PDA

View Full Version : Think one of our players kinda is getting way too much health?

drakoonity
2013-06-02, 04:23 PM
Ok so one of out players multiclassed into barbarian and fighter, and so now he says that whenever he levels up for either class he gets to roll both HD for them and add it to his health instead of just the one HD for that class. Is this accurate or is he just saying that to get insane amounts of health?

J-H
2013-06-02, 04:24 PM
He's wrong....

ArcturusV
2013-06-02, 04:26 PM
Yeah, he's wrong. You only roll for the class you are taking when you level. Same with skill points by the way. If he takes a level of fighter he's only getting the 2+ modifiers. And his class skills for that level are only the Fighter's class skills.

Even if you were playing gestalt rules, it wouldn't work that way. In there you just take the better of the two. So he'd roll a d12 for HP every level if he was a Barbarian//Fighter.

eggynack
2013-06-02, 04:27 PM
Yeah, he's just incorrect on this one. You roll one hit die, depending on the level you're advancing. Depending on whether he multiclassed into fighter or barbarian, he gains d10 or d12 plus his constitution modifier each level.

drakoonity
2013-06-02, 04:28 PM
Thats what i thought cause he is only level 4 and has almost 100 health, also he says for his skill that the skill that he is proficient with both in can still be at max rank while all the others get the max rank basically halfed for splitclassing.

INoKnowNames
2013-06-02, 04:28 PM
Ok so one of out players multiclassed into barbarian and fighter, and so now he says that whenever he levels up for either class he gets to roll both HD for them and add it to his health instead of just the one HD for that class. Is this accurate or is he just saying that to get insane amounts of health?

Have him point out where in the rules it says that. Because no where in the rules does it say that. He's either mistaken, or outright lying.

Thats what i thought cause he is only level 4 and has almost 100 health, also he says for his skill that the skill that he is proficient with both in can still be at max rank while all the others get the max rank basically halfed for splitclassing.

The rules for skills is that you buy them with the skill points for the class you're leveling. Class skills for that class are bought at full ranks; non-class skills being bought are bought at half ranks. If the classes have synergy (I think Barbarian and Fighter share Intimidate), then he can have them maxed because it's a class skill for both classes.

There are a few ways around this, but otherwise, it sounds like he's just outright lying, rather than being mistaken.

drakoonity
2013-06-02, 04:31 PM
He was reading it off his phone from the web or something like word for word and the DM I think just went along with it cause he didn't want to argue with him. It just seemed way to powerful to me so I figured I would ask you all who know way more then me in this all lol.

Urpriest
2013-06-02, 04:32 PM
Your player is not only wrong, he's either being disingenuous or he doesn't know how to play the game. The way that hit dice work is a really really basic part of how the game works as a whole. Not knowing it (and not being new enough to need help from the DM on making a character) is indicative of someone with serious difficulties.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-02, 04:35 PM

If I'm understanding that correctly, he does have that bit right. If a skill was ever a class-skill for any of your classes its maximum rank cap is, ever after, equal to your character level, plus three. It still costs 2 points per rank if its not a class-skill for the class you advance on level-up, though.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 04:48 PM
Skills:

1) If a skill has ever been a class skill for you then max ranks in that skill are equal to HD+3.
2) If a skill is a class skill for whatever class you took that level then it costs 1 point per skill rank to increase it (up to HD+3 ranks).
3) If a skill is not a class skill for whatever class you took that level but is a class skill for any other class that you have taken then it costs 2 points per skill rank to increase it (up to HD+3 ranks).
4) If a skill is not a class skill for whatever class you took that level and is also not a class skill for any other class that you have ever taken then it costs 2 points per skill rank to increase it (up to .5(HD+3) ranks).

HP:
Upon level up you gain 1 HD of the type specified by the class you took that level (a d10 in the case of a fighter) and gain HP equal to the roll of that dice plus your Con modifer.

Hope that answers your questions.

Steward
2013-06-02, 04:50 PM
He was reading it off his phone from the web or something like word for word and the DM I think just went along with it cause he didn't want to argue with him.

If he says he's reading word-for-word (rather than paraphrasing) then he's probably playing a bit of a joke on your DM. I can understand misremembering the rules or misreading them but what he's doing here is way too far from the actual rules; as a house rule it should be run by the DM and the other players so they are at least aware of it.

drakoonity
2013-06-02, 04:51 PM
Thank you all for all the help you gave me, I'm thinking i might rub it in his face and tell him that hes wrong but I feel that would just cause a huge fight and he owns all the books so I'll just let him know privately and show him this forum possibly.

Marcus Amakar
2013-06-02, 04:56 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

This contains all the core rules you need to play, and is totally free and legal. Hopefully, this should stop him owning all the books being such a problem.

yougi
2013-06-02, 05:01 PM
I can actually see where the player is coming from...

PHB on gaining a level, p.59, Emphasis mine:

Hit Points: A character gains hit points from each class as his or her class level increases, adding the new hit points to the previous total. For example, Lidda the halfling began as a rogue and attained 4th level, then added levels of wizard at her next two level advancements. As a 4th-level rogue/2nd-level wizard, her total hit points are 6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d4.

Which can lead you to believe what your player thinks. However, the example does not support this theory.

SciChronic
2013-06-02, 05:06 PM
it's also rather easy to get all the 3.5 books (barring Dragon Mag) as pdf files. As a college student living in dorms where space is an issue, i only keep the 3 core books (PHB, DMG, MM1) with me, and look at the pdfs for everything else. Someone from who isnt living in the dorms, but is in the group brings his books for when we play, but i make sure everyone has access to the books via pdfs for them to read.

Urpriest
2013-06-02, 08:44 PM
I can actually see where the player is coming from...

PHB on gaining a level, p.59, Emphasis mine:

Which can lead you to believe what your player thinks. However, the example does not support this theory.

If you're just getting it from the books, sure. But D&D 3.5 is out of print. Anyone playing it either has been playing it for a long time, or was taught by someone who was. Nobody just picks up the books independently anymore.

TaiLiu
2013-06-02, 08:57 PM
If you're just getting it from the books, sure. But D&D 3.5 is out of print. Anyone playing it either has been playing it for a long time, or was taught by someone who was. Nobody just picks up the books independently anymore.

Considering all the online shops and pdf files, it's perfectly possible. Personally, I've never even heard of Dungeons and Dragons until reading this webcomic, and was unaware that there was even a fourth edition until I lurked through enough forums.

yougi
2013-06-03, 12:11 AM

I think you're exaggerating a bit. PDFs and used copies of the books are still around, and I'd say that I must not be the only one who recently (within the last year and a half) got a group together and read the rules to know how to play, without anyone showing me. It's not a farfetched situation either.

Also, even if someone was taught the game one way, and would then read the book (I mean, I hope most, or at least a good portion of D&Ders have read the PHB) and see this, how hard is it to imagine them misunderstanding the rule, and thinking that the person who introduced them to the game was wrong all along: the phrasing I emphasized in my quote really is ambiguous. Add to that the possibility of dyslexia, dysphasia, attention deficit disorder, second language English speakers, and even possibly faulty translations, which all (and even more) can take an unambiguous sentence and make it ambiguous to a reader, and I believe it is fairly possible to come up with the understanding that the OP talked about. My point is that even if they were taught the game doesn't mean they didn't read the rules afterwards: I do it every time I'm taught a new game.

(Wow, I just disagreed with Urpriest... am I in trouble? :smallbiggrin: )

nedz
2013-06-03, 09:41 AM

I was under the impression that they'd just republished the books, well Core + SpC.

killem2
2013-06-03, 09:44 AM
Yeah, he's just incorrect on this one. You roll one hit die, depending on the level you're advancing. Depending on whether he multiclassed into fighter or barbarian, he gains d10 or d12 plus his constitution modifier each level.

For an easy example have the player look at the frost giant in the MM or SRD, and see how the two are different when you have just the frost giant or the one that took levels of a class.

It comes right out and states:

Frost Giant Jarl, 8th-Level Blackguard

14d8+84 plus 8d10+48 (231 hp)

Ignominia
2013-06-03, 09:56 AM
If your friend is referencing the PHB3.5 have him read over the example on page 60 "How Multiclassing works" about half way down the first paragraph, it states that the character in question decides to take a new class and then rolls that classes HD, with no mention what so ever of also rolling her original classes HD.

Hopefully he realizes his error and politely re-rolls HP... although... the loss of what Im sure is a MASSIVE amount of HP may cause a bit of rage...

Good Luck!

Chen
2013-06-03, 02:21 PM

Even using the system he mentioned, how could he have nearly 100 hp at 4th level?

1- Barb = 12
2- Fighter = 12 +10
3- Fighter = 12 +10
4- Fighter = 12 +10

An 18 Con makes this 94, but that's somehow assuming max rolls every level which seems fairly unrealistic. Seems like a cheater to me regardless of rules mis-interpretation.

eggynack
2013-06-03, 02:33 PM
Even using the system he mentioned, how could he have nearly 100 hp at 4th level?

1- Barb = 12
2- Fighter = 12 +10
3- Fighter = 12 +10
4- Fighter = 12 +10

An 18 Con makes this 94, but that's somehow assuming max rolls every level which seems fairly unrealistic. Seems like a cheater to me regardless of rules mis-interpretation.
If he "multiclassed into barbarian and fighter" he could have started out with something that wasn't barbarian or fighter. In that case, he'd have three or four HD instead of two, which could make the math work.