from Lidsville should be Constructs and the characters of Living Island from H&R Pufinstuff should be Fae. Or; if I had my druthers; they both could be horrible aberrant abominations Far Realm; given how terrifying most people found them.

But then again; I would make my revival of Lidsville a horror series; so take that as you will.

Also; back on the topic of B-Movies; Sho-Nuff. Great evil Monk of film or the Greatest evil Monk of film?

Yes I lised Dr. Shrinker because it was definitely the style and budget of a B move despite being a TV show. It was more "B Movie" than "Honey I shrunk the Kids"

tbok1992
2013-06-26, 08:22 PM
Also, here's another for one I just saw, which is pretty obscure, and not quite a monster (Though I still think it sorta counts):

-This high CR devil uses a unique method of conquest; creating cults of personality around various bards it controls, and using them to slowly but surely undermine the various governments in the region, culminating with forcing all citizens in the region to wear a shining glyph-covered triangle known as a "BIM-mark" and forcing all citizens to recite a song from his bards every day at a certain hour as a method of creating a charm person-like effect on the entire region.

Any Bard who it offers to sign under its employ must make a Will save. If he makes the save, he sees the devil in in its true form, which has been described as "Trashy disco Asmodeus" by those who have seen it.

Mutazoia
2013-06-26, 10:11 PM
bards tit controls

Bard's have Control tit!?!? What about tat control?

tbok1992
2013-06-27, 12:39 AM
Whoops, my mistake!

Elm11
2013-06-27, 01:48 AM
How about something the size of a battleship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcg0o7_7N8).

I saw that link, immediately thinking "It's like shooting a flying battleship with a slingshot!", crossing my fingers that it'd be The Giant Claw. I'm so happy.

OctoberRaven
2013-06-29, 03:00 AM
The monster from one of the worst movies ever made, Teenagers From Outer Space.

See how long it takes for the players to realize you're actually just describing a giant lobster.

Sebastrd
2013-07-01, 02:25 PM
I've found that the villains from the Super Sentai (Power Rangers) television programs make great villains and monsters.

Arkhosia
2013-07-02, 09:05 PM
Not a b-tv show by far, but in my opinion a b-monster
Uses strategically placed indestructible cubes to cause heart attacks, observing work via grill-mouthed minions.

tbok1992
2013-07-25, 07:28 PM
Okay, I give up. What is it? And I'm sad nobody got that I was talking about Mr. Boogalow from The Apple in my last post. God bless that stupid @#$%ing movie.

Arkhosia
2013-07-25, 07:55 PM
Okay, I give up. What is it? And I'm sad nobody got that I was talking about Mr. Boogalow from The Apple in my last post. God bless that stupid @#$%ing movie.

The antagonist from the Doctor Who episode The Power Of Three.

Narren
2013-07-25, 11:53 PM
Edit: Ok...the mosters from tremors haven't made it in yet either.

Think again! http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bulette

TuggyNE
2013-07-26, 04:02 AM
Think again! http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bulette

Close, but the lack of tentacles/tongues suggests they're more of a budget or junior version.

falloutimperial
2013-07-27, 03:40 PM
I think someone is statting it up somewhere in the playground, but here goes.

"A spinning whirlwind that is dangerous enough on its own full of dangerous aquatic creatures large enough to swallow a man whole! The winds deposit the creatures everywhere in a miles-long radius to crush and consume all!"

Mystic Muse
2013-07-27, 03:58 PM
I think someone is statting it up somewhere in the playground, but here goes.

"A spinning whirlwind that is dangerous enough on its own full of dangerous aquatic creatures large enough to swallow a man whole! The winds deposit the creatures everywhere in a miles-long radius to crush and consume all!"

Sharknado was already mentioned.:smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2013-07-27, 04:18 PM
Sharknado was already mentioned.:smalltongue:

I swear to God, if one more person mentions "Sharknado" I'm going to go Sharknado on their happy butt....

Arkhosia
2013-07-28, 02:30 AM
An enormous aquatic beast that can swallow men whole, can use it's flippers to crawl on land. Preys on people in irritating love triangles.

A enormous fish with razor sharp teeth that has a grudge with giant octupi: attacks on sight.