PDA

View Full Version : [rock riff] Super Fighting Robot....MEGA MAN!!! (PF Gunslinger racial archetype)

zhdarkstar
2013-06-02, 08:06 AM
Super Fighting Robot

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/984051_10151923228173625_1760270820_n.jpg

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"
―Zero, Advanced Prototype Super Fighting Robot

Modified Class: This is a racial archetype for Warforged* and Android Gunslingers
*I can't link the conversion it's based on but here's a clue: :smallbiggrin: (http://www.amazon.com/Eberron-Campaign-Setting-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0786932740) + :smallwink: (http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2013/03/2014-Nissan-Pathfinder-Hybrid-rear.jpg)

As the technology of firearms continued to grow, a new breed of Warforged were created to meld these new weapons with the magic that gives the Warforged life. Centuries after the Great Robot War, a new generation of Super Fighting Robot has emerged from the Android ranks. Disassembly of the android line has shown that while the composition of androids is vastly different from the warforged, both models have buster systems that operate functionally identical.

Class Skills
The super fighting robot's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (local), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier

Armor Proficiency: A super fighting robot is only proficient with specially made suits of armor known as buster armor. Any armor can be created as buster armor for no additional cost. Converting an existing armor to buster armor, and vice versa, is a process that takes a day of work and 50 gp per effective enhancement bonus. The super fighting robot is proficient with all buster armors.

Weapon Proficiency: A super fighting robot is only proficient with one-handed firearms built into their buster armor. She must take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearm) feat to gain proficiency with standard firearms and firearm siege engines. All other weapon proficiencies remain unchanged.

Gunsmithing: Instead of the normal battered weapon received at 1st level, a super fighting robot must choose either a pistol or dragon pistol as a removable armor component known as a buster in one of her arms. As a swift action, the hand on her buster arm can be collapsed to expose the firearm barrel or reformed to cover it. This can be done as a free action with the Quick Draw feat, or as part of a move action as per the normal weapon rules. Unless she also has the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearm) feat, she can only use her Gunsmithing feat to create a one-handed firearm as a buster with no increase in material cost. Converting an existing firearm to a buster, and vice versa, is a process that takes a day of work and 50 gp per effective enhancement bonus.

This modifies gunsmithing.

Grit (Ex): A super fighting robot is a combination of magic and technology the likes of which had never been seen before. Instead of using her Wisdom to determine the number of grit points she gains at the start of each day and her maximum grit point pool, she uses her Intelligence.

This modifies grit.

Deeds: Menacing Shot and Stunning Shot now use Intelligence instead of Wisdom to determine the DC. In addition to this, a super fighting robot gains the following deeds:

Dash Boots (Ex): When attacked, the super fighting robot may move up to 10' as an immediate action to gain a dodge bonus to AC, +2 for every 5' moved, before that attack is resolved. This does not prevent a successful melee attack from dealing damage, but it can be used to interrupt iterative attacks. This movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, nor does it count as move or 5' step. This deed cannot be used against attacks of opportunity caused by the super fighting robot's actions. Use of this deed costs 1 grit point per 5' moved. At 15th and 20th levels, the maximum distance dashed increases by 5'. For the purposes of special abilities, this deed is otherwise treated as Gunslinger's Dodge.

This replaces the gunslinger's dodge deed.

Special Weapon Systems (Ex): At 3rd level, the super fighting robot can spend 1 grit point as a swift action to change her buster damage to one of the following types until the end of her turn: cold, electric, fire. At 11th level, she adds the following types to the list of options: acid, force, sonic. The cost of using this deed cannot be reduced with the Signature Deed feat, the true grit class feature, or any similar effect.

This replaces the pistol whip and lightning reload deeds.

Magical Defense Protocols (Su): The super fighting robot's enhanced defenses against magic come online at 3rd level. As an immediate action, she may spend 1 grit point when targeted by a spell or spell-like ability. If she succeeds at a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + triple spell level), she is not affected by it and stores the spell's energy within her buster, which is treated like the spell storing weapon ability except any level spell can be stored in it and the spell can be channeled through either ranged or melee attacks made with the buster arm.

This replaces the utility shot and bleeding wound deeds.

Emergency Subtank (Ex): At 19th level, whenever the super fighting robot is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, she can spend all of her remaining grit points (minimum 1) to instead have her current hit points set to half of her maximum hit points. This deed can only be used once per day.

This replaces the cheat death deed.

Buster Armor Upgrade (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a super fighting robot's buster armor receives an upgrade to its maneuverablity. Whenever he is wearing buster armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –5 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +5 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.

In addition, a super fighting robot can also move at his normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 6th level, a super fighting can move at his normal speed while wearing heavy armor.

This replaces nimble.

Buster Combat Programming (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a super fighting robot increases her skill with her buster. She gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to her Dexterity modifier, and when she misfires with her buster, the misfire value increases by 2 instead of 4. Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), the bonus on damage rolls increases by +1. At 13th level, a super fighting robot never misfires with her buster. At 17th level, her buster gains the Everloaded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/3rd-party-magic-items/3rd-party-magic-weapons/weapon-properties/adamant-entertainment/everloaded) weapon ability while she is wielding it. Busters with the scatter property may switch between bullets and pellets as a swift action once per round.

This replaces gun training 1, 2, 3, and 4.

New Feats:

Mega Buster [General, Grit]
Prerequisites: Super Fighting Robot 7th class level
Benefit: You may now build and wield busters based on two-handed firearms. Such busters incur a -2 penalty on attack rolls due to the unorthodox size and shape of the busters. You still must use two hands to fire for stability. You also gain the Fast Musket (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) deed as a bonus deed.

Prototype Melee Buster Integration (Ex) [General, Grit]
Prerequisites: Buster Combat Programming
Benefit: As long as you have 1 grit point, melee weapons you wield are treated as busters for the purpose of deeds, including Dead Shot. You may spend 1 grit point as a free action to add your Buster Combat Programming damage bonus to melee buster weapon damage until the end of your turn. The cost of using this deed cannot be reduced with the Signature Deed feat, the true grit class feature, or any similar effect.
Special: Busters based on firearms with a melee component treat the melee component as another form the hand of the buster arm can take.

Special Weapon System Upgrade (Ex) [General, Grit]
Benefit: Effects of the special weapon system deed now lasts a number of rounds equal to your class level.

Advanced Special Weapon System (Ex) [General, Grit]
Prerequisites: Mega Buster, Special Weapon System Upgrade, Dead Shot deed, Super Fighting Robot 12th class level
Benefit: When using the dead shot deed while under the effects of the special weapon system deed, one of the listed effects is added based on the type of buster damage. The effects of the special weapon system deed are ended after the single attack is resolved. Those which grant saves are DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Intelligence modifier.

Acid - Target makes a Fortitude save against being nauseated. If the target fails the save, it is nauseated for 1d8 rounds and makes an additional save against being paralyzed (Fortitude negates) for half of the duration of being nauseated. If the target succeeds, it is nauseated for 1d4 rounds.

Cold - Target makes a Fortitude save against being staggered. If the target fails the save, it is staggered for 1d6 rounds. If the target succeeds, it is staggered for 1d4 rounds.

Electric - Target makes a Fortitude save against being stunned. If the target fails the save, it is stunned for 1d6 rounds. If the target succeeds, it is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Fire - Target makes a Reflex save against catching fire. If the target fails the save, it takes 2d8 fire damage for 1d6 rounds. If the target succeeds, it takes 2d4 fire damage for 1d4 rounds.

Force - You may make a ranged trip attempt, that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, against the target with a circumstance bonus equal to half of the damage inflicted, up to half of your class level. If using a melee buster, you make a melee trip attempt instead, but the target does not get a trip attempt if you fail.

Sonic - Target makes a Fortitude save against being deafened. If the target fails the save, it is deafened for 1d8 rounds and makes an additional save against being confused (Will negates) for half of the duration of being deafened. If the target succeeds, it is deafened for 1d4 rounds.

Upgraded Magical Defense Protocols (Su) [General, Grit]
Benefit: As an immediate action, you may spend 1 grit point to gain SR 5 + class level, for 1 round. The cost of using this deed cannot be reduced with the Signature Deed feat, the true grit class feature, or any similar effect.

Advanced Magical Defense Protocols (Su) [General, Grit]
Prerequisites: Upgraded Magical Defense Protocols, Super Fighting Robot 12th class level
Benefit: The effects of Upgraded Magical Defense Protocols now lasts a number of rounds equal to your class level.

Elemental Defense Protocols (Su) [General, Grit]
Prerequisites: Special Weapon System Upgrade, Upgraded Magical Defense Protocols, Super Fighting Robot 12th class level
Benefit: While under the effects of the special weapon system deed, you gain energy resistance to the chosen energy type equal to your class level.

Favored Class Options

Super Fighting Robots may choose the following as their favored class bonus instead of the extra hit point or skill point per level:

+1/3 Max Grit and Grit earned at the start of the day

zhdarkstar
2013-06-02, 08:08 AM
Sample Builds

The following are sample builds that are more suited to be used as bosses than PCs. This is because their stats are on a higher point buy and their busters exceed WBL by a country mile.

With further ado, I present to you X and Zero!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yz7eq8v58uj723/X.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxasl363ytydl7i/Zero.pdf

Awards Won
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/CandyCoatedGengar/0e4e676e-cd03-4bcd-b28c-98e2bdc9a9b4_zpsc01877cc.jpghttp://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/CandyCoatedGengar/51e12432-d123-41ff-8623-dfb6712d7ee0_zps27309081.jpghttp://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q727/CandyCoatedGengar/cfaae5fc-85fb-47fb-94ab-68ae95203391_zps0e4aaac0.jpg

Feel free to critique and dissect this!

CosmicOccurence
2013-06-02, 01:40 PM
I love the pistol aspect you've added to it.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-02, 01:49 PM
I love the pistol aspect you've added to it.

Thank you very much! I felt that the opening gun had to be a one-handed firearm. Later on, you can put a two-handed firearm in a single arm via Mega Buster. If you have Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, and TWF, you could technically dual-wield muskets at -6/-6.

Holocron Coder
2013-06-03, 02:22 PM
So, how does reloading and ammo work for a buster?

If it still requires removing and reloading, it kinda loses the whole "buster" thing, but free auto-reload might be too good at low levels.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-03, 03:32 PM
So, how does reloading and ammo work for a buster?

If it still requires removing and reloading, it kinda loses the whole "buster" thing, but free auto-reload might be too good at low levels.

No need to remove to reload. Think breech-loading rather than muzzle-loading, but with no reduction in reload speed. A panel on the buster arm would open to allow you to reload after each shot. Fast Muskets was added as a bonus deed for Mega Buster to reflect this. Everloaded is the bonus for making through most of the long haul into the endgame so you don't have to spend money on basic ammo anymore, only the specialty rounds.

If you plan on using this class, please let me know how you build it and how it goes. That way I can update things if needed.

DracoDei
2013-06-03, 07:52 PM
Why define Buster Armor as being any different from normal armor at all? It doesn't cost more. As near as I can tell it is a fluff requirement or MAYBE an excuse for a GM to adhoc a reworking cost when the character loots a nice set of (magical) armor off a defeated foe.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-04, 12:07 AM
Why define Buster Armor as being any different from normal armor at all? It doesn't cost more. As near as I can tell it is a fluff requirement or MAYBE an excuse for a GM to adhoc a reworking cost when the character loots a nice set of (magical) armor off a defeated foe.

The concept of the Buster Armor was inspired by Mega Man X for Star Wars d20 by Azamor. In that game, regular armor was for Humans and armor shells were for the mechanical races. Since this is an archetype specifically for the 3.5/PF mechanical races, it only makes logical sense to give them their own specific armor set.

It is also a bit of fluff for fluff's sake, but take a look at a gallery from any Mega Man series. Every incarnation of the blue bomber has his armor and buster integrated into one suit. I would have been doing a disservice to Mega Man had I not gave this class its own armor that's essentially bolted into place.

The big tradeoff is that the SFR is proficient with all three types of armor, instead of just light armor. Also the SFR gets Buster Armor Upgrade a level before the Fighter gets Armor Training and is walking in heavy armor with no problem by level 6.

DracoDei
2013-06-04, 11:10 AM
Ok, so what I am getting from that is that it is really just fluff (which is fine by me).

I DOES mean that I am not sure that there is a "trade off" per se.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-04, 12:12 PM
Ok, so what I am getting from that is that it is really just fluff (which is fine by me).

I DOES mean that I am not sure that there is a "trade off" per se.

It's essentially the Gun Tank's armor proficiency minus the shields and wrapped in fluff. Plus I gave "Armor Training" instead of Bullet Deflection at 2nd level, thus keeping the bonus feats every 4 levels. Think of this as the Gun Tank++, but only for living constructs. When you compare that against the Gun Tank, you can see the trade off more clearly. Part of the way to justify giving the armor upgrade so early was to make class-specific armor; that way loot needs to be converted (which I will add a flat rule to it to prevent DM abuse) before it can be immediately used.

DracoDei
2013-06-04, 12:14 PM
It's essentially the Gun Tank's armor proficiency minus the shields and wrapped in fluff. Plus I gave "Armor Training" instead of Bullet Deflection at 2nd level, thus keeping the bonus feats every 4 levels. Think of this as the Gun Tank++, but only for living constructs. When you compare that against the Gun Tank, you can see the trade off more clearly. Part of the way to justify giving the armor upgrade so early was to make class-specific armor; that way loot needs to be converted (which I will add a flat rule to it to prevent DM abuse) before it can be immediately used.

I have no idea what "gun tank" is, and have never really looked at the gunslinger class.

zhdarkstar
2013-06-04, 12:21 PM
I have no idea what "gun tank" is, and have never really looked at the gunslinger class.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/gun-tank

And the buster conversion rules are up

zhdarkstar
2013-07-08, 07:35 AM
Updated to show off the fruits of my labor of love.

It's a good inspiration for me to keep brewing.