PDA

View Full Version : Gaming group format advice needed.

Bloodgruve
2013-06-03, 09:17 AM
Hey Playgrounders,

Over the last year I've volunteered at my local Library running a gaming club. For a while I had two 4-6 player groups running which I would DM for with mixed ages of 10 to late 40's. My problem is that due to life some people drop out, some bring friends and some show inconsistently. It has become increasingly challenging to run a traditional game where you want your party grow and level together.

I need a new format. I took a look at the Wizards (WotC) sponsored game night, at first I didn't think much about it but as I'm faced with a similar challenge it's starting to look more appealing. Has anyone here ever attended that type of game? (Basically loosely connected sessions, think it was named 'Encounters'.)

I'm looking for advice on how to host a game where 2 to 10 people can show up one night and not the next. I can't count on more than a few people being there each session.

Much appreciated,

Blood~

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-03, 09:40 AM
I don't know anything about the WotC game night, but did encounter a local recurring event at a game store several years back that might work for you.

The GM used a 'dungeon delve' style format. He created a pre-made group of PCs for which he had versions made for every level from 1-20. He also had a group of encounters made up across all 20 levels as well. Each week he ran one of the encounters, starting with the low-level ones and working his way up as he went. There was no XP given - when he ran out of 1st level encounters the party moved on to 2nd level encounters. Nor was there treasure given - each PC had a set of equipment made for each level and the equipment always reset between encounters (thus if he used 2 potions in an encounter they would be back in his pack when the next encounter began). He would announce at the end of each session what level the next encounter was going to be.

If a player wanted to make a PC of his own he was allowed to do so - although the GM had to approve it and all magic items were chosen by the GM. A player-made PC would replace one of the pre-made PCs, so the party was always the same size. If fewer players showed up than there were PCs, the extra PCs were run as NPCs by the GM, or one player would run multiple PCs. If more players showed up than PCs, he had several board-games along that the others were welcome to play, or they could watch the RPG.

Amphetryon
2013-06-03, 09:47 AM
As a former library volunteer DM myself, I feel for you. There's nothing quite like scrambling to deal with 16 surprise PCs one week and only 3 PCs the week after.

For D&D, I was frustrated to find it best to de-emphasize concepts like "on-going story" in favor of old-school dungeon crawls. Story-driven games grind to a shrieking halt when the guy who arranged to meet the king at last week's session suddenly disappears for a month (as an example).

Pilo
2013-06-03, 09:55 AM
I played a game like that as a player, that was nice.

As BowStreetRunner said, the DM has got some pre-generrated characters, with strong archetypes (ie if the sorcerer can blast well, why should the wizard do so.). If one or more characters have no player, they are here and can only do things that no other can do and only if asked to do so by the PCs. At the end of the session, the DM ask how the player want the character to evolve (the general idea, not which class or feat).

Ignominia
2013-06-03, 10:30 AM
Ive got to echo the "dungeon delve" idea.

In recent years the mining town of Kings Pass punched through into an open cavern complex, at first they thought little of it, until they discovered that the complex actually contained areas of worked stone, temples to gods long forgotten and unimaginable treasures. While the Temples and their gods may have been forgotten by the surface world, the caves inhabitants have not forgotten and jealously guard the secrets and treasures they consider their own.

Word of Kings Pass has spread and adventurers from all across the continent have traveled here to take a stab at what is now know as "The Deep Dark". A few enterprising Half Elves have taken it upon themselves to organize an Adventuring Guild. Calling themselves "The Dark Delvers" the help outfit new adventurers, organize "Dives" into the Deep Dark and aid groups returning from the dungeon, all for their share of the profits, of course.

This format allows you to add or subtract any amount of players each session (as adventurers come and go from the guild). You play one of the Half Elves who organizes the "Dives" and each week is a new "Dive", a one off trip into The Deep Dark. You can let players create their own characters (subject to your approval of course) and they either participate in the dive, or catch some R&R in Kings Pass! You could TRY to organize multi-week arcs as well, scheduling them well in advance, playing it off as the Dark Delvers organizing a large Dive, and just let your players know that if you are here for part 1 PLEASE make sure you can commit to part 2!

If you include any real story development, keep it light, something that can be communicated by players easily. Using this format, you should almost be able to replicate the Guild atmosphere among the Players and not just their characters...("Gee, Mr Cleric, we sure coulda used you last Dive! We dropped into a cavern full of zombies!") Hopefully building a team atmosphere that encourages more people to join and stick around.

Hopefully this helps!

Bloodgruve
2013-06-03, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am hesitant to run an 'encounters' or 'delve' for the simple fact that it does less to promote character development and character driven story. The format sounds simple enough though. I'll give it a shot and those who want to participate more often can see better character development. I've gotten better at balancing encounters on the fly so that shouldn't be too tough with a bit of planning.

My current campaign is in Eberron and both parties have busted down airships. Maybe doe a Star Trek 'away team'-esque setup.

Input is appreciated,

Blood~