PDA

View Full Version : [M&M 2nd ed] Can devices be alternate powers?

Sir_Chivalry
2013-06-02, 10:35 AM
Just want to check before I do it. Can I have a series of devices that I can only use one at a time that switch out? I'm basically looking at having objects that grant powers connected to the planets in their mythological senses. Also, any suggestions on refinement of powers is appreciated.

Sun/Gold - probably a plasma control or light control array, alternate form of an energy being most likely makes sense.

Mercury/Quicksilver - Superspeed, perhaps some trickery powers or ability to speak with spirits. Concentration duration immunity to attacks (meaning if I devote a standard action, I can avoid attacks)? Air Control might be in there too.

Venus/Copper - emotion control (love), attractive feat probably, some feats from Mecha and Manga if allowed (Beautiful Voice, Bishoujo/Bishounen, Demonc Glare, Kawaii, Distracting Looks).If I don't do light control on Gold, I'll do it here. Earth Control, strange as it is, might work here.

Moon/Silver - if I don't end up doing much trickery in Mercury, I'll do it here. Probably illusions and concealments and obscure. Perhaps a boost on Gather Information and the appropriate feats, or maybe those will be on the base character. I'm open to suggestions on this one. Water Control probably.

Iron/Mars - fighting power. Maybe manifest a suit of armour and weapons, or increase size and density to make character super strong. Immunities to various things would be a good idea, and/or half immunity to lower saves. Fire Control perhaps, though might be unnecessary next to the Sun one.

Tin/Jupiter - Luck feat to the max (if not on the base character) and a lot of leadership powers and feats. Perhaps Rallying Cry from Iron Age (gives people a new save against mind control and fear). Electrical control probably a must :P

Lead/Saturn - pre or post cog and possibly cosmic awareness. Time Control, though appropriate, kinda is unnecessary with the Mercury powers.

Might end up doing an eighth sphere for control of the four elements (representing Terra) if the elemental controls don't work on the other planet/metals slots.

Rhynn
2013-06-02, 11:28 AM
A Device is essentially just a container for powers that can be lost or taken away, so I don't see why not. You could have a device with just one power that has Alternate Powers, so I don't see why the whole Device couldn't be one... it's going to end up costing the same.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-02, 01:38 PM
The problem occurs when a Device container is placed in an array with a non-Device effect, because the Device container's discount comes from its removability, and it cannot be removed while a non-Device effect is active in the array. The one way to avoid that is to give all the effects the same removability level, but at that point you might as well make them the same Device.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-06-02, 02:46 PM
The problem occurs when a Device container is placed in an array with a non-Device effect, because the Device container's discount comes from its removability, and it cannot be removed while a non-Device effect is active in the array. The one way to avoid that is to give all the effects the same removability level, but at that point you might as well make them the same Device.

What if all the powers are devices?

Beleriphon
2013-06-02, 02:51 PM
What if all the powers are devices?

That's fine then.