PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] About gestalt.

Yael
2013-06-02, 08:48 PM
So, me and my friends are starting a new campaign soon, and we decided to go gestalt.

We accorded that we need a tank, a primary caster, a healer and an expert.

The expert is getting levels of rogue and DanDwiki's Gunslinger base class (I would rather go PF's gunslinger, even if it's not that good).

The healer is going Cleric/Favored Soul (dunno).

The tank is going to be a Druid with ranger.

And mine is the post of the caster.

We are not going to run a high powered campaign, it's only for fun.
Only 2 of us are ''not-that-new'' to the game, the other two are somewhat newbies (they've only played three games so far).

So, I don't know which gestalt to take.
I though about going elven wizard for fulfilling every role that a wizard can take (without optimization) and filling with monk levels (because of the saves, unarmed strikes and blablabla). I KNOW that monk is a not-that-good class that lies in tier 5, but I want to play him. We're going good aligned, so: any suggestions for a Gestalt Monk/Wizard? We're starting level 5, by the way.

thethird
2013-06-02, 08:51 PM
Take carmendine monk or kung fu genius to alleviate madness, consider taking only 2 levels of monk before jumping into swordsage (you can prc later into jade phoenix mage, which is nice). Check greater mighty wallops (or the normal version)...

A_S
2013-06-02, 08:58 PM
Enlightened Fist (a monk/arcanist gish class) has some cool class features, but it's usually ignored due to lost caster levels. In gestalt, though, you can solve that just by taking regular caster levels (Wizard in this case) on the other side of the build at the same time.

One thing that I think is possible in gestalt but not in normal would be using Spellwarp Sniper to transform AoE spells into rays, then using Enlightened Fist's Hold Ray feature to punch people with them. How would you like to do 1d6/CL Force damage and no-save-just-daze for one round on top of your normal attack routine (using Wings of Flurry). If you go Wizard, though, you'd need to work to get it onto your spell list.

There's plenty of other things that are good turned into rays, though.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 08:59 PM
Monk is great in gestalt on a wizard. Just grab Kung Fu Genius for Int to AC and then basically ignore your Monk levels, all you will use is the better AB, the better saves, the 2 extra skill points per level (and better class skills), the better HD, and the enhanced movement speed. The SR might be kinda nice but it generally is more trouble than it is worth.

Now for even more fun put three, eight, eleven, or sixteen levels of Factotum on that side along.

Wiz 5/Wiz PrC 10/ Wiz PrC 5//Factotum 1 (more skill points)/Monk 2/Warlock 2/Factotum 15/ Swordsage 2

Take Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Int to HP), Kung Fu Genius (Int to AC), and Keen Intellect (Int to Will saves) and you are golden.