PDA

View Full Version : CR and LA of Spirit Coutls

Clistenes
2013-06-03, 01:20 PM
While checking several variant Shaman handbooks (Green Ronin, Moongoose, etc) I figured that Coutls would make ideal Spirit Allies for good shamans.

But, which do you think is the appropiate CR and LA for a Couatl with the Spirit Template from Green Ronin? (for those people who doesn't know about it, it's essentially like the Ghost Template, but can be added to anything and doesn't change the target's creature type to Undead).

Let see:

Spirit Subtype: I doesn't really add anything, save making the Coutl vulnerable to spirit turning.

Incorporeal Subtype: The Couatls already can cast Etherealness at will as a spell-like power, so it doesn't really add anything to them.

Special Attacks: 1d4 special attacks, one of which is always Manifestation.

-Special Attack Manifestation: The spirit becomes partially material.

-A manifested spirit can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. Same chance as with the Blink spell, which any Couatl could take and cast several times per day. A Blinking creature can be harmed by non-magical weapons, but on the other hand, it still has a 20 % chance of avoiding even Ghost Touch weapons.
-A manifested spirit can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon. Not every spirit has the Spirit Touch special attacks that allows it to attack while manifesting, but a Blinking Couatl can use all his attacks with a +2 to attack and a 20 % chance of failure.
-A manifested spirit and its own attacks pass through armor.Again, not all spirits have the Spirit Touch special attacks that allows it to attack while manifesting.
-When a spellcasting spirit manifests, its spells can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. This is slightly better than the Blink spell, that gives you a 20 % chance of failure but, on the other hand, a Blinking Couatl can use touch spells.
-A manifested spirit can pass through solid objects at will. Same as a Couatl using its Etherealness power.

-Special Attack Materialization: Since Couatls are material when not using a Blink spell of their Etherealness spell-like power, they aready have this.

-Special Attack Spell-like Abilities: The Coults already have a ton of spells and at will Spell-Like powers. Plus, only some spirits have this.

-Special Attack Possession: Nice, but only some spirits have this.

-Special Attack Spirit Touch: Not all spirits have this, but all Couatls can attack material beings.

-Special Attack Ethereal Spellcaster: The spirit can cast some harmless spells like Dancing Lights or Ghost Sound while ethereal.

See Spirits: At will, a materialized spirit can choose to see other spirits in an area. This is 1st level spell.

Rejuvenation (Optional): Some spirits can restores themselves in 2d4 days after being slain. Not very impressive for a 16+ level character.

+4 to Charisma: Nice, but the Fire Souled has a load other things in addition to a Cha bonus like this, and it's a LA +1 template.

+4 turn resistance against anyone besides a creature with the shaman class. Couatls couldn't be turned at all unless they have the Spirit template.

Spirits receive a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. They have a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks when manifested or ethereal. Nice, but nothing exceptional.

In short, the Spirit Template adds very little to a couatl. I think a Couatls with all the Special Attacks and Rejuvenation should get its LA and CR raised by +1, and one with just the Manifestation Special Attack and without Rejuvenation should have its original LA and CR.

Which are your thoughts? I'm curious about what other people think about this.

Urpriest
2013-06-03, 03:11 PM
Presumably Green Ronin published a CR adjustment along with their template, along with an LA adjustment if creatures affected by the template are supposed to be PCs or cohorts. Why don't you want to use their numbers?

Clistenes
2013-06-04, 09:00 AM
Presumably Green Ronin published a CR adjustment along with their template, along with an LA adjustment if creatures affected by the template are supposed to be PCs or cohorts. Why don't you want to use their numbers?

They said the LA was "variable, usually +3 or more".

I think the coualt is one of the creatures whose LA shouldn't rise that much for the reasons I said. I'm not planning to take one as cohort, I just feel curious about the matter.

Clistenes
2013-06-06, 05:22 PM
I've checked Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook, and Couatls are already considered spirits without getting the Spirit Template (pag 64), so my original question doesn't make sense.