PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Blaster, critique my build please [PF]

getoutofhere
2013-06-02, 08:49 PM
I'm trying to make a Psion for a Forgotten Realms campaign (around the time of the Spellplague). Right now I want the main focus of the character to be around blasting (kineticist). Our party is only level 5 right now, so I haven't put anything together beyond that yet. Would someone please critique my build?

The only books available to build my psion are the following:
Advanced Player's Guide
Advanced Race Guide
AdvancedPlayersGuideErrata
Bestiary 1
Bestiary 2
Bestiary 3
Core Rulebook
GameMastery Guide
Psionics Unleashed
Ultimate Combat
Ultimate Equipment
Ultimate Magic

Anyway, here is my build:

51 point buy:
Str: 11
Dex: 18
Con: 16
Int: 20 + 2 Racial
Wis: 13
Cha: 13

Feats:
Psicrystal Affinity (Level 1 Standard)
Overchannel [Psionic] (Level 1 Psion Bonus feat)
Empower Power [Metapsionic] (Racial Bonus feat)
Talented [Psionic] (Level 3 Standard)
Psionic Meditation [Psionic] (Level 5 Psion bonus feat)
Split Ray [Level 5 Standard]

Skills:
Autohypnosis – Max
Knowledge – Max Psionics;
Psicraft – Max

Powers:
Inertial Armor
Vigor
*Open Level 1 Discipline/General Power* (Crystal Shard)
Entangling Ectoplasm
*Open Level 1 Discipline/General Power* (Energy Ray)
Share Pain
*Open Level 2 OFFENSIVE Power* (Energy Missile)
Control Sound
*Open Level 2 Discipline/General Power* (Energy Adaptation, Specified)
Time Hop
*Open Level 3 Discipline/General Power* Energy Wall

Malroth
2013-06-02, 09:04 PM
you should have an additional feat at lv 5

getoutofhere
2013-06-02, 09:33 PM
you should have an additional feat at lv 5

Thanks! I'll try to find something.

navar100
2013-06-02, 09:40 PM
There is no Concentration skill to maximize in Pathfinder. A Concentration check is d20 + caster level + casting ability score modifier.

getoutofhere
2013-06-02, 09:52 PM
There is no Concentration skill to maximize in Pathfinder. A Concentration check is d20 + caster level + casting ability score modifier.

Thank you! I think it needs to be changed to autohypnosis.

Malroth
2013-06-02, 11:34 PM
I'd grab Expanded Knowledge (share Pain) to double your effective HP by shunting half your damage to your psycrystals hardness score.

Katana1515
2013-06-03, 07:44 AM
Metapsionic Split ray is a good feat for blasters, an overchannelled energy ray should do 8d6 +8 damage at level 5, which is not bad at all. (assuming my math is right)

getoutofhere
2013-06-03, 04:04 PM
Metapsionic Split ray is a good feat for blasters, an overchannelled energy ray should do 8d6 +8 damage at level 5, which is not bad at all. (assuming my math is right)

You can do that with 6 pp?

TuggyNE
2013-06-03, 07:48 PM
You can do that with 6 pp?

Yep; augment energy ray to 4pp for 4d6+4 damage (assuming cold or fire), then add Split Psionic Ray for another 2pp and expending focus, using Overchannel for +1 ML at the cost of 1d8 HP (or use Talented to avoid the HP cost, if you have two focuses to expend).

Total: 8d6+8 cold/fire damage, 6pp, either 1 psionic focus and 1d8 HP or 2 psionic focuses.

getoutofhere
2013-06-03, 07:54 PM
Yep; augment energy ray to 4pp for 4d6+4 damage (assuming cold or fire), then add Split Psionic Ray for another 2pp and expending focus, using Overchannel for +1 ML at the cost of 1d8 HP (or use Talented to avoid the HP cost, if you have two focuses to expend).

Total: 8d6+8 cold/fire damage, 6pp, either 1 psionic focus and 1d8 HP or 2 psionic focuses.

Outstanding! I had to re-read Split Ray, I didn't realize you could have two rays affect the same target. That's pretty awesome.