PDA

View Full Version : A Metalline Monk?

Rubik
2013-06-02, 01:58 AM
Okay, so, let's say that I have a warforged monk with a necklace of natural weapons, from Savage Species, which allows me to add weapon special abilities to my unarmed strikes. And since monks can literally attack with every part of their bodies, any weapon abilities will affect their entire bodies so they can attack therewith. If I add metalline, a +2 ability which turns the affected weapon into steel, cold iron, alchemical silver, or adamantine, would I gain the hardness and hp of a living piece of adamantine?

How much would that be, approximately, for a Medium sized monk? A Large, Huge, Gargantuan, or Colossal one?

This could be awesome.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 02:28 AM
Okay, so, let's say that I have a warforged monk with a necklace of natural weapons, from Savage Species, which allows me to add weapon special abilities to my unarmed strikes. And since monks can literally attack with every part of their bodies, any weapon abilities will affect their entire bodies so they can attack therewith. If I add metalline, a +2 ability which turns the affected weapon into steel, cold iron, alchemical silver, or adamantine, would I gain the hardness and hp of a living piece of adamantine?

How much would that be, approximately, for a Medium sized monk? A Large, Huge, Gargantuan, or Colossal one?

This could be awesome.

Look at Sizing or Brilliant Energy.

Lots of fun to be had abusing this interaction. Although RAW for it is real hazy.

Rubik
2013-06-02, 02:32 AM
Look at Sizing or Brilliant Energy.

Lots of fun to be had abusing this interaction. Although RAW for it is real hazy.I'm going for sizing too (assuming you allow it), but brilliant energy, not so much. It causes problems with environmental interaction, and AFAIK Elder Elvis (sic) don't usually wear armor anyway.

Yes, this is for your challenge.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-02, 02:36 AM
Warforged aren't animate objects, they're living costructs. By RAW there's a difference, and I don't read anywhere that they get the hardness of the material they're made. After all, the various [material] body don't give you hardness.
Anyway, you don't need the necklace of natural weapons to enchant your fist if you're a warforged: get Mithral/Adamantine Body. Your body now counts as masterwork. Enchant it.
If you go to the necklace route, however, you could add some alter self/thrall of Juiblex as well as a wildling clasp (4.000 gp, MIC) to turn into an animate object and then get hardness. I don't see how this would net you extra hp, though.

For more "warforged meets animated objects" fun, see true_shinken's Gazebo Jones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132).

Rubik
2013-06-02, 02:39 AM
Warforged aren't animate objects, they're living costructs. By RAW there's a difference, and I don't read anywhere that they get the hardness of the material they're made. After all, the various [material] body don't give you hardness.
Anyway, you don't need the necklace of natural weapons to enchant your fist if you're a warforged: get Mithral/Adamantine Body. Your body now counts as masterwork. Enchant it.
If you go to the necklace route, however, you could add some alter self/thrall of Juiblex as well as a wildling clasp (4.000 gp, MIC) to turn into an animate object and then get hardness. I don't see how this would net you extra hp, though.

For more "warforged meets animated objects" fun, see true_shinken's Gazebo Jones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132).Adding Adamantine Body to a monk is rather bad, since you lose a bunch of monk goodies, and I'm using my monk goodies. And creatures can totally have hardness. You don't have to be inanimate OR an object -- since psicrystals and animated objects are technically neither, yet both get hardness.

And warforged with Adamantine Body aren't MADE of adamantine -- they just have armored plating. There's a big difference there.

shaikujin
2013-06-02, 02:54 AM
Yes, if you can apply morphing/sizing/throwing/metaline/shadowstrike to your entire body, it's awesome.

A slightly more sane approach (otherwise, it makes a lot of class features unless) that my DM and I take is that only the specific part that you chose to attack with at any one time is affected.

Much like Monkey D. Luffy in the One Piece manga.
When he attacks with his fist, he can change it's length, shape, size and even hardness.
When he attacks with his head, he does the same with his head.

Also, Brilliant Energy can be a pain when you don't want it. By RAW, you can't turn off it's effects.

There are 4 methods I found that allows it to be turned off:
1) Have it on the Necklace of Natural Attacks, take off the necklace when you don't want it

2) Use the Master Legacy feat to temporarily gain an higher level enhancement on a Legacy Weapon, say from Menu F, for 1 hour. Use this to gain the Brilliant energy enhancement.

3) Artificer's ability to add a temp enchantment. Use this to gain the Brilliant energy enhancement.

4) Brilliant Blade spell from Complete Arcane I think

Uncle Pine
2013-06-02, 02:55 AM
Adding Adamantine Body to a monk is rather bad, since you lose a bunch of monk goodies, and I'm using my monk goodies. And creatures can totally have hardness. You don't have to be inanimate OR an object -- since psicrystals and animated objects are technically neither, yet both get hardness.

Oh, right, monk goodies. I hadn't thought you needed them for Tippy's challenge. My bad.
Anyway, creatures can have hardness if their statblocks say so. My PHB otherwise states that hardness is a quality of objects. However, if you can get the Harness (Ex) quality that animated objects get, you're gold.

And warforged with Adamantine Body aren't MADE of adamantine -- they just have armored plating. There's a big difference there.

Their "external layer" is made of adamantine, thus masterwork, thus you can put sweet magical properties on it.

Plus, wildling clasp works only with wild shape. 'Sorry.

Ashtagon
2013-06-02, 03:00 AM
Adding Adamantine Body to a monk is rather bad, since you lose a bunch of monk goodies, and I'm using my monk goodies. And creatures can totally have hardness. You don't have to be inanimate OR an object -- since psicrystals and animated objects are technically neither, yet both get hardness.

That "armoured plating"? It's not so much plating and part of their body, kind of like the bone plates (osteoderms) found in certain mammals and reptiles. It's only an external layer in the sense that your skin is external to the rest of your body.

Andezzar
2013-06-02, 05:14 AM
Look at Sizing or Brilliant Energy.How would sizing work? At some point the monk can no longer wield his unarmed strike. Or are you simply saying that a -4 penalty and two-handed effort of use for an Unarmed Strike two categories larger is a good trade.

I'm also not sure if resizing qualifies as enhancement or improvement. If this does not make the weapon better the special ability cannot be applied to the monk's Unarmed Strike. even if it can, shrinking the weapon back would probably not be improving or enhancing it. So the Unarmed strike has to stay augmented.

Rubik
2013-06-02, 11:29 AM
How would sizing work? At some point the monk can no longer wield his unarmed strike. Or are you simply saying that a -4 penalty and two-handed effort of use for an Unarmed Strike two categories larger is a good trade.

I'm also not sure if resizing qualifies as enhancement or improvement. If this does not make the weapon better the special ability cannot be applied to the monk's Unarmed Strike. even if it can, shrinking the weapon back would probably not be improving or enhancing it. So the Unarmed strike has to stay augmented.Remember, the entire monk is an unarmed strike, so sizing would make his entire body grow (or shrink), with all the benefits and penalties that implies.

Also, since Tippy rules that gauntlets can be used as an unarmed strike in a flurry, I'm totally taking the -2 penalty and using a Large gauntlet two-handed. A specially designed one (as mentioned in Savage Species for weapons designed for use with multiple hands) for two-handing a gauntlet would make a bit of sense, especially if it were a single weapon that slipped over both hands, for that "CAPTAIN KIRK SMASH!" feeling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4SK0cUNMnMM#t=17s

...only it'll totally be effective.

Fyermind
2013-06-02, 11:37 AM
If you are getting brilliant energy from a necklace, you can take the necklace off to stop being semi-incorporeal.

Rubik
2013-06-02, 11:41 AM
If you are getting brilliant energy from a necklace, you can take the necklace off to stop being semi-incorporeal.Not taking brilliant energy. It doesn't work effectively against creatures that don't wear armor (and most of the elder evils don't), and there are better ways to make touch attacks.

I am, however, taking ghost touch so I can be Shroedinger's in/corporeal, however.