PDA

View Full Version : about Damage Reduction...

Kerilstrasz
2013-06-01, 04:08 PM
DR reduces the dmg you receive by a given amount and can be bypased by a certain quality (material, magic etc)...

the question is...

instead of having DR that reduces dmg from everything except 1 quality, isn't there a type of DR that gives you DR against just 1 or 2 qualities???
for example: DR5/everything except bludgeoning or DR5/everything except evocation spell's dmg..

i suppose for spells, resistance could do it, but "known resistances" are for elements and not schools.. also.. for weapon type?? (piercing,slashing...)

If there is something that can help with the above include book and page..
plz no magazines or homebrew..

ArcturusV
2013-06-01, 04:13 PM
Yeah, you're going to be looking at Resistances as the basis of this. Granted, they are usually energy types rather than weapon types. I can't think of anything that actually has something based off a school of magic.

The other thing to look at is Regeneration works in a similar vein. As everything is nonlethal damage except for one or two damage types typically.

Otherwise, yeah. You're looking at kitbashing and making up something yourself. Not that such a thing is a horrible thing to do. And it'd be simple enough to give something "Regeneration: Weak to Evocation Spells" or something.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-01, 04:28 PM
DR reduces the dmg you receive by a given amount and can be bypased by a certain quality (material, magic etc)...

the question is...

instead of having DR that reduces dmg from everything except 1 quality, isn't there a type of DR that gives you DR against just 1 or 2 qualities???
for example: DR5/everything except bludgeoning or DR5/everything except evocation spell's dmg..

i suppose for spells, resistance could do it, but "known resistances" are for elements and not schools.. also.. for weapon type?? (piercing,slashing...)

If there is something that can help with the above include book and page..
plz no magazines or homebrew..

First off Damage Reduction only applies to physical damage, unless a spell deals physical damage it always bypasses energy resistance. There is no such thing as Damage reduction vs spells its energy resistance, or spell resistance etc.

Several creatures do have an or clause in their damage reduction. Such as a Babu demon has DR 10/cold iron or good. One could have a creature with DR/ Piercing or Slashing. Which would effectively mean its resistant to only bludgeoning damage.

But doing that for anything beyond damage type is best left to a unique resistances.

yougi
2013-06-01, 07:42 PM
First, what Vukodlak said: there's no DR vs spells, that's called a resistance.

The Axeblock, Spearblock and Hammerblock enchants (MIC) give DR5/Piercing or Bludgeoning; DR5/Slashing or Bludgeoning; DR5/Slashing or Piercing, respectively, which gives a DR vs one type each.

I guess a creature could have DR5/Silver or Cold iron or adamantine, but they'll always be phrased by putting what can bypass the DR after the slash.