PDA

View Full Version : Psicrystal feats

Renen
2013-06-02, 03:13 PM
What exactly affects my psicrystal's HD and therefore feats?

I am making a Elan Paragon 3/Erudite 8/Mind bender 1
Does it ONLY depend on Erudite levels or also on any class advancing ML?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 03:21 PM
What exactly affects my psicrystal's HD and therefore feats?

I am making a Elan Paragon 3/Erudite 8/Mind bender 1
Does it ONLY depend on Erudite levels or also on any class advancing ML?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals

"Psicrystal abilities are based on the owner’s levels in psionic classes. Levels from other classes do not count toward the owner’s level for purposes of psicrystal abilities."

Whether the Paragon levels count depends on your DM, as there is no official Elan Paragon class.

Mind Bender doesn't count.

So it's either 8 or 11 levels of psionic classes for purposes of it's abilities.

However, it's HD are equal to those of its master (12 in this case), and thus it gains feats at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12.

Renen
2013-06-02, 03:22 PM
All hail Emperor Tippy!

But it does not have any ML of it's own correct? (So if I wanna put on a feat like Expanded Knowledge, i need to give it Precised manifester as well?)

Rubik
2013-06-02, 03:27 PM
All hail Emperor Tippy!Does he equal win?

But it does not have any ML of it's own correct? (So if I wanna put on a feat like Expanded Knowledge, i need to give it Precised manifester as well?)The only way to give a psicrystal an actual manifester level that counts for prereqs (without complete cheese, anyway) lies in Complete Psionic, as there are feats in there which give you an actual, unrestricted manifester level.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 03:43 PM
Does he equal win?

The only way to give a psicrystal an actual manifester level that counts for prereqs (without complete cheese, anyway) lies in Complete Psionic, as there are feats in there which give you an actual, unrestricted manifester level.

You just have it take Hidden Talent as its first feat. That gives it an ML of 1 and 2 power points.

Of course, pushing it higher is a royal pain outside of Practiced Manifester.

If you want real fun what you do is get a Psicrystal with Hidden Talent and then have it take Psicrystal Affinity. Your Psicrystal's Psicrystal does the same thing and so on.

Infinite Psicrystal's.

It's a pity that there is no Heighten Power, otherwise you could mess around with Practiced Manifester and Expanded Knowledge to get it to know more powers.

Rubik
2013-06-02, 04:23 PM
You just have it take Hidden Talent as its first feat. That gives it an ML of 1 and 2 power points.Doesn't work, as the feat explicitly says it's not an actual manifester level if you don't already have one, which means it doesn't count for the purposes of PrCs, feats, and whatnot.

If you want real fun what you do is get a Psicrystal with Hidden Talent and then have it take Psicrystal Affinity. Your Psicrystal's Psicrystal does the same thing and so on.

Infinite Psicrystal's.That could be useful in one manner or another, but none of the secondary psicrystals would have psionic class levels (and thus, none of them would have psicrystals with special abilities based on such).

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 04:37 PM
Doesn't work, as the feat explicitly says it's not an actual manifester level if you don't already have one, which means it doesn't count for the purposes of PrCs, feats, and whatnot.
Hmm, true.

That could be useful in one manner or another, but none of the secondary psicrystals would have psionic class levels (and thus, none of them would have psicrystals with special abilities based on such).
None of the psicrystals would have any psionic class levels at all. Even your original (as you are right about Hidden Talent).

Urpriest
2013-06-02, 04:40 PM
If RHD that give an ML count as a Psionic Class then an Epic Psicrystal with Psicrystal Power could get a proper chain up.

Does anyone know if PrCs that advance Psionics count as Psionic classes? If so, the Mindbender level would also count, I presume the Psionic adaptation of the class is being used.

Rubik
2013-06-02, 04:46 PM
If RHD that give an ML count as a Psionic Class then an Epic Psicrystal with Psicrystal Power could get a proper chain up.Possibly, but that's epic levels, and you don't get those until the master is epic (since Improved Psicrystal doesn't grant additional HD).

Does anyone know if PrCs that advance Psionics count as Psionic classes? If so, the Mindbender level would also count, I presume the Psionic adaptation of the class is being used.They are classes, and they are psionic, so I'd say that Signs Point To Yes.

Renen
2013-06-03, 08:07 AM
Does he equal win?

The only way to give a psicrystal an actual manifester level that counts for prereqs (without complete cheese, anyway) lies in Complete Psionic, as there are feats in there which give you an actual, unrestricted manifester level.

Tippy = win²

Also, which feats do you mean?

I have spent 2 feats giving my crystal white raven tactics, but the rest I am willing to spend to get 1 expanded knowledge power that I can feat leech and get any power I want.

Rubik
2013-06-03, 09:43 AM
Tippy = win²Yes indeed.

Also, which feats do you mean?The host feats.

Chronos
2013-06-03, 10:21 AM
If you can increase the crystal's Cha a few points, it'll be eligible for the Lifesense feat (normally taken by undead, but the prerequisite is just Con --, so a construct qualifies). That'd be good for serving as a lookout.

As long as your effective psionic level is at least 5, it'll qualify for Mindsight, too, for the same purpose. Which you probably also already have for yourself, given that Mindbender dip.

Renen
2013-06-03, 05:03 PM
Yes indeed.

The host feats.

I see... so the host feats don't just give that ML to the skills they grant (like some SU abilities that cast LIKE you are a certain CL). They actually give you ML = 1/2 your HD? Did I get that right.