PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Monks and Concentration Skill

Duke of Urrel
2013-06-03, 08:55 AM
As far as I can see, the version-3.5 monk has neither spells nor spell-like abilities. Why, then, does the monk have Concentration as a class skill?

Here's a more interesting question. Does the presence of Concentration as a class skill for monks suggest something we might do to strengthen this notoriously underpowered class?

CRtwenty
2013-06-03, 09:04 AM
Jeez, I never noticed that they had that. Just more proof that WotC phoned in the design for Monk I guess. Anyway short of giving the monk SLA's there's absolutely no reason for them to have it.

Eldariel
2013-06-03, 09:05 AM
As far as I can see, the version-3.5 monk has neither spells nor spell-like abilities. Why, then, does the monk have Concentration as a class skill?

Concentration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm):
You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity.

This actually hurts Rogue-types quite a bit in many scenarios.

Here's a more interesting question. Does the presence of Concentration as a class skill for monks suggest something we might do to strengthen this notoriously underpowered class?

Not really; they could get the Diamond Mind maneuvers to replace saves with Concentration-checks but saves are the least of Monk's problems (the only genuinely strong thing the class has in addition to Unarmed Damage Dice).

They could also get the Diamond Mind maneuvers to deal Concentration damage but for that, eh, might as well make a Swordsage. Would be kinda feat-intensive anyways. Plus, Monks don't have enough skill points or the opportunity to rate Int highly to start with; what are you gonna give up for Concentration, Hide or Move Silently or Spot or Listen or Tumble or Balance, for instance?

sonofzeal
Most DMs don't use it much, but technically there's other times when Concentration comes into play, notably when taking damage while otherwise engaged in something important. Say, climbing up a wall while archers pump arrows into your backside. Or trying to unlock a door while some axe-wielding maniac attempts to bifurcate you.

Azernak0
My guess? Entirely RP. When I think "Monk" as it pertains to a fantasy setting, I think about the person that can read a sacred scroll while a child beats their head with a stick.

eggynack
2013-06-03, 09:06 AM
Concentration can also be used on skill checks. It's not the most commonly used effect, but it means that you can give concentration to monks without it being completely useless.

Edit: Whoa, that was some crazy swordsaging. Just... so much stabbing.

CRtwenty
2013-06-03, 09:11 AM
But how many skills do Monks have that would provoke AoOs? They're not like Rogues who might be trying to unlock a door during combat or something. Pretty much any skills they have that would provoke an AoO during use are movement skills that would provoke AoOs anyway.

Eldariel
2013-06-03, 09:14 AM
But how many skills do Monks have that would provoke AoOs? They're not like Rogues who might be trying to unlock a door during combat or something. Pretty much any skills they have that would provoke an AoO during use are movement skills that would provoke AoOs anyway.

Climb, Balance, in general mobility skills. Whether Jump requires Concentration is not entirely clear since they're done as a part of a move action and while moving (through any means, be it jumping or walking) does provoke, the action of jumping itself does not provoke, but a case could be made for it requiring Concentration too (indeed, it would be pretty hard to do those D&D-style super-olympic jumps without focus if I need to be in a Zen-state to clear 6 meters in long jump).

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-03, 09:21 AM
The SRD states: "You must make a Concentration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm) check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include...using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity." It goes on to state: "If the Concentration check succeeds, you may continue with the action as normal. If the check fails, the action automatically fails and is wasted...A skill use also fails, and in some cases a failed skill check may have other ramifications as well."

Among the listed actions that provoke attacks of opportunity are:

Making a ranged attack, including using a thrown weapon. (Yep, using those shuriken while standing in a threatened space does provoke an Attack of Opportunity. Although most DMs don't enforce the full rules for this, technically you provoke an Attack of Opportunity by making a thrown weapon attack, then need to make a Concentration check to continue with the action, and then if your Concentration check succeeds you can make the ranged attack.)
Using a skill that takes 1 action. (Okay, so most Monk skills don't take 1 action, but you never know when your Monk is going to need to make a rushed diplomacy check during combat while standing in a threatened space.)
Moving out of a threatened space. (If your monk is moving out of a threatened space using his Climb, Jump, or Swim skill, he would technically need to make a concentration check or automatically fail his climb, jump, or swim check.)

Not a lot of DMs enforce all of the rules for Concentration checks, which is why it often seems the skill has no purpose other than for casting spells defensively.

Edit: swordsaged!

Chronos
2013-06-03, 10:10 AM
I think that in 3.0, Abundant Step and maybe one or two other Monk abilities were (sp), so they gave them the Concentration skill for those. Nowadays, though, it looks like those are all (su), and I'm guessing that they still have Concentration just because they forgot to remove it.

Keld Denar
2013-06-03, 10:37 AM
Hey, it helps your Monk/PsyWar qualify for Tash and get a head start on being able to become psionically focused. I'm not complaining.

nedz
2013-06-03, 10:43 AM
It's useful for Monk based gishes.

Ruethgar
2013-06-03, 11:30 AM
The Quintessential Monk (3.0 Mongoose Publishing) allows monks to break objects and do some neat tricks of balance with concentration. I wouldn't suggest using the rest of the book though. It gets a little powerful.

Zanji feat from AEG gives blindsight out to 20ft for one round with a successful DC 25 concentration check. 7th sea has several feats requiring concentration checks including blindsense, plus to ranged attacks and self healing.

But all in all, unless you go third party, concentration is pretty much useless for a monk.

nightwyrm
2013-06-03, 11:34 AM
Pure flavour reason. They're monks. They can meditate all day. They must concentrate really well. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2013-06-03, 11:52 AM
Performing everyday actions while everyone is laughing at you? :smallbiggrin:

Honestly, seems like it would be there for pure fluff; basically, a Zen master ought to be able to Concentrate on something pretty well.