PDA

View Full Version : Barghest Dilemma?

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 01:57 AM
Hi, it seems that after an unfortunate attack on my Human Wizard (Which killed him 1 hit) I was reincarnated by my party.
It so happens that I rolled extremely well and had to roll again. The result being a female barghest.

What kind of Ability Adjustments am I looking at?

Also what are the chances of being accepted once again into the party/group?
These are my fellow party members:Elf Wizard/Druid, Rakasta Ranger/sorceror, Human Ranger, Human Cleric, Dwarf Rogue, Lupin Fighter, Lupin Barbarian, Lupin Cleric, Human Psion.

The Rakasta and the Dwarf were very insistent on bringing me back. The Elf was against it (naturally).
No one else knows about the change (in game).

Rhynn
2013-06-03, 02:09 AM
What edition of D&D? This is the wrong sub-forum in any case.

The 3.5 barghest (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/monstersBtoC.html#barghest)'s ability adjustments are Str +6, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4.

Since your DM made you a barghest, he's going to have to settle the obvious issues raised by the Feed special ability. I'd never let a player play a barghest; Feed is probably the main reason they've got LA —. You're basically gonna have +12 HD and another +12 to Str and Con (for +18 and +14 total) and +18 natural armor automatically; slaying 12 humanoids to devour is trivial. (Makes you wonder how barghests ever spend enough time not having 18 HD to be fought by PCs.)

Slipperychicken
2013-06-03, 02:17 AM
Your character is a human-turned-wolfman in a party (among other things) containing 3 wolfmen and a catman. You should be fine. Worst comes to worst, you stay in Goblin form and pretend you rezzed as a Goblin.

Feed is actually a boon. You don't have to eat anyone with it, that's completely optional. You could choose to go your whole Barghest life without using the Feed ability. And it's good for when you don't want your enemies to come back to life (and be real here, why would you ever want your enemies to come back?).

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 02:19 AM
We play a 3.5 "homebrew", basically we don't have alignment in our game and reincarnate changes the body not the mind.
So I'm a good wizard that would be disgusted at the thought of eating another person.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-03, 02:24 AM
So I'm a good wizard that would be disgusted at the thought of eating another person.

And you never have to unless your DM is terrible.

Also, being a Barghest means you have the [Lawful] and [Evil] subtypes, so you might want to cast Undetectable Alignment or something. The Outsider type does open up some sweet Alter Self options like Dwarf Ancestor, and makes you immune to some spells.

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 02:28 AM
As I said slippery, I don't even have to worry about that. He removed alignment so I don't have to worry about being detected as Good/ Evil. They would be distrusting at first, but I can probably bribe my way in with the promise of magic items.

The Glyphstone
2013-06-03, 02:30 AM
If reincarnation only changes the body and leaves the mind, and this is a known fact in the world...why wouldn't your party members accept you back in your new meatsuit? And if they wouldn't, why would the specific meatsuit you're wearing have any effect on the decision?

Slipperychicken
2013-06-03, 02:35 AM
If reincarnation only changes the body and leaves the mind, and this is a known fact in the world...why wouldn't your party members accept you back in your new meatsuit? And if they wouldn't, why would the specific meatsuit you're wearing have any effect on the decision?

Even if the form is icky, you can just go Goblin-mode to be more sociable.

ShadowDarknos
2013-06-03, 02:44 AM
Because Elves are *****? XD I kid. From a rational standpoint it would bring about interesting issues if you thought of it in a realistic way. Just because something is rumored does not mean it is fully true. & Bringing the dead back to the world of the living in and of itself could drastically alter things in a person in a few ways.

A) The argument could easily be made he would have different urges and impulses now.

B) The effects of bringing back a person could alter their personality and how they view the world & bring about many inter-personal questions and faith in the groups ability to actually survive and trust in his companions.

B1. Does he give into his new impulses because he would feel it will make him stronger so that he does not once again die. If Yes or No; Why does he feel this way and how does he deal with such thoughts.

B2. Does he resent the group even though they brought him back from the dead does he feel something could have been done to prevent it or blame another member for his death?

In short think of Jason Todd from Batman for those of you who read comics. Referencing Under The Red Hood and his progression since then. There are many ways this could effect the group and opens up alot of role-playing opportunities. Though I haven't played in like 3 years :( sadly wish I could find a game near me

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 07:17 AM

Well I'm relatively new to the party as a character, in game about 2-4wks.
The only friendly relationship I have created is with the Dwarf, The Rakasta has ulterior motives (out of character), the Elf thinks me to be rude and most everyone else thought I was useless because I reserved my spells (rather than wasting them on things they could easily handle).

@ShadowDarknos
A- I've believed that to, am I going to have fight the urge to consume a body?
B- My character suffers from the Curious flaw, so he's going to explore the hell out of his "New" "Female" body and the fact that he was brought back ( by the people who wanted it done) with a lot of trouble, he's going to be especially grateful to them.
B1- I guess it depends how far the DM wants me to go with it....I don't know how specific the new body is going to be. Am I going to fight for control over my own mind? Will the beastly intellect/instinct cause conflict?
B2- He died because he did something he shouldn't have....He tried to help the party while they were finishing off a dragon (Long story short, Tried to find the thing that was stopping some types of spells and he set off a trap that cast Summon Monster V).
He doesn't blame anyone in the party.

Keneth
2013-06-03, 07:34 AM
Where's the dilemma? Oh, you meant "predicament"...

Yes, I do like being a grammar nazi. Why do you ask?

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 07:35 AM
That to. =P

BWR
2013-06-03, 07:58 AM
Rakasta Lupin Lupin Lupin

Yay, Mystara races!

Honestly, you have a much better idea of what your fellow players and their PCs think than we do. We cannot predict how the players will react since we do not know them. Really, it boils down to if they are going to kill you because of your body or if they accept you because of your mind.

Most settings have goblins and fiends as rather unpleasant sorts, so even if you are accepted by your party you will have a hard time in the world at large.

Blood_of_Denial
2013-06-03, 08:05 AM
Yay, Mystara races!

Honestly, you have a much better idea of what your fellow players and their PCs think than we do. We cannot predict how the players will react since we do not know them. Really, it boils down to if they are going to kill you because of your body or if they accept you because of your mind.

Most settings have goblins and fiends as rather unpleasant sorts, so even if you are accepted by your party you will have a hard time in the world at large.

Thats the Universe we're in, The campaign being the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. I guess I was looking for arguments I could make against the party to not kill me.
As for my appearance...I was thinking a ring of alter self....Or something similar.

BWR
2013-06-03, 09:50 AM
I think the best you could come up with is "seriously, don't be ***** about this".
Some suspencion of disbelief and often some amount of comprimising is necessary for a group, both PCs and players, to work together. The people who sabotage the game for others by saying "it's what my character would do" really need to ask themselves if it's worth making everyone uncomfortable and screwing over other players.

Sure, roleplay some initial distrust and minor abuse from your fellow PCs, but if the players are going to throw your PC out of the group over this, I think they are being mean just to be mean.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-03, 11:24 AM
Sure, roleplay some initial distrust and minor abuse from your fellow PCs, but if the players are going to throw your PC out of the group over this, I think they are being mean just to be mean.

"Oh no. A wolfman like me could never accept a wolf-shaped person as a companion! Even though our races' whole fluff is about trust, community, and loyalty, and we performed this dark ritual in full knowledge that it would change his form, this purely cosmetic change is truly intolerable!"

Seriously, think about how stupid that sounds. Explain it to your party OOC and also that you're getting a bunch of stat buffs. Or just lie and say you rezzed as a Goblin while remaining in Goblin form.

Another idea: Grab a PaO scroll and polymorph yourself back into a human. TA DA! All fixed.