PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Your Best/Favorite Out-of-Combat/Utility Sor/Wiz Spell of 4th level

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-02, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Plot has our group searching for answers to our plot problems, so I'm fishing for possibilities that haven't crossed my mind. Meanwhile, my character has just acquired 4th level spells from the Sor/Wiz spell list. Yay! But it's a crazy ton of info to deal with. My character casts as a wizard, and has access to mountains of gold and just about any spell or item ever published with some price attached.

So, I'm looking for nifty things that are possible with spells of this level, your favorite combos, exploits, and so forth. Combat spells/combos/tricks are cool, but since we are epic level, they will likely have minimal impact on the boss fights. Thus, I'm mainly looking for out-of-combat stuff.

Thanks again, everyone, and have a nice day/night.:smallsmile:

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-02, 09:39 PM
Dimension Door. No contest.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-02, 09:44 PM
Dimension Door. No contest.

Added. Extra coolness due to my monk's Sun School/Snap Kick tricksies, hehe.

EDIT: Though that no actions clause of the actual dim door spell might make that synergy impossible. Oh well, I'm already packing Abrupt Jaunt, Shadow Stride, and Shadow Blink.:smallwink:

Humble Master
2013-06-02, 09:47 PM
Dimensional Door: A very good spell for getting around/through walls, runnign away or just about anything.

Minor Creation: Make Black Lotus Extract, sell it, get filthy stinkin' rich.

Polymorph: Yes it can be used in combat but there are a lot of other non combat uses. Basically, this spell is limited only by how many Monster Manuals you have excess to.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 09:48 PM
Resilient Sphere, the best fourth level spell in the game and one of the few low level spells that really contributes in epic.

DD is nice but since it ends your turn immediate after use it's not so good in epic

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-02, 09:52 PM
Dimensional Door: A very good spell for getting around/through walls, runnign away or just about anything.

Minor Creation: Make Black Lotus Extract, sell it, get filthy stinkin' rich.

Polymorph: Yes it can be used in combat but there are a lot of other non combat uses. Basically, this spell is limited only by how many Monster Manuals you have excess to.

Anyone know good out-of-combat polymorph forms? Like can I polymorph into Midgard Dwarves, or whatever those crafter dwarves are?

Resilient Sphere, the best fourth level spell in the game and one of the few low level spells that really contributes in epic.

DD is nice but since it ends your turn immediate after use it's not so good in epic

Added. Thanks, Tippy.:smallwink:

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-02, 10:03 PM
Anyone know good out-of-combat polymorph forms? Like can I polymorph into Midgard Dwarves, or whatever those crafter dwarves are?

You want Shapechange for most everything remotely useful in epic.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-02, 10:12 PM
You want Shapechange for most everything remotely useful in epic.

Hmm, I will suggest it to the full casters. I am mainly looking for stuff to enhance my strategic, not tactical abilities. Worth looking forward to, anyway. The other casters have Epic Spellcasting, so anything normal spells can't do is still pretty much achievable (the DM has been pretty easy-going with the high-grade mitigation cheese...no experience in the campaign means it's just debit card, develop epic spell, debit card, develop epic spell...you get the idea).

Hmm. Gating for normal monsters is out (DnD universe imploded), but I guess one could still shapechange into some kind of outsider to use SLAs. Hmmm. Ah well.

Cruiser1
2013-06-02, 10:53 PM
Best 4th level Wizard utility spell: Shadow Conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm). Versatility for the win: Take your pick of any 0-3rd level Sor/Wiz spell. :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2013-06-03, 08:26 AM
Added. Extra coolness due to my monk's Sun School/Snap Kick tricksies, hehe.

EDIT: Though that no actions clause of the actual dim door spell might make that synergy impossible. Oh well, I'm already packing Abrupt Jaunt, Shadow Stride, and Shadow Blink.:smallwink:

Well actually, it works quite well, 'cause Sun School doesn't give you an action, it just gives you an attack. Dimension Door only prevents actions so problem solved (also, it's specifically written to work with Dimension Door).

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-03, 09:58 AM
There are Polymorph handbooks, yaknow.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519.0

Chronos
2013-06-03, 10:13 AM
Extended Shrink Item. Throwing Colossal-scale darts is always fun, as well as all the other uses.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-03, 06:29 PM
There are Polymorph handbooks, yaknow.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519.0

Nice link. Thanks again, everyone.

Spuddles
2013-06-03, 07:10 PM
Phantom Steed is hard to beat for traveling rapidly. Improved Invisibility, though that's more of a combat spell. Hallucinatory Terrain can be pretty badass.

Resilient Sphere is alright, though having to target a creature with it makes it of somewhat limited use. I suppose you could carry a pet rat or something with you, and just use that.

Best 4th level Wizard utility spell: Shadow Conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm). Versatility for the win: Take your pick of any 0-3rd level Sor/Wiz spell. :smallsmile:

If it allows a will save, it doesn't work on objects. Shadow Conjuration/Evocation spells are pretty trash without prestige classes.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-03, 07:39 PM
Phantom Steed is hard to beat for traveling rapidly. Improved Invisibility, though that's more of a combat spell. Hallucinatory Terrain can be pretty badass.

Resilient Sphere is alright, though having to target a creature with it makes it of somewhat limited use. I suppose you could carry a pet rat or something with you, and just use that.

Funny Story: My monk almost outpaces a phantom steed. :smallcool: Nice for long-distance stuff, but she can also fly and is immune to fatigue, so it's really only useful for conserving/improving action economy. If the DM was more hardcore, I'd be more worried, but the campaign is heavily plot-based (more fluff, less crunch). Might be worth picking up for the sheer utility, though...and I can afford every spell ever written, and have some simulacra or something copy it into the spellbook.

Ah, the beauty of epic levels.

Spuddles
2013-06-03, 07:41 PM
Phantom Steed for your allies?

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-03, 08:05 PM
I guess the Space Marine can't teleport or anything. Guess I could use it for him.

We almost never do anything less than group greater teleport, though, or windwalk or the like. We used to have an airship, but it got blown up.

Surely it's worth some scrolls, though.

dspeyer
2013-06-04, 01:00 AM
If it allows a will save, it doesn't work on objects. Shadow Conjuration/Evocation spells are pretty trash without prestige classes.

Saves are only a problem for offensive uses. Need to slip through something? Shadow Grease. Need something to climb? Shadow Web. Need to ride? Shadow Phantom Steed. Need a lava pool explored? Shadow Summon Fire Elemental. Also, AFAICT Shadow Glitterdust works as well as the real thing. And that's just core.

I think Polymorph is still better, though. Whatever this character's speciality is, there's got to be something in a monster manual that can do it better. And you can cast it on your friends too.

TuggyNE
2013-06-04, 01:30 AM
Saves are only a problem for offensive uses. Need to slip through something? Shadow Grease. Need something to climb? Shadow Web. Need to ride? Shadow Phantom Steed. Need a lava pool explored? Shadow Summon Fire Elemental. Also, AFAICT Shadow Glitterdust works as well as the real thing. And that's just core.

Nah, shadow glitterdust has two saves instead of one. (And I think you can avoid the Hide penalty some of the time if you make the first save.)

Spuddles
2013-06-04, 02:21 AM

I think Polymorph is still better, though. Whatever this character's speciality is, there's got to be something in a monster manual that can do it better. And you can cast it on your friends too.

Except I'd rather not waste a 4th level slot on all that crap. I guess at epic levels, why not.

Crake
2013-06-04, 05:09 AM

I don't think that spell does what you think it does. "any 0-3rd level Sor/Wiz spell" isn't covered by that spell. Any Conjuration (Summoning) or (Creation) is what that spell covers; a significantly smaller set of spells.