PDA

View Full Version : Mount and Blade esque tabletop RPG?

shadow_archmagi
2013-06-02, 10:35 AM
So, I really like the concept behind Mount and Blade. Gradually rising from a lone swordsman to the leader of an empire is great. I'd be really happy with Mount and Blade if it weren't for two things: First, as a computer game, it's not that great. (But let's not get into long discussions of game design philosophy) Second, as a computer game, it is a computer game, and thus not an experience I can easily share with my friends.

Is there an RPG out there with a similarly large goal? (It seems to me that it's only a matter of time until some enterprising game dev gets the rights to Game of Thrones, right?) Right now the closest thing I can think of is Rogue Trader, which is problematic because by all accounts the rules for mass-combat are terrible. Also, the game takes place in the 40k universe and is heavily, heavily tied to that. Erfworld seems to have the right idea, but it is a comic strip and not a playable RPG.

Rhynn
2013-06-02, 11:25 AM
ACKS (http://www.autarch.co/) (a B/X D&D retroclone) is explicitly about becoming a ruler and a king, by vassalage or conquest. We have a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283751) going on about it if you want to read more.

The Riddle of Steel and HârnMaster don't explicitly have as a goal or offer mechanics (other than very different kinds and scales of mass combat systems) for being a conqueror, but it's possible in both, and they are the tabletop RPGs that most strongly come to mind (ACKS is #3) from Mount & Blade (of which I am a huge fan since the original game, and have clocked more hours on Steam than for any other game). HârnMaster's BloodLust skirmish rules would even get somewhat similar combat: you command maybe a dozen or two dozen soldiers in a sort of mini-wargame.

Out of those two, I'd probably go with HârnMaster because the setting is Dark Ages/Early Medieval (the rules stat plate armor but it only really exists as helmets in the setting) and because combat is simpler than in TROS, and the mass combat rules are very fun; TROS's mass combat rules are utilitarian and more abstract, although still quite fun.

Still, ACKS may be the best fit overall because it was built from the ground up with the purpose of emulating exactly what you want, but it's very much a D&D game; you can cut out the magic and monsters and demi-humans just fine, though, IMO. Indeed, Kiero has (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285049), as I understand. Domains at War (mass combat rules on several scales) will be out soon, too.

shadow_archmagi
2013-06-02, 01:35 PM
ACKS (http://www.autarch.co/) (a B/X D&D retroclone) is explicitly about becoming a ruler and a king, by vassalage or conquest. We have a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283751) going on about it if you want to read more.

The Riddle of Steel and HârnMaster don't explicitly have as a goal or offer mechanics (other than very different kinds and scales of mass combat systems) for being a conqueror, but it's possible in both, and they are the tabletop RPGs that most strongly come to mind (ACKS is #3) from Mount & Blade (of which I am a huge fan since the original game, and have clocked more hours on Steam than for any other game). HârnMaster's BloodLust skirmish rules would even get somewhat similar combat: you command maybe a dozen or two dozen soldiers in a sort of mini-wargame.

Out of those two, I'd probably go with HârnMaster because the setting is Dark Ages/Early Medieval (the rules stat plate armor but it only really exists as helmets in the setting) and because combat is simpler than in TROS, and the mass combat rules are very fun; TROS's mass combat rules are utilitarian and more abstract, although still quite fun.

Still, ACKS may be the best fit overall because it was built from the ground up with the purpose of emulating exactly what you want, but it's very much a D&D game; you can cut out the magic and monsters and demi-humans just fine, though, IMO. Indeed, Kiero has (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285049), as I understand. Domains at War (mass combat rules on several scales) will be out soon, too.

Oh man, this looks gorgeous. I have no objections to wizards and D&D stuff- In fact, I enjoy it.

horngeek
2013-06-02, 07:21 PM
Is there an RPG out there with a similarly large goal? (It seems to me that it's only a matter of time until some enterprising game dev gets the rights to Game of Thrones, right?) Right now the closest thing I can think of is Rogue Trader, which is problematic because by all accounts the rules for mass-combat are terrible. Also, the game takes place in the 40k universe and is heavily, heavily tied to that. Erfworld seems to have the right idea, but it is a comic strip and not a playable RPG.

Actually, there is a Song of Ice and Fire RPG by Green Ronin.

I can't speak for quality, though, never played it.

Since I'll shamelessly do this every time it's even remotely relevant, though, building a kingdom is a very easy goal to set for yourself in Exalted (although it might be worth waiting for 3e in this case, coming out in October-December).

In addition, the Ultimate Campaign book for Pathfinder has just come out, and it contains kingdom-building rules included.

Rhynn
2013-06-02, 10:10 PM
Weirdly enough, none of the various ASOIAF RPGs (d20/Tri-Stat and the original system) strike me as very good for Mount & Blade style play. They get too abstract about the warfare and economy and politics. ACKS models domains, trade, and warfare (with Domains at War) far better, and those are all fairly essential to Mount & Blade, IMO.

ACKS is probably the best D&D retroclone there is, IMO; it's definitely the best for me, because just about every rule is exactly what I want and what I was houseruling my AD&D towards.

VeliciaL
2013-06-02, 10:56 PM
I'm not even too into D&D retroclones, but between this thread and the other I'm thinking that ACKS is going to go on my wishlist. Playing a M&B style game sounds pretty awesome.

Premier
2013-06-03, 03:39 PM
Another old-school product well worth checking out is An Echo, Resounding. It also deals with running domains, leading armies & the like, but does so in a different, more abstract register that I personally find to be closer to my temperament.

As an example, ACKS might tell you that a Duchy is so-and-so large, has so-and-so many families, it's divided into so-and-so many counties, how much taxes you collect, what sort of items are available at the main city's market, and how strict the laws are. In contrast, AER will only tell you that your town has the scores of Wealth 0, Military 4 and Social 2 an doesn't translate these into hard numbers. However, it will also make you roll on some tables to let you know that the place was founded by religious idealists, the location was chosen for its strategic importance, it has a strong military tradition and is beset by factional infighting. It also tells you the effect of building a Shrine at the cost of tying up one of of your Social points in it.

As you see, it has a different focus, and is really good on giving the DM tools to create his own setting with. It's not a full, standalone RPG system, but is compatible with any old-school edition of D&D or any retroclone.