PDA

View Full Version : Ordained Champion Smite Clarification [3.5]

Kaustic
2013-06-03, 10:22 AM
As stated within the Ordained Champions Smite ability, the OC does extra damage that is the result of your total effective Turning/Rebuking level. Does this mean I am assumed to have rolled a 20 for my Turning Check?

So for example: A max Turning Check would be 21(assumed 20 on die with +1 CHA). so my extra applied damage would be Cleric Level+3 or +9 at level 6.

If so, is there an expanded Turning Check chart that goes beyond the 22 or higher, or can we assume that every 3 levels an additional +1 is ticked on to the Turning Result?

Snowbluff
2013-06-03, 10:31 AM
No, it's equal to the number of levels you have that progress your turning.

Kaustic
2013-06-03, 10:35 AM
No, it's equal to the number of levels you have that progress your turning.

So as Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2, I deal +6 Damage or I actually lose damage.(Turning Check Result chart: Cleric Level -2)

Ugh, Turning, why u so hard?

Snowbluff
2013-06-03, 10:40 AM
So as Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2, I deal +6 Damage or I actually lose damage.(Turning Check Result chart: Cleric Level -2)

Ugh, Turning, why u so hard?

Ordained Champions progress effective cleric level for turning and domain powers. You would get +6 damage.

Chronos
2013-06-03, 10:44 AM
It says turning level, not turning check.

Kaustic
2013-06-03, 10:48 AM
Ah thank you all for the clarification, my mind was a dizzy trying to figure it out in my head.

Keld Denar
2013-06-03, 10:50 AM
You don't even roll on the turning results table, AFAICT. It doesn't tell you to roll on the turning table, so I don't think you would. It only cares about levels in classes that progress turning. If you picked up a level of Fighter, it wouldn't count, but Cleric + OC levels would count (and a few other PrCs).

The real question is: Why is OC smite the ONLY smite in the game that requires any action? You have to expend a swift action which means you can only smite once per round, while every other smite is simply limited to once per attack (individually, you can combine multiple smites in one attack if you have them). If you had 4 attacks in a round and 4 smites, and you really wanted to nova, you could smite once on each of the 4 attacks. But not with OC's smite. I think it is a dramatic break from precedent and I don't like it.