PDA

View Full Version : Spells to cast while in a Time Stop

AlanBruce
2013-06-03, 04:22 AM
Greetings! My players will be facing a high level transmuter who has Time stope prepared. I have read on the spell and, while extremely useful as an escape, I cannot think of any spells that could seriously debuff the "frozen" PCs during the short term duration of this transmutation.

I know they cannot be affected by targeted spells, so that leaves a targeted GDM out of the question. Area dispels are fair game, but they can only strip away 1 buff.

Summoning help and buffing it with heroism, for instance, is good.

Escape is always an alternative, but this boss is quite confident on her success, so she won't try and escape.

Any ideas for spells )ideally area ones) to severely debuff the PCs so when they "unfreeze" they have not only a small group of critters ready to pounce, but some of their abilities are gone?

Thank you very much in advance.

Juntao112
2013-06-03, 04:44 AM
PAO the ground they stand on into aqua regia.

AlanBruce
2013-06-03, 05:02 AM
I like the aqua regia idea. A nasty welcome for when the spells ends. Wikipedia says it dissolves metals. In d&d would it be treated as immersion in acid?

Any rules to dissolve armor?

The party is as follows:

DMM Persist Cleric

Ultimate Magus

Beguiler/Homebrew PrC/Mindbender/druid half fey

Hombrewed warlock, lesser aasimar.

They are all level 14, with the magus being 15th, but all of them highly optimized.

None are airborne right now. Of the four, only the cleric stays grounded unless the UM casts fly on him. And of the four, only the warlock and cleric wear metal.

Norin
2013-06-03, 05:40 AM
For some easy damage, delayed blast fire balls ( with your choise of metamagic and energy admixture or substitution) will work well i suppose?

AlanBruce
2013-06-03, 05:45 AM
The DBF with energy admixture are a nice touch. sadly, this transmuter banned evocation.

I was looking at Ring of Fire, from exemplars of Evil. Nice effect. An ever growing area and decent damage. The fliers will probably get burnt after the first round and then go airborne, but the cleric is the main problem here, with his insanely high bonuses due to DMM.

ryzouken
2013-06-03, 06:29 AM
Cloudkill+G Shadow Evocation (Forcecube)
Reverse Gravity+Gate
Greater Shadow Evocation (Delayed Blast Fireball)
Symbol spells (Death, Blindness, etc.)
Any calling/summoning spells
Maw of Chaos
Buff spells
other stuff?

Hamste
2013-06-03, 06:54 AM
Ready action GDM for the second the time stop deactivates for that extra little bit of annoyance.

Vaz
2013-06-03, 07:08 AM
Invisible + Metamagick'd Delayed Blast Fireballs

Changing form into something REALLY REALLY SMALL (Shapechange into Fine) and hiding out of sight, while peppering them with tons of spells like above to keep out of sight and sound.

Jack_Simth
2013-06-03, 07:26 AM
Greetings! My players will be facing a high level transmuter who has Time stope prepared. I have read on the spell and, while extremely useful as an escape, I cannot think of any spells that could seriously debuff the "frozen" PCs during the short term duration of this transmutation.

I know they cannot be affected by targeted spells, so that leaves a targeted GDM out of the question. Area dispels are fair game, but they can only strip away 1 buff.

... under normal circumstances, an Area Dispel is not fair game, as it's an instantaneous effect, to which they're immune.

Summoning help and buffing it with heroism, for instance, is good.

Escape is always an alternative, but this boss is quite confident on her success, so she won't try and escape.

Any ideas for spells )ideally area ones) to severely debuff the PCs so when they "unfreeze" they have not only a small group of critters ready to pounce, but some of their abilities are gone?

Thank you very much in advance.

The standards are self-buffs, ally-summoning (although this arguably does not work), and combat control. So things like Transmute Rock to Mud on the ceiling (followed by a quick Dispel Magic on the Transmute Rock to Mud once it's hit the party) is a go, solid fog is a go, Transmute Rock to Lava (Complete Arcane) is a go, Summon Elemental Monolith is probably a go.

Note that Summoning spells in a time stop also go well with hiding spells. When the Transmuter stops time, casts Greater Invisibility on himself, steps back, and Summons a massive beast in the space the Transmuter just occupied, most people will assume the transmuter changed into the beast.

ArcaneGlyph
2013-06-03, 07:58 AM
Rock to mud + Mass Reduce Person on them.. that should be a fun swim.

Humble Master
2013-06-03, 08:11 AM
Cast Gate.
Put one end under the enemy, the other end in the Plane of Fire/Negative Energy Plane/ any other sutably hazardous plane.
Spend the rest of the Time Stop summoning a personal army.
When Time Stop ends the PC's will fall into the plane of your choice.
Now you have even more time to buff the crud out of your personal army (assuming the PC's can teleport out of the plane).

Raven777
2013-06-03, 08:28 AM
PAO the ground under their feet into Chlorine Trifluoride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride) (a.k.a The Scourge of God).

Icewraith
2013-06-03, 12:39 PM
some general things:

Wall of fire/force/stone/GDM

Twinned maximized Vortex of Teeth

Forcecage

Summon Monster/Gate

Acid/Solid/Freezing Fog or Evard's Black Tentacles

Resilient Sphere

Transmute Rock to Lava

Illusions

Any personal buff, also personal defensive things like prismatic sphere/globe of invulnerability. Note V's use of Time Stop in the comic, Fire Shield, Stoneskin, Haste, etc are all good.

Edit:

Cast a wall of GDM in front of them and then summon an air elemental or other monster to blow/bullrush/push them through it.

Studoku
2013-06-03, 12:45 PM
Gating in something massive that you can't control and teleporting away is always fun.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-06-03, 12:46 PM
Polymorph yourself into either a combat form or a super defensive form.

Summons, if you wanted you could just cast 1d4+1 summon monster VII-VIII's.

Polymorph the ground.

Battlefield control-Evards, Kelgore's grave mist, cloudkill, solid fog, force cage, wall of stone+stoneshape, etc.

Moar Timestop!

nedz
2013-06-03, 01:07 PM
Wall of Water, with some sharks summoned inside it, is funny.

Add some Walls of Force/Forcecage to make a PC themed aquarium.

AlanBruce
2013-06-03, 07:35 PM
The battle has been going well. Thank you so much for the ideas! The ring of fire is a great spell, as was area dispels on the Pcs, followed by some fire resistant summons.