PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Time Stop?

Samalpetey
2013-06-03, 02:20 PM
So, I was looking at the stuff for binders and their ilk (I plan on playing an anima mage sometime), and I saw the Anima Mage ability Vestige Metamagic, which lets you apply a metamagic feat you know to all spells cast in a round. Time Stop has a range of personal, so it can be persisted and thus last 24 hours. So what would be a good thing to do with your infinite spare time? (Assuming you cast time stop more than once a day and overlap it)

EDIT: I also just realized you can use the anima mage's capstone to do this as an immediate, still, silent spell once a day :smallbiggrin:

dascarletm
2013-06-03, 02:31 PM
There has been threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281531) about this application. I still stand by my strong belief that said application needs to be a plot. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15145660&postcount=20)

Samalpetey
2013-06-03, 02:37 PM
Dangit, I thought I was really on to something here

Immabozo
2013-06-03, 02:42 PM
There has been threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281531) about this application. I still stand by my strong belief that said application needs to be a plot. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15145660&postcount=20)

I am honored that you linked my thread!

dascarletm
2013-06-03, 02:50 PM
I am honored that you linked my thread!

The pleasure is all mine. The high-level campaign: "The Timeless Ones." is under construction because of that puppy. :smallbiggrin:

Keneth
2013-06-03, 02:50 PM
In Pathfinder, mythic characters can legitimately extend the duration of time stop to 1 hour/level. While I can imagine plenty of things to do with that kind of duration, it's really kind of pointless. Plus, it's like sending an invite to every cosmic horror out there. With Pathfinder's love for the Cthulhu mythos, I'd really rather not provoke Yog-Sothoth, or whatever else decides to take notice. :smallbiggrin:

dascarletm
2013-06-03, 02:52 PM
In Pathfinder, mythic characters can legitimately extend the duration of time stop to 1 hour/level. While I can imagine plenty of things to do with that kind of duration, it's really kind of pointless. Plus, it's like sending an invite to every cosmic horror out there. With Pathfinder's love for the Cthulhu mythos, I'd really rather not provoke Yog-Sothoth, or whatever else decides to take notice. :smallbiggrin:

That reminds me. If in timestopped time, you drop an item, does it cease to fall once you let go? I don't recall if there was rules on that.

Immabozo
2013-06-03, 02:59 PM
The pleasure is all mine. The high-level campaign: "The Timeless Ones." is under construction because of that puppy. :smallbiggrin:

Is it possible for me to play in this campaign? Are you, by any chance, located in Los Angeles?

EDIT: your thing says San Diego... tempting...

Keneth
2013-06-03, 03:08 PM
Items that leave your possession are "stuck in time" as normal. You can also manipulate any non-attended objects. This allows you to set up some pretty fancy traps/mechanisms if you have virtually unlimited time. The whole "can't target creatures" bit, while understandable, is kinda silly though. It would be insanely awesome if you could fire projectiles at them from every side and watch them get impaled by a hail of arrows when you dismiss the spell.

Samalpetey
2013-06-03, 03:23 PM
Items that leave your possession are "stuck in time" as normal. You can also manipulate any non-attended objects. This allows you to set up some pretty fancy traps/mechanisms if you have virtually unlimited time. The whole "can't target creatures" bit, while understandable, is kinda silly though. It would be insanely awesome if you could fire projectiles at them from every side and watch them get impaled by a hail of arrows when you dismiss the spell.

You could set up a bunch of crossbows to fire when the time stop ends for pretty much the same effect though

Amnestic
2013-06-03, 04:01 PM

I think I recall that being possible in Baldur's Gate 2. And yes, it was awesome. Another fun trick was to set up a bunch of Magic Missiles at different angles. Effective? Eh, marginally. Pretty? Oh yes :smalltongue:

Immabozo
2013-06-03, 04:22 PM
I think I recall that being possible in Baldur's Gate 2. And yes, it was awesome. Another fun trick was to set up a bunch of Magic Missiles at different angles. Effective? Eh, marginally. Pretty? Oh yes :smalltongue:

I loved that game! I loved soling with a FMT and when I had to pull out all the stops to just massacre a difficult group of opponents, I'd cast similacrum, then both would buff up (I really loved using blur and mirror image together) and then both hide in shadows, move silently behind two of the toughest enemies, activate critical strike HLA, backstab (hundreds of damage! No one ever survived that was subject to backstabs!) and then the similacrum would burn throu HLA like he was going to disappear in a minute, cause he was, and I would cast mislead, everyone would focus on the image and I would improved invis behind everyone and backstab each one.

Great tactic, worked every time I needed it!

Keneth
2013-06-03, 05:03 PM
Yeh, time stop + improved alacrity + robe of vecna pretty much allowed you to empty your entire arsenal on a group of enemies. Apart from the improved bhaalspawns (if you played with Ascension), nothing survived. It was one of my favorite tactics when playing a sorcerer (or the very occasional wizard).

But BG2 was a computer game, and therefore had very strict rules and constraints. Time stop in PnP is worded as such because of the infinitely more complex situations you can think of when you're only limited by your imagination.