PDA

View Full Version : As luck may have it...

EndlessWrath
2013-06-03, 12:34 AM
So playgrounders. I come to you not to brag or go on and on about this. I don't wish to bore or to drone. Today I was faced with terror and danger and brief moments of stillness and miraculous results. So I share this because I cannot yet share it elsewhere.

A Ford Ranger was going 66mph on a highway (speed limit 65). The Rear wheel of the vehicle blew out and the car did a harsh turn as the driver desperately tried to regain control of the vehicle. In seconds the car had rolled 5 or 6 times into a ditch right before the treeline and stopped in place. Glass was everywhere, the car was totaled, and for a brief moment the driver sat in his seat, still buckled in. Within 30 seconds a car pulled over and a physician and an assistant who were (I assume) heading to work or lunch or something. They helped the man out of the car which was leaking a large amount of gas since the tank had ruptured. Another man came out of his car and assisted by calling 911 and helping keep the young man's neck straight. The young victim bore only one clear sign of injury...a laceration just above his forehead. The responders searched through the truck to find the young man's phone(s) and his wallet to alleviate the victims concerns and worries despite the possibility of fire.. Of course the ambulance shows up and helps take the victim to the hospital. 2 hours later he's released from the hospital. No broken bones, no other cuts, no concussion or sprains or torn muscles. Nothing. Just the cut on his head and maybe a couple bruises.

If you haven't figured out by this point... I'm the young man in this story. This happened to me today as I drove off to work. I'm okay, and I just want to thank those nameless and kindhearted people who were on the scene first...in addition to the paramedics and other emergency officials. Through some miraculous occurrence...I survived a wreck I could have died in...with no real injuries. I couldn't be luckier or more thankful.
-Wrath

TaiLiu
2013-06-03, 12:43 AM
Oh, that is wonderful! I am glad you are alive, Comrade. :smallsmile:

factotum
2013-06-03, 01:47 AM
Sounds like amazing luck (well, apart from the whole tyre blowing out in the first place thing). May it continue!

Lycan 01
2013-06-03, 01:55 AM
That's insane! :smalleek: It's great to hear you're okay, and that several people were willing to stop and help you. Did you happen to get their names or anything like that, or get a chance to thank them for their help?

EndlessWrath
2013-06-03, 08:42 AM
That's insane! :smalleek: It's great to hear you're okay, and that several people were willing to stop and help you. Did you happen to get their names or anything like that, or get a chance to thank them for their help?

I did not manage to get their names. My parents arrived around the time I was being brought into the ambulance. The woman had called my parents using my phone (under "Mom" in my contact list). She called back later that day to make sure I was okay. I'm going to try and call her today to let her know how grateful I am. :smallbiggrin: I have no illusions as to how lucky I am. I am quite lucky to just be alive, let alone what good condition I am in. We're going to go check the wreck out today. Hopefully I'll find my missing ipod... but if not oh well.

-Wrath

Silverbit
2013-06-03, 01:28 PM
Sheesh, that could have been much worse than it was, and it looks like it was pretty bad already. The fact that people were willing to help you has restored some of my battered faith in humanity.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-03, 01:53 PM
My goodness! I'm glad you are alright! Do you know what the cut on your forehead was for?

Don Julio Anejo
2013-06-03, 01:54 PM
Dude, just... wow. Glad to know you're okay.

EndlessWrath
2013-06-03, 02:49 PM
Yes. We believe the cut was from the shattered pane of glass behind me (back window). Luckily it was only a small cut (at most 1cm deep).

We checked out the truck today. Found my ipod under the seat. It still works! despite the torrential rain from the night before. Also found a saw, powerdrill, and 2 full tool bags of stuff in the backseat :smalleek: Ah well. Took lots of photos! I'll see if I can post one

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-03, 02:54 PM
Holy crap Endlesswraith - I had a very similar wreck about ~8 years ago myself <@.@> Glad you're safe! I forget the explanation that was given to me, but I was told repeatedly I should check back with my doctor within a couple weeks just to be on the safe side. The shear force of a car flipping or rolling is pretty tremendous >.<

(My wreck was my fault rather than a tire blowing though; but the end result was very similar - I flipped end-over-end through a barbed wire fence into a slot between two trees. Had the car been just a little to the left or right I would have been crushed. Fun times! <@_@>)

EndlessWrath
2013-06-03, 05:46 PM
(My wreck was my fault rather than a tire blowing though; but the end result was very similar - I flipped end-over-end through a barbed wire fence into a slot between two trees. Had the car been just a little to the left or right I would have been crushed. Fun times! <@_@>)

Holy cow that's terrifying! Im glad you are okay. I was quite fortunate to walk out of the truck and far more fortunate no one else was around.

The Succubus
2013-06-04, 06:52 AM
Seatbelts are fricking awesome things. =)

Killer Angel
2013-06-04, 12:42 PM
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Glad you're OK! :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2013-06-04, 02:52 PM
So when did you first learn you were indestructible?

EndlessWrath
2013-06-05, 02:21 AM
Seatbelts are fricking awesome things. =)

Yes. Without it I would have broken something or been launched out the vehicle.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Glad you're OK! :smallsmile:

That it is! I'm rather fortunate. My arm started outside the vehicle (resting out the window) and ended up protecting my head from damage.

So when did you first learn you were indestructible?

Well, when the meteor strike fell upon the nuclear power plant I was playing baseball next to...I found new powers and strength! Mildmannered child is turned into...!:smalltongue:

Actually its funny, I received that question from my father today. He also asked if I do not feel pain :smallconfused:. As a child I went to the hospital 3 or 4 times... never cried or showed any real wincing of pain. Not whilst being awake while they restitched my head (24 stitches), not when they had to reconstruct my lip and not when I broke my arm. :smallamused: I feel like the Overly Manly Man meme... except with needles. Can't do them at all. Its not a psychological thing as much as its physical. The piercing pain for me is 10x worse any bludgeoning I receive. :smalleek:

-Wrath

Flickerdart
2013-06-05, 02:26 AM
Actually its funny, I actually received that question from my father today. He also asked if I do not feel pain :smallconfused:. As a child I went to the hospital 3 or 4 times... never cried or showed any real wincing of pain. Not whilst being awake while they restitched my head (24 stitches), not when they had to reconstruct my lip and not when I broke my arm. :smallamused: I feel like the Overly Manly Man meme... except with needles. Can't do them at all. Its not :smalleek:

So you have an origin story (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperheroOrigin) and a kryptonite factor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KryptoniteFactor)...or should I say, weaksauce weakness? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeaksauceWeakness)

Totally a superhero.

EndlessWrath
2013-06-05, 11:22 PM
So you have an origin story (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperheroOrigin) and a kryptonite factor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KryptoniteFactor)...or should I say, weaksauce weakness? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeaksauceWeakness)

Totally a superhero.

As long as I'm not Mr. Immortal... than its all good.
-Wrath

Killer Angel
2013-06-06, 06:07 AM
On a related note: once I had a car accident, not as bad as your but still impressive, and went out almost without injuries.
My father's comment was: I'm lucky that a saw you before seeing how it was ruined the car, otherwise I would have feared the worst for you...

EndlessWrath
2013-06-06, 08:02 PM
On a related note: once I had a car accident, not as bad as your but still impressive, and went out almost without injuries.
My father's comment was: I'm lucky that a saw you before seeing how it was ruined the car, otherwise I would have feared the worst for you...

yeaaaaah...My father, mother, girlfriend and her mother all say the truck and delayed traffic before seeing me inside the ambulance/ hospital bed...they were scared to death
-Wrath

Silverrida
2013-06-07, 02:31 PM
I am incredibly happy to hear that you are okay, and to hear that people are still kind enough to help out in random crashes.

Although this whole situation is tumultuous it was auspicious that you didn't get permanently injured or severely hurt.

Glad in the end it worked out :)