PDA

View Full Version : Unusual and Remarkably Useful Items?

Nettlekid
2013-06-01, 11:50 PM
In preparation of a new campaign, I'm kitting out my Bard with gadgets and appliances aplenty, in hope of never being caught off-guard or for want of a tool. I've gotten quite a lot of stuff already, but I love hearing the Playground's advice on matters like these. Before you post them, yes, I've read Bunko's Bargain Basement, the List of Necessary Magic Items, and Shax's Indispensable Haversack. I've bought many things from those lists, but not all, deciding some to be unneeded. Maybe you have a different opinion, or know of an interesting, out-of-the-way and not-often-remarked-upon magic item that you swear by. I want to hear your stories.

I have about 30,000 gold left to spend, but I could definitely drop some things if someone suggests something awesome and expensive.

ArcturusV
2013-06-01, 11:56 PM
Eight Diagram Coins. Either the lesser or the greater variety. It's an item that gives you a 1/day Augury (lesser) or Divination (greater). It's a simple effect. But hey, always handy to have on hand.

Nettlekid
2013-06-02, 12:02 AM
Where are those from?

ArcturusV
2013-06-02, 12:05 AM
Originally from Oriental Adventures. Not sure if they got reprinted anywhere.

Nettlekid
2013-06-02, 12:12 AM
Ah, that's why I couldn't find them. Hmm, Divination is quite useful, and I was a bit iffy about the comparatively low (77%) success rate, until I read that if it doesn't work, you know it didn't work. I might add these on, because you're right, a 0.77/day "What should we do next" item is pretty useful.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-02, 02:30 AM
Ever been in a dungeon and wished you could go a different direction than the choices available? An Opal of Tunneling (Sandstorm) can be a boon in these situations, allowing you to add a 30 ft tunnel of your own wherever you need it. This item reminds me of the tunneling crystals used by the Tok'ra in Stargate SG1. Keep in mind that you can orient your new tunnel in any direction, including up or down.

Nettlekid
2013-06-02, 03:03 AM
That's pretty neat, but spells like Disintegrate, Stone Shape, or Polymorph Any Object do much the same, so it's unlikely that the party will be without at least one of those options. A Lyre of Building might do similar, even if it takes a bit longer.

Slide
2013-06-02, 12:50 PM
You need to either be LN, LE, or NE, or make a DC 30 UMD check. If you can do any of those however, an Enveloping Pit from MiC is a 3,600 GP Portable Hole that's 10x10x50, with the option that you can make the entrance as small as one foot square.

That's no longer a storage space, that's a portable stronghold.

mabriss lethe
2013-06-02, 02:24 PM
Grell crystal from Lords of Madness: portable building material. It can do some of the same stuff that Marvelous pigments, shapesand, or chaos flasks can do, but a single application creates a huge volume of material and takes an hour to set. It costs 10 gp for a 1lb bag, add 5 gallons of water and you end up with a 50 lb 5'X5'X1" sheet that can be shaped with a craft crystalwork check. Hardness 7, 20 hp/inch. break dc 20, climb dc 25. (that's roughly equivalent to stone)

I find it to be useful for situations where something at least semi-permanent is needed and the pcs have a little time on their hands. It's a heck of a lot cheaper in the short run than shapesand and creates permanent effects without having to make an ability score check. (mind you, it doesn't really replace shapesand, that stuff is just too darned useful. However it does make for a nice alternative when other, more expensive materials aren't quite appropriate. ) I make sure to pick some up as soon as possible and will have even my higher level characters keep a couple of bags handy.

G.Cube
2013-06-02, 02:49 PM
You more then likely already have it, but Survival Pouch from MiC, it's just so darn nifty
Also, don't forget to load up on mundanes! Chalk(a multitude of colours!) a rubber ball, and those neat bags of flour!

Gildedragon
2013-06-02, 05:52 PM
Roller-skates (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a) yeah?

frost890
2013-06-03, 07:14 PM
I got a rubber ball with continual flame cast on it. Great for checking a floor for a a trap and lighting a room. Easily covered to. Things like shock stones are great as ammo for slings to. If someone has alchemy. Using a black egg works great. Make a small hole in the egg, drain and then fill with ground glass and poison. Smash and throw it in the eyes. One use items like a paper bird to send messages are great even if it sent to the enemy with a message used to distract them. Also string. Useful for so many things. A bell in the tunnel path or for a trap.