PDA

View Full Version : An odd question about the Arcane

Lynnalynna
2013-06-02, 06:52 PM
This is my first time posting here so I hope I am doing this right. I have a huge question about arcane classes and multiclassing. Currently I am looking at multiclassing x/Wu Jen, now that x is either going to be Wizard or Sorcerer, but both ways have a question I must ask for either.

First off, in the Wiz/Wuj combo, how does a prepared arcane + prepared arcane stack up work? I have done this combo before, but we just kinda fuddled through the rules for it as it wasn't really the strangest thing in that group (the exalted binder was). I enjoyed the combo but now, years later, looking at doing the same thing but with enchanting instead of necromancy as my focus on wiz, I am finding that some of the stuff was done slightly wrong, like a single spell list for instance (been playing dnd since 2.0 and honestly just learned that rule, but I used to never multiclass). Also, how does it stack up with spell books? Do I have to have 2 spell books, or can both share a single book even though the spells are technically a seperate list?

Then that gets into the second question. Going into this character, I am taking (if wiz/wuj) Dragontouched and Dragon Heritage Lung Wang, and if with wizard I will be a focused enchantress (are group is heavily focused on the roleplay, so if something is weaker, really we don't notice too much. This character is going to be a heavily cha utilizing character), that out of the way I can get to the second question. If Sorceress/Wu Jen, how does spontaneous casting interact with prepared casting? I could use the extra feat (I'm human) but I'm really not sure how the interaction with the Sor/WuJ will avail? What are the rules in other words.

Now I am not here to debate what classes are better/worse or what classes I should be taking out side of Wiz/WuJ or Sor/WuJ, and in fact my DM hates powerplayers, We have played together many years and he is familiar with my "strange caster" antics but doesn't consider them power plays (in fact my previous Wiz/WuJ, necro spec, was able to save him very well due to some...more interesting roleplaying). I have loved Wiz/WuJ in the past, but the ability to not have to take Dragontouched makes it easier for me to take either "Hairtoss and smile" out of the "Quintessential Temptress" or "Eye Candy" out of the "Chainmail Bikini", both of which play towards the character being the flirtatious enchantress.

I guess the real question comes down to just how does Spontanious/Prepared and Prepared/Prepared multiclasses truly work?

Qwertystop
2013-06-02, 07:00 PM
If you multiclass, you track all relevant spells known, spells prepared, and other spell lists separately by class.

You can still use one spellbook, but the spells from one class or another still can only be prepared for the class that knows them.

If a spell is on both class lists, I'm not sure whether you can prepare it for both/either class from only one listing in your spellbook - might be up to your DM.

Why does removing Dragontouched make it easier to change how you roleplay? Most feats are mechanical abstractions. Why does taking the feat mandate having pointlessly-skimpy armor or acting seductive?

Lynnalynna
2013-06-02, 07:28 PM
If you multiclass, you track all relevant spells known, spells prepared, and other spell lists separately by class.

You can still use one spellbook, but the spells from one class or another still can only be prepared for the class that knows them.

If a spell is on both class lists, I'm not sure whether you can prepare it for both/either class from only one listing in your spellbook - might be up to your DM.

Why does removing Dragontouched make it easier to change how you roleplay? Most feats are mechanical abstractions. Why does taking the feat mandate having pointlessly-skimpy armor or acting seductive?

I guess that one is more mechanic over roleplay (just realized eyecandy wasn't the feat I was thinking of, but the bonus of "Hairtoss and Smile" would help towards my rolls in this case, where as i'm pretty much taking dragontouch for the sake of being able to take draconic feats. Either way, I'm still roleplaying the same, but to different ends I guess I could say).

Basically I am just thinking of how it would be nice to have a bonus from a hairflip, I know, I said I prefer a roleplay side, but sometimes that extra bonus can really help the next portion. (basically the character is going to be focused on manipulating the "field of battle" to her ends, especially to avoid combat. So I have been slowly building her to be the kind of character that would just as ready use Cha over Spells if I could, though still having a huge focus on spells)

Quick rundown:

Alignment:CN
Metamagic Feat: Silent Spell
Taboo: every time she crosses a body of water or drinks from one, she must through in a gold coin, as well as when she reaches a new town, she must give a gold coin to what ever tavern or inn in which she is drinking from, this is to pay respect to the spirits of her ancient draconic heritage.
Barred Schools (if going Wizard): Evocation, Necromancy, Abjuration
Profession taken: Wench

She views herself as superior than most (mainly due to her distant draconic heritage), but is generally just spoiled, her whole reason to adventuring is the boredom excuse, but the truth is she wants to get away from her local area due to being in love with someone who doesn't even notice her, and not for her not trying. Basically, bitter and angry at the world, she takes it out by offing those kind of feelings on others. Her main tactics are flirtation or dispersing situations via her spells (which though heavily focused on enchantment, will still include some illusion, a few fog style conjurations, and a handful of divination to be able to play the "informed wench"). Her connection to her ancestors is strong and part of the reason for her to pursue a career in arcane spellcasting, though she tries to mix things up when she can.

Party will include a swindling Human rogue who tries to pass off randomly thrown together substances as potions (alignment NE), an Elvish Druid (alignment not known by me yet), and a human monk (well, at least I know they will be Lawful), the DM is excited to have a diverse group of alignments.

The world is one in which He and I have created (three continents each), where each continent contains one dragon who rules it or is the primary reason it is in the state it is in (there are other dragons, but only 6 major ones)

I don't know why I decided to post more info on the character honestly, think it was mostly for the sake of showing where my logic and question was coming from.

Thank you for the answer though, this will be a great help

EDIT: Thinking about what you have presented me with and the information, I am going to go Wiz/WuJ. Spontaneous casting isn't my thing I decided. Thank you for the great info