PDA

View Full Version : Mailman Build?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-06-02, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking of making a sorcerer made to deliver heavy damage.

But there's a few things to it also...

1) I want to see if I can make it mix with leadership.
Not from a min/maxing way but in a flavour way

2) I want to be able to cast spells constantly, not focus solely on damage so after 4-5 fireballs I'm out for the day.

Any general advice people can give for this?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking of making a sorcerer made to deliver heavy damage.

But there's a few things to it also...

1) I want to see if I can make it mix with leadership.
Not from a min/maxing way but in a flavour way
Grab the Leadership feat and go to town then

2) I want to be able to cast spells constantly, not focus solely on damage so after 4-5 fireballs I'm out for the day.

Any general advice people can give for this?

Be a wizard, purchase an auto-resetting trap of Mage's Lucubration and store it in your portable hole/bag of holding.

Don't use spells above 5th level for your attack spell. Regain all expended spells in a few rounds after each combat.

Nettlekid
2013-06-02, 05:31 PM
What level are you starting at? That's important for knowing how to make the build.
Also, when you say Leadership for flavor, what kind of flavor do you want?
And thirdly, you just said you'd be casting Fireball. You will not be casting Fireball. Do not cast Fireball. You will be casting most likely Orb of Force, maybe Wings of Flurry or Doom Scarabs. If you want fire, Combust or Orb of Fire. Not Fireball.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-06-02, 05:40 PM
What level are you starting at? That's important for knowing how to make the build.
Also, when you say Leadership for flavor, what kind of flavor do you want?
And thirdly, you just said you'd be casting Fireball. You will not be casting Fireball. Do not cast Fireball. You will be casting most likely Orb of Force, maybe Wings of Flurry or Doom Scarabs. If you want fire, Combust or Orb of Fire. Not Fireball.

Level 8

Flavor is iffy.
I saw something about Orc Bloodline boosting damage so the original idea was Orc sorcerer with tribe following, but then that showed itself to be PF only so I couldn't.

How I use it depends on the race my sorcerer will end up being, but generally I think it's meant to be people who follow my person for some kind of insane power he possess and are in awe of it. Or the sorcerer is simply very good with words and people naturally like him as a result.

Why no fireball? :(

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 05:44 PM
Why no fireball? :(

It's SR: Yes and save for half (save for all against Evasion).

Chain Spell Orb of Fire lets you dump on just as many enemies, doesn't hit allies, doesn't allow SR, and doesn't have a save for damage, and does potentially daze your enemies for a round.

eggynack
2013-06-02, 05:48 PM

Chain Spell Orb of Fire lets you dump on just as many enemies, doesn't hit allies, doesn't allow SR, and doesn't have a save for damage, and does potentially daze your enemies for a round.
Don't forget that you can also shoot into an AMF. That line of spells is pretty great.

Nettlekid
2013-06-02, 05:49 PM
Hmm, honestly, there's not a whole lot you can do at level 8. You've only just gotten 4th level spells, and there's not a lot of room for metamagic games (and that's what makes the damage really pop.)

Well, you decide what flavor you want, because otherwise I'd only be suggesting things from an optimization standpoint to make the Sorcerer stronger.

No Fireball for a number of reasons. One, it's Fire damage, which is the most resisted type, so there will be many enemies that just aren't hurt by it. But the most important reason is that it offers a Reflex save for half damage, which means that anything with Evasion laughs at you and things that don't will still take only 5d6 on a save. 10d6 maximum damage isn't great anyway. Compare to two sort of similar spells. Orb of Force also maxes out at 10d6, but it's Ranged Touch (practically insta-hit, Touch AC is always low) and Force damage, which is pretty much never resisted. Only Epic-level Force Dragons, I think. Throw out an Orb of Force and you WILL be doing 10d6 damage to whatever you point at. Another similar spell is Wings of Flurry, which is an area spell and offers a Reflex save like Fireball. However, it does CLd6 damage uncapped, which gets incredibly high if you use Caster Level-boosting tricks. It also Dazes on a failed save, which is an excellent condition to inflict. And like Orb of Force, it's Force damage, which means unresisted. Both of these spells are greatly superior to Fireball. Don't use Fireball.

Agincourt
2013-06-02, 06:25 PM
Fireball is long range so depending on your setting it could have its uses. Outdoors, in open fields, it can be nice to hit something from 720 feet away (since you're 8th level).

If you are doing mostly dungeon crawls, forget about it and go with one of the orb spells as suggested. The medium range will serve you in just about any dungeon.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-06-02, 11:44 PM
I'm willing to work towards a more long term goal.

I don't need the build to be perfected/work fully right from the get go.

DigoDragon
2013-06-03, 07:44 AM
Have you checked the Reserve Feats in Complete Mage? If you have certain spells available to cast, the Reserve Feats give you an unlimited minor magic trick you can keep using (Provided you don't cast the spell the trick is tied to)

It's not much, but it works with your idea of being able to cast constantly.

Emmerask
2013-06-03, 07:59 AM

The difference being that a chained Orb of Fire is a 7th level spell (though that can be brought down with some feat investment)
and actually the chain spell metamagic does allow reflex half (if damage spell) for every creature except the first on top of only dealing half damage to secondary targets :smallwink:
Which means secondary targets potentially only get 1/4th the damage.

If the chained spell deals damage, the secondary targets each take half as much damage as the primary target (rounded down) and can attempt Reflex saving throws for half damage (whether the spell allows the original target a save or not)

so fireball really isnīt that bad an option.

In general wizards while excelling at everything else better then everyone else are not that good at dealing direct hitpoint damage (outside of cheesy stuff).

Humble Master
2013-06-03, 08:04 AM
A good low level spell is Scorching Ray. While it is effected by SR it doesn't allow a save.